1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Speed Camera POI

taurus Jul 13, 2015

1. Audi Ashley

Audi Ashley Registered User

Do you need to have a paid subcription to download the camera database ?

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. oli356

oli356 Registered User

For the application yes as it uses pocketgpsworld data. There are sites to get free databases though, no idea how they compare..

4. mcaddy

mcaddy Registered User

A few times on this thread people have reported an issue where the car states that the 'data is too old to load', I've not previously had the time or inclination to look into it, however it turns out to have been a relatively simple thing to fix, hopefully it'll benefit some.

All that was required was to add the following two lines to the 'metainfo2.txt' file. I'm guessing that vehicles check that their variant is listed before accepting the file. in other variants the two letters after the EU are the Manufacture, so I'm guessing this change means that all MQB Skodas should now work and all MLE audis (not sure what MLE stands for?) Also not sure what the difference is between the FMU FM2 and FMQ designations.

variant7 = "FM2-H-*-EU-SK-MQB"
    variant8 = "FMQ-*-*-EU-AU-MLE"

New version now up on the site http://git.mcaddy.co.uk/, you should now be running v0.9.4

5. IgorFB

IgorFB Registered User

Just found out about this, do I just subscribe to PockerGPS, download the files and use mcaddy's software to load it onto my SD card? I've got a 2018 S3 with the tech pack.

Thanks,

6. Audi Ashley

I need to find a free speed camera database I can use with this. I had a good look and found one, csv in zip format, but when i tried to use it with the app, the app just closed.

7. JohnM100

JohnM100 Registered User Gold Supporter VCDS Map User

Just subscribe to PGPSW - it’s only 20GBP a year and the database will be more up to date than any freebie / pirated version.

Have been a member for ~15 years.

Bells likes this.
  8. Audi Ashley

Only £20? I got mouths to feed.

9. mcaddy

mcaddy Registered User

If it's an identical format to the Pocket GPS file it ought to work but it's not how the tool has been designed or tested.

10. glospete

glospete Registered User

So someone should collect the data and provide it free - how does that work? You've got a £30K car (I guess) and £20 is too much for a useful service like PGPS. Easy solution - don't get it and just take the risk. Thousands, nay millions of others do just that. Just saying .....

lfcrule1972 likes this.
  11. JohnM100

@mcaddy - thanks for doing this. Will be giving it a go over the weekend. Looking at the instructions on your site, it covers verified mobiles but not unverified cameras - could the latter be added too? I know that Audi system limits the number of special destination categories.

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. Bells

Bells Registered User

Don’t think Audi have a limit that I know of, I’ve got all types of cameras loaded never had any issues

14. JohnM100

Good to know - I thought the limit was 10 categories

15. sentinal13

sentinal13 Registered User

yes

16. JackQuint

JackQuint Registered User

I have subscribed to PWGPS, but don't really need it for my jurisdiction as our red light and speed cam locations are freely published by the provincial government on Google Maps so I have it in gpx/kml/kmz formats anyway. My question is more around challenges with the tools. McAddy defaults to downloading the EU version of the PWGPS database. My preference would be to use a North American wide version (I'm in Canada but frequently drive to the US) but cannot find a way of getting that database into my MMI unit.

Any thoughts? Also, anyone figured out how to get audible warnings on the MMI units that don't have Audi Connect (like on my 2018 RS3) and therefore do not support "special destinations"?

17. mcaddy

mcaddy Registered User

The App will give you the choice of including either only verified or both verified and unverified cameras, this has been an optional setting since the outset. The default is to include all cameras regardless of status.

I think the AUDI website might have a limit, but the software I've written doesn't and I've yet to create a database (80k POIs across ~15 categories) that fails to load in my car.

JohnM100 likes this.
  18. mcaddy

mcaddy Registered User

Your the first to request anything other than UK cameras, until this becomes a regular request, I'll not implement anything specific. For now if you use the app but fail to login (supply a invalid password or username). You should then be prompted to do a manual download and import, if you go to PocketGPSWorld fetch the download you'd prefer, choose 'Other - CSV' as the satnav system and the relevant region. Once downloaded this file can be used with my app to create the database for MMI import.

19. eribaMotters

eribaMotters Registered User

I must admit I'm a bit of a bore. One problem with having speed camera location is it's illegal in France where we probably do 2,00 miles a year. Chances of getting pulled are slim biut the fine could be heavy, so beware if your going this route.
    I normally use the cars satnav, but when towing have a Garmin/Avtex unit that automatically switches off camera location when in france.

Colin

20. JackQuint

JackQuint Registered User

Thanks for the reply ... not looking for you to do a ton of work, will give this approach a try and see how it goes. Thanks again.

21. MSi

MSi Registered User

having speed camera location is illegal??? WHAAA?? Have you ever used waze app on phone???
    you wan to tell me if I use it am criminal or ??

22. eribaMotters

eribaMotters Registered User

You are not allowed any speed camera detection or location information, warning device etc in France.
    The facts are it is illegal. If you want to risk it then it's down to you.

Colin

23. MSi

MSi Registered User

they will never know they are daft they think smartphone is just for calling :D :D :D

24. 1Rockape

1Rockape Registered User

Hi all I've been trying to add these onto my fl 8v but keep getting a error message as per photo . I've done on my tt 8s no problem. My a3 has sim embedded tt hasn't. Have audi updated to stop this .thanks in advance [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

25. mcaddy

mcaddy Registered User

TonkS3 and oli356 like this.
  26. ScottishA4B9

ScottishA4B9 Registered User

Does anybody know how I can remove these? Trying to turn my car back to standard before I return it. Thanks

27. DJAlix

DJAlix VAG Car Coding™ Limited Site Sponsor Gold Supporter VCDS Map User VAG Can Professional ODIS (Offboard Diagnostic System)

Should be an option in your MMI to delete myAudi special destinations