Speechless!! Retarded stealer!!

larbel

Reaction score
So someone backed up into my car back in Feb, and after a month of torture with insurance company and all, finally got them to agreed to replace the bumper, front grill and hood. Went to the official Audi service Hong Kong for the repair even though the bill is like 3 times what regular body shop would charge. (US$11K!!)

Anyway, 3 weeks in the shop and finally got it back just now and wow.. just wow!! I'm mostly happy with the result, the Sepang is matched, they spray painted the entire front including the 2 side fenders to ensure the color matches.. There are slight paint cutoff at the end of the side fender where it meets the door, but I guess I can live with that, BUT! Some retarded decided to spray the INTERIOR of the hood with clear coat!!!! It's not super shinny like the exterior, but still way shinier than it supposed to... Am I being a jerk if I go back and bitch about this? And anything can be done safely to remove the clear coat?

Besides that, the hood catch cover clip broke but wasn't replaced, and they replaced only the front license plate so the front and back now mismatch.. I know it might be all nitpicking, but I'm the victim and I had to shell out 1/5th of the costs till the other guy's insurance pays (which would be in about a year!) Should I just suck it up or go back and b!tch?

I might be missing something here lol, but why does it matter if the inside of the bonnet is lacquered?

There are some areas in the engine bay (albeit not the bonnet I'm referring to) that my detailer actually said was very strange that they weren't lacquered and he hasn't seen that before

Reactions: larbel, pburv and Audi Bairn
So someone backed up into my car back in Feb, and after a month of torture with insurance company and all, finally got them to agreed to replace the bumper, front grill and hood. Went to the official Audi service Hong Kong for the repair even though the bill is like 3 times what regular body shop would charge. (US$11K!!)

Anyway, 3 weeks in the shop and finally got it back just now and wow.. just wow!! I'm mostly happy with the result, the Sepang is matched, they spray painted the entire front including the 2 side fenders to ensure the color matches.. There are slight paint cutoff at the end of the side fender where it meets the door, but I guess I can live with that, BUT! Some retarded decided to spray the INTERIOR of the hood with clear coat!!!! It's not super shinny like the exterior, but still way shinier than it supposed to... Am I being a jerk if I go back and bitch about this? And anything can be done safely to remove the clear coat?

Besides that, the hood catch cover clip broke but wasn't replaced, and they replaced only the front license plate so the front and back now mismatch.. I know it might be all nitpicking, but I'm the victim and I had to shell out 1/5th of the costs till the other guy's insurance pays (which would be in about a year!) Should I just suck it up or go back and b!tch?

Its when that happens bud but atleast you are getting it sorted! In my last car I was crashed into by an uninsured driver so had to claim off myself to get my own car fixed

Is the clear coated under bonnet really that annoying? You never see it and i guess it looks good when you are having a look in the engine bay

Id go back and demand they fix the catch cover clip as it was damaged due to the accident.

As for the license plate if I was you Id go get my own plain plates made.... I had giving the dealer free advertising first thing I do is get new plates made and peal off all the window stickers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: pburv and Audi Bairn
I've never seen any auto maker clear coat the interior of the bonnet and engine bay, my problem is when it come the time to sell the car, 99.9 percent of the people would think it's been in a major accident and I'll have to spend time to try to convince them otherwise.. Well at least if I buy a used car, first thing to check would be under the hood for repaint and accident traces...

I've never seen any auto maker clear coat the interior of the bonnet and engine bay, my problem is when it come the time to sell the car, 99.9 percent of the people would think it's been in a major accident and I'll have to spend time to try to convince them otherwise.. Well at least if I buy a used car, first thing to check would be under the hood for repaint and accident traces...

Id honestly tell the person that it was in an accident but want to show them that the work was carried out by audi and is back to factory as new condition.

In the UK you can get depreciation payments to cover the "drop in value" of the car so you aren't loosing out due to someone else's bad driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say yes, you would be a 'jerk' as you say.

Shows they did a more thorough job!!

I'd say yes, you would be a 'jerk' as you say.

Shows they did a more thorough job!!

I'm not saying I WILL go back and complaint, but saying they did a more thorough job is completely mistaken!!! In what world would any body shop spray the inner side with top coat? You haven't seen the result in person, it looks completely decent from the outside but once you pop the hood, it looks like those American muscle car with weird paint job from the '80s! Glossy does NOT fit inside the hood at all!!!!

I'm not saying I WILL go back and complaint, but saying they did a more thorough job is completely mistaken!!! In what world would any body shop spray the inner side with top coat? You haven't seen the result in person, it looks completely decent from the outside but once you pop the hood, it looks like those American muscle car with weird paint job from the '80s! Glossy does NOT fit inside the hood at all!!!!

It's thorough because they ensured that they lifted the bonnet to get good coverage on all the edges! I have never seen that before! Watch the factory videos, they open all panels to get all of the shuts etc to ensure good coverage. That's what they have done, most would just paint to the edge of the bonnet.

I'd be happy with that.

Post pictures so we can see?

Reactions: pburv and LewMcC
Trying to remember my R32, I have a feeling the underside of the bonnet had be clear coated.

I was actually surprised that the underside of the S3 bonnet wasn't clear coated so I'd be pleased personally.

Reactions: larbel, MattSedg, pburv and 3 others
It's standard practice not to lacquer the engine bay and anything that's generally trimmed as a cost save. Most of the bonnet is covered by the sound deadening pad so a potential buyer would have to be very observant to notice this as the bonnet is open and away from the engine bay there is enough separation for it not to look odd it's just that it's different to what you're used to so personally I'd leave it. Trying to make it matt is likely to do more harm than good. Would like mine to be lacquered as would be easier to clean !

Yep to the catch and the number plates though ;o)

Reactions: larbel, pburv, mikemod and 1 other person
My very first Audi had a front wing replaced before I bought it (minor car park bump).....The only way I knew this was the different paint that was sprayed on the part that bolts the wing to the inner wing...They had sprayed the whole interior of the wing Ming Blue and left the other wing as it left the factory ....I suffer slightly with OCD so as you can imagine this bugged me haha.....Anyway I complained to the dealer about the miss match and they asked the bodyshop to look into it....Turned out that the inside of the wing has a specific paint code and sprayed it...Everything looked as it should....Happy Days:racer:
The point I'm trying to make is ....If it annoys you get them to at least look at it.You never know there could be a specific paint code for the underside of the bonnet/hood ??:cheerful:

Reactions: larbel and Rob2k68
It's thorough because they ensured that they lifted the bonnet to get good coverage on all the edges! I have never seen that before! Watch the factory videos, they open all panels to get all of the shuts etc to ensure good coverage. That's what they have done, most would just paint to the edge of the bonnet.

I'd be happy with that.

Post pictures so we can see?

I get what you're saying, but it is NOT thorough but rather sloppy because it's a BRAND NEW REPLACEMENT hood! It had NO paint to begin with so they HAD to spray the underside. And the more I examine it, the more I'm annoyed... It's not the whole underside that's top coated, but only partially here and there! So some area would appear to be more glossy than the others, it's more like they didn't take the time to mask the underside when spraying the top coat rather than doing it on purpose. I did try to take pictures, but it wouldn't show in the bad garage lighting even with phone flash, I'll try to take a few tomorrow under sunlight.

And if you look at your engine bay, you'll see because of the matte color of the engine bay, the color appeared LIGHTER than the outer panels! So the underside of my hood now looks DARKER than the engine bay! I'm sure this is more obvious because of Sepang, but yeah, it's annoying the heck out of me right now. And speaking of sloppy, I noticed lots of water condensation around the driver side headlight area as I was going through the hood, turned out the two AC hose's caps are missing, and the hood release cable is just hanging there on top of the driver side headlight... I'm sure there's supposed to be a clip or something, if someone could help and take a picture...

Reactions: Rob2k68
I get what you're saying, but it is NOT thorough but rather sloppy because it's a BRAND NEW REPLACEMENT hood! It had NO paint to begin with so they HAD to spray the underside. And the more I examine it, the more I'm annoyed... It's not the whole underside that's top coated, but only partially here and there! So some area would appear to be more glossy than the others, it's more like they didn't take the time to mask the underside when spraying the top coat rather than doing it on purpose. I did try to take pictures, but it wouldn't show in the bad garage lighting even with phone flash, I'll try to take a few tomorrow under sunlight.

And if you look at your engine bay, you'll see because of the matte color of the engine bay, the color appeared LIGHTER than the outer panels! So the underside of my hood now looks DARKER than the engine bay! I'm sure this is more obvious because of Sepang, but yeah, it's annoying the heck out of me right now. And speaking of sloppy, I noticed lots of water condensation around the driver side headlight area as I was going through the hood, turned out the two AC hose's caps are missing, and the hood release cable is just hanging there on top of the driver side headlight... I'm sure there's supposed to be a clip or something, if someone could help and take a picture...

I think it's us that need to be providing photos and not you. I don't think any car leaves factory with clear coat on the bonnet underside. No bonnet ever does. Your car wouldn't have left the factory with clear coat on the underside.

If you think it is that bad, exhaust your energy on the repairer and not on here.....

Reactions: Rob2k68 and GSB
I think it's us that need to be providing photos and not you. I don't think any car leaves factory with clear coat on the bonnet underside. No bonnet ever does. Your car wouldn't have left the factory with clear coat on the underside.

If you think it is that bad, exhaust your energy on the repairer and not on here.....

If it's not consistent that's a whole new ball park and would bug me too - sounds more like overspray to me.

Unfortunately the fix for that is to polish it so it's likely to go more glossy than matt and the better option may be for a uniform coat of lacquer. Take it back and see what they say.

Good luck.

Reactions: larbel, pburv and Tom.H
If it's not consistent that's a whole new ball park and would bug me too - sounds more like overspray to me.

Unfortunately the fix for that is to polish it so it's likely to go more glossy than matt and the better option may be for a uniform coat of lacquer. Take it back and see what they say.

Good luck.

All depends on what it looks like, as we haven't been supplied with photos. I suspect the bonnet was painted off the car on a stand anyway, it would have been painted top and bottom and then to ensure the edges that close between it and the wing are lacquered they probably had some overspray of clearcoat. I really wouldn't be bothered, providing the rest of the paint externally is fine. I've had some shoddy paint jobs done and I'd be over the moon with the work done here if the externals are good.

I've had it before where you can see grey lacquer through the paint, see scoring marks in filler beneath the paint!!

Reactions: larbel, pburv and Rob2k68

It was late at night when I posted this, Audi was closed and I was mostly asking for opinion and venting, that's what forum is for right? Anyway, don't want to argue, everyone's acceptance level is different, that's why I went to Audi service instead of independent body shop paying 3 times as much wanting to retain the OEM look but obviously failed.

Can anyone help and post a picture of the hood release cable fixture above the right headlight? I'm not sure if the cable should go inside the clip and if the clip is broken... The cable was stuck between the headlight and the metal frame, I had to pull it out and now it's hanging loose.

IMG 2541

It was late at night when I posted this, Audi was closed and I was mostly asking for opinion and venting, that's what forum is for right? Anyway, don't want to argue, everyone's acceptance level is different, that's why I went to Audi service instead of independent body shop paying 3 times as much wanting to retain the OEM look but obviously failed.

Can anyone help and post a picture of the hood release cable fixture above the right headlight? I'm not sure if the cable should go inside the clip and if the clip is broken... The cable was stuck between the headlight and the metal frame, I had to pull it out and now it's hanging loose.

View attachment 123043

I have checked the S3, the cable goes between the plastic fork you have highlighted.

Reactions: pburv and larbel
Hi larbel,
I'm with you , if its not as it should be then take it back and give them the opportunity to put it right, which surely must be as originally from new.
As you say we all have different acceptance levels with work but its your car so they only have to please you. Despite what has been said,I'm not so sure many people would put up with over spray even if it is under the bonnet! Keep at it and let us know how you get on.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and larbel

View attachment 123043
IMG 4637

IMG 4635
IMG 4631

Personally, I wouldn't worry about someone going the extra mile and laquering the underside of the bonnet.

Reactions: Rob2k68, larbel and azibux1
View attachment 123124
View attachment 123125 View attachment 123126
Personally, I wouldn't worry about someone going the extra mile and laquering the underside of the bonnet.

Thanks guys!! But trust me... Mine look BAD.. The picture doesn't pick it up, but you get the idea... And to add insult to injury, I just discovered THREE small bumps on the front right fender!!! Not even sure if it's fixable at all by paintless dent removal...

IMG 2542

In fairness nor would I GSB if it was all done the same, probably easier to keep clean, but this bit from the OP makes it sound a right mess.
' ... It's not the whole underside that's top coated, but only partially here and there! So some area would appear to be more glossy than the others, .

Hmmm.

That I'm afraid is the difference between a motion mappped robotic machine clear coating an entire assembled body shell in one hit, and a man painting a panel by hand. When you hand spray the clear coat at an angle that gets the all important coverage of the panel edge, some will naturally go a little further. Since most reasonable humans never even look at the underside of the bonnet, it doesn't matter, and it's incidental. He could of course have masked off the underside of the bonnet before applying the clear coat, but it's a lot of time, effort and materials he's not getting paid for, and it's not important to the final finish of the car. Bear in mind most cars (as in almost all of them) never ever get cleaned under the bonnet, most people never even look.

Personally, although I sympathise, I think you're overthinking it and being way too fussy.

Reactions: azibux1 and AudiNutta
I am a super nit picky person as well, with a slight obsessive compulsive disorder when it comes to cars. For example, I accidentally dimpled one of my paddle shifters and now I want to replace the whole thing.

But even I can accept a bit of glossy clear coat under the hood. I would say the only reason the manufacturing process doesn't apply clear coat under the hood is to save on cost. It hurts absolutely nothing to have it there and no other human being would notice it.

Well, a little update, I just returned from Audi service and...

1) They put back the AC hose caps, and clip back the hood release cable in place.
2) They will have to order the plastic piece before they can replace the broken one for me.
3) There apparently are MANY bumps/dimples on the left front fender! They offered to fix it, but it'll be fill and paint which I don't accept, if I insists on PDR then it'll be on my own expense, still fighting with them about this one.
4) There's one paint built up spot on the edge of the right front fender.. They offered to sand and polish it.
5) As soon as I bought up the hood question, the sales rep was shocked, he confirmed my request on making sure it's all OEM like when dropping off the car, and the head tech guy came out and admitted it's wrong and shouldn't have happened. There are indeed different color code for body and engine bay!!!!! They offered to fix it of course, but it'll be the correct color spray on top!

So now.. For the PDR thing, the paint isn't harden enough for PDR, so I'd likely need to wait a month before PDR fixing them. But for the hood, it is wrong, no question now, but should I bother to fix it? If they remove the hood and spray the inner side, chances are there might be scratches or damage to the outer side, but knowing that it is wrong makes me even more annoyed now...

Reactions: Rob2k68
But for the hood, it is wrong, no question now, but should I bother to fix it? If they remove the hood and spray the inner side, chances are there might be scratches or damage to the outer side, but knowing that it is wrong makes me even more annoyed now...

You either want it fixed, or you don't. It's your choice, make it and be happy.

Reactions: Rob2k68, Supa Koopa and AudiNutta
Well, a little update, I just returned from Audi service and...

1) They put back the AC hose caps, and clip back the hood release cable in place.
2) They will have to order the plastic piece before they can replace the broken one for me.
3) There apparently are MANY bumps/dimples on the left front fender! They offered to fix it, but it'll be fill and paint which I don't accept, if I insists on PDR then it'll be on my own expense, still fighting with them about this one.
4) There's one paint built up spot on the edge of the right front fender.. They offered to sand and polish it.
5) As soon as I bought up the hood question, the sales rep was shocked, he confirmed my request on making sure it's all OEM like when dropping off the car, and the head tech guy came out and admitted it's wrong and shouldn't have happened. There are indeed different color code for body and engine bay!!!!! They offered to fix it of course, but it'll be the correct color spray on top!

So now.. For the PDR thing, the paint isn't harden enough for PDR, so I'd likely need to wait a month before PDR fixing them. But for the hood, it is wrong, no question now, but should I bother to fix it? If they remove the hood and spray the inner side, chances are there might be scratches or damage to the outer side, but knowing that it is wrong makes me even more annoyed now...

That's good progress mate.

Given how the bonnet inner and outer are joined masking should be straight forward and it's in there interest to do it well without causing any further issues so if it'll annoy you then get it done.