Something wrong with my MAF sensor/Intake?

saq85

Reaction score
Currently trying to diagnose why I feel like my S3 doesnt have a punch to it so ive done some data logging and wanted some expert opinions from you guys...
max air flow i ever get is 235 g/s with the AmD intake which is supposed to be the best...

Looking at the graphs ive seen theres a dip in the g/s while my foot has been planted...
BTW im on stage 2+.
These are my 3rd and 4th gear runs

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
3rd
4th

Plot your boost on a seperate y axis with a smaller scale...

Will do when I get back on the laptop. For some reason I forgot to log requested boost.

This is my requested boost vs actual + requested fuel rail vs actual...

Attachments

• boostrail.jpg
    boostrail.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 218
Had my car in a garage for a dyno run and smoke test..
BAD NEWS :(
dyno run pulled 309 max bhp with 280 lb/ft torque..
its suppose to be stage 2+ ive had 347 on a dyno before :/

They did a smoke test to find that the MAF housing on the intake pipe is leaking out smoke but it shouldnt cause that much of an issue they said. something else is wrong :/

Surely though if the maf housing is leaking then that will give a false maf reading and mess up the fuel/air mixture?
Have you checked fuel trims block 32
P.s. Don't mistake me for being knowledgeable, im halfway up the steep learning curve myself lol:think:

You have had exactly the same problem as me . I had the same intake and did a smoke test and had a leak. Changed my intake to a revo pipe and amd filter on Sunday for peace of mind . I was told also that it should cause any problems if the maf is leaking .

Last edited:
Surely though if the maf housing is leaking then that will give a false maf reading and mess up the fuel/air mixture?
Have you checked fuel trims block 32
P.s. Don't mistake me for being knowledgeable, im halfway up the steep learning curve myself lol:think:
Yeah thats what i thought :/ I havnt checked them before ill give it shot when I get her back tomorrow, trouble is ive just got a new clutch put today so i wont be able to give it beans until 500 miles later :s

You have had exactly the same problem as me . I had the same intake and did a smoke test and had a leak. Changed my intake to a revo pipe and amd filter on Sunday for peace of mind . I was told also that it should cause any problems if the maf is leaking .
I really cant afford to get a new intake right now! mrs will go nuts! I may try putting some silicone sealer around the housing but thats an extreme, would much rather want some sort of gasket to sit in between the maf housing and pipe.

What map are you using ?
its a AmD stage 2+ map.

*sigh*

@-Ju- and lol @ not being someone knowledgable, mate, im just replacing parts at random right now. theyre changing the n80, n75, cam follower, and all sorts. i dont even think theres anything wrong with them parts.

Does anyone elses S3 make a tss tss tss tss noise when you plant to pedal to the floor at low revs in 3rd/4th... apparantly its normal and the turbo is building boost.

You can check block 32 anytime mate, don't need it running as its long term fuel trim (ltft) and fairly static

what is it that im looking for, what does it mean if its been trimmed :s

Basically block 32 will give you 2 values, short term and long term fuel trim.
What it basically tells us is the actual fuel mixture measured by the lambda.
This is then used by the ECU to correct any errors
In an ideal world it would read 0 but that is almost impossible.
The stock intake is somewhere around 3~4 ltft but aftermarket CAI are renowned for poor trim values and can be as high as 20!
Anything under 10 is fine over that and the ECU will struggle to adapt
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Fuel_Trim_Info

Your requested and actual boost pressure looks wery low to be a stage 2+ map. only 2250-2300mbar(1.25-1.3bar) most stage 2+ maps request closer to 2550mbar(1.55bar) boost! this can explain the little lower maf reading you have!

Basically block 32 will give you 2 values, short term and long term fuel trim.
What it basically tells us is the actual fuel mixture measured by the lambda.
This is then used by the ECU to correct any errors
In an ideal world it would read 0 but that is almost impossible.
The stock intake is somewhere around 3~4 ltft but aftermarket CAI are renowned for poor trim values and can be as high as 20!
Anything under 10 is fine over that and the ECU will struggle to adapt
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Fuel_Trim_Info
Thanks I've just read the link I will try that tomorrow.:) will update this thread then.
Your requested and actual boost pressure looks wery low to be a stage 2+ map. only 2250-2300mbar(1.25-1.3bar) most stage 2+ maps request closer to 2550mbar(1.55bar) boost! this can explain the little lower maf reading you have!
Yeah that's true. But that boost should still push to around 350 horses.

The sinking feeling I got in my gut was horrible when I saw 309bhp!

@Alex_Wil
Was your power very low when you had this leak around the maf sensor

Yes . I arranged the first rr day at AMD and i was running AMD intake and their stage 2+ software - after my run on the rr the power was very low. my next step was the the smoke test which revealed i had a leak around the maf and a small boost leak (which got fixed by the garage doing the smoke test) then went back to AMD to see if they could sort out the Maf and they replaced the silicone hoses . think mine eventually read 350bhp and 245 lbs tourqe. then i went hybrid and apr

Yes . I arranged the first rr day at AMD and i was running AMD intake and their stage 2+ software - after my run on the rr the power was very low. my next step was the the smoke test which revealed i had a leak around the maf and a small boost leak (which got fixed by the garage doing the smoke test) then went back to AMD to see if they could sort out the Maf and they replaced the silicone hoses . think mine eventually read 350bhp and 245 lbs tourqe. then i went hybrid and apr

I guess I need to take it back to amd. I've had the intake for 2 years now, they will probably just charge me for a new one! I need an Apr map or Rtech. Blah
My wife's noticed I'm moping around like a angry gorilla without his banana.

Reactions: Jake 61 and Alex_Wil
They did a through check on my car and basically took it apart and put it back on so im sure they van help :)

They did a through check on my car and basically took it apart and put it back on so im sure they van help :)
Thanks, will have to make an effort to see them once my clutch has bed in.

Reactions: Alex_Wil
Thanks I've just read the link I will try that tomorrow.:) will update this thread then.

Yeah that's true. But that boost should still push to around 350 horses.

The sinking feeling I got in my gut was horrible when I saw 309bhp!

Yes 350hp can still be possible with using higher timing instead!:) but the low end tourqe and maf reading will be lower with lower boost. for me 235g/s sounds correct for your boost level. Your boost level is closer to most stage 1 maps for this engine. And the dyno power also is more correct for stage 1 power. Have you checked for CF pull?You see this if you log block 020!:)

Reactions: saq85
The dip you have in g/s reading around 3000rpm is only N75 adjusting down boost pressure. becouse this Turbo kicks inn full right before 3000rpm and have tendency to overboost a little above requested boost. this is the nature of this Turbo.

Yes 350hp can still be possible with using higher timing instead!:) but the low end tourqe and maf reading will be lower with lower boost. for me 235g/s sounds correct for your boost level. Your boost level is closer to most stage 1 maps for this engine. And the dyno power also is more correct for stage 1 power. Have you checked for CF pull?You see this if you log block 020!:)
Thanks for your reply,
I also think it is stage 1 power, but with all the relevent hardware (+map) it really should be stage 2+.
No i havnt checked for CF pull (i dont know what cf pull is), will be doing a bit of testing when i get my car back..

Actually.. wait a minute, ive done quite a bit of logging 1 week ago following the goapr guide, and looking at the vcds website it says block 020 is the ignition ******...
which i have logged.
Ill get them up on here in a sec...

The dip you have in g/s reading around 3000rpm is only N75 adjusting down boost pressure. becouse this Turbo kicks inn full right before 3000rpm and have tendency to overboost a little above requested boost. this is the nature of this Turbo.

So its not a faulty n75 then *sob*

Again, thanks for everyone replying! really appreciate it.

Thanks for your reply,
I also think it is stage 1 power, but with all the relevent hardware (+map) it really should be stage 2+.
No i havnt checked for CF pull (i dont know what cf pull is), will be doing a bit of testing when i get my car back..

Actually.. wait a minute, ive done quite a bit of logging 1 week ago following the goapr guide, and looking at the vcds website it says block 020 is the ignition ******...
which i have logged.
Ill get them up on here in a sec...

So its not a faulty n75 then *sob*

Again, thanks for everyone replying! really appreciate it.

Yep correct! CF pull is same as ignition ****** in %.

No your N75 looks fine!:) you can aslo see it inn your boost log what happens, at 2900rpm. the actuall boost peaks little higher than Ecu request therfore the Ecu lower N75 duty cycle to put actual boost back to requested value.

ive checked measuring blocks 032 and 033,, 032 had 1%, and the other one was at 0. saying that the garage i was at must have reset all codes and thus resetted the info on these blocks

ive checked measuring blocks 032 and 033,, 032 had 1%, and the other one was at 0. saying that the garage i was at must have reset all codes and thus resetted the info on these blocks

Drive some more miles then check fuel trims(032) one more time. If they are still in same value or +/-5 on bothe values, the intake is fine! Then i think only solution to make more power is a more agressive map.

Hmm maybe it was just my clutch slip that gave me low figures. :s going to take it to Amd this Friday to see what happens on their rollers

Took my car to AmD yesterday and it made 350+ bhp on dyno which was OK but torque was only around 325ft lb. They tried to tinker with the map but they couldnt get into it it was locking them out (whatever that means) need to go back another day *sigh*

Took my car to AmD yesterday and it made 350+ bhp on dyno which was OK but torque was only around 325ft lb. They tried to tinker with the map but they couldnt get into it it was locking them out (whatever that means) need to go back another day *sigh*

Software issues are a pain.

Ironing all of the little faults that occur takes so much time.

In comparison to this,and we'd been through some of this on lower stages on mine too,running an aftermarket ECU seems to have been much less problematic so far,but it's not something I'd recommend for anything less than the sort of spec I've got,as the costs are too high.

The stock ECU does seem to have conflicts with some software,but usually it can be got around with time.

Good luck.

Reactions: Mario8P
Software issues are a pain.

Ironing all of the little faults that occur takes so much time.

In comparison to this,and we'd been through some of this on lower stages on mine too,running an aftermarket ECU seems to have been much less problematic so far,but it's not something I'd recommend for anything less than the sort of spec I've got,as the costs are too high.

The stock ECU does seem to have conflicts with some software,but usually it can be got around with time.

Good luck.
Many thanks for your reply Alex, I think you are 100% correct. Its definitely a time and cost issue. I just wish it would run how its meant to! Anyway time will tell. Yeah the aftermarket ECU is out of the question for me right now.
I think the biggest mistake I've made is taking my car to AmD as its so far away from me. And quite an effort going to and from them.
But oh well :)

I always advise somewhere close if possible,but also I do recommend AMD,who have done very well for me over a long time.

Software issues are the hardest to deal with,aside from sensor problems,and we have had to deal with both.
The most difficult of all was a wonky throttle body,giving incorrect load factors,and that was a pig to track down.

Reactions: Alex_Wil
So today was another emotional rollercoaster... Took it back to AmD (I'm from bham by the way).
Left bham at around 0830 and reached there around 1120, gave them my keys and asked them roughly how long it would take, the guy at the desk was reluctant to give me an answer which is understandable as they are always quite busy.. But he did say late afternoon.

I asked if I could just Have an Apr map, to which Shaun (the guy doing the mapping) replied he has spent 2hours writing a map for my car, so I thought OK let's just try the new AmD map..

Anyway I trotted off (slightly annoyed as I wanted to miss the rush hour traffic getting back to brum) wasted some time in the retail park and had a fair few overpriced coffee's from Starbucks :D

So I got a call from them at around 1530 saying that they still can't read/write to ECU and will need to remove it from the car and need permission to do it, I obviously agreed as I just wanted my underpowered car running as it should.

So I went back and waited in the waiting area on an emotional hype. Nervous.. Waiting to hear bad news (yet again), or news that they've put a new map on but its still producing low figures but was I wrong...

What ever Shaun and the team did worked a treat!
I ended up with 365bhp and 365lbft! (Previously figures were around 347bhp and 329lbft) And the best part about this all is they didn't charge me anything extra for spending all this time on it! I had paid for a dyno run last Friday, and they tried to get into my ECU for about an hour and today they used around 2 hours of their time and did another dyno run, they even called me down and let me record it :D

At first I felt really disappointed with the AmD team just with the figures I got and the fact that they were reluctant to put on the Apr map, but I'm so glad they were reluctant because they saved me £600 (Apr map price).

A big thank you to Shaun and all the rest of the AmD team. I'm glad I went stage 2+ with you guys :)

The car is rapid now and I think if I put wings on it it will fly.

- a very satisfied customer.

Reactions: S3Alex
So today was another emotional rollercoaster... Took it back to AmD (I'm from bham by the way).
Left bham at around 0830 and reached there around 1120, gave them my keys and asked them roughly how long it would take, the guy at the desk was reluctant to give me an answer which is understandable as they are always quite busy.. But he did say late afternoon.

I asked if I could just Have an Apr map, to which Shaun (the guy doing the mapping) replied he has spent 2hours writing a map for my car, so I thought OK let's just try the new AmD map..

Anyway I trotted off (slightly annoyed as I wanted to miss the rush hour traffic getting back to brum) wasted some time in the retail park and had a fair few overpriced coffee's from Starbucks :D

So I got a call from them at around 1530 saying that they still can't read/write to ECU and will need to remove it from the car and need permission to do it, I obviously agreed as I just wanted my underpowered car running as it should.

So I went back and waited in the waiting area on an emotional hype. Nervous.. Waiting to hear bad news (yet again), or news that they've put a new map on but its still producing low figures but was I wrong...

What ever Shaun and the team did worked a treat!
I ended up with 365bhp and 365lbft! (Previously figures were around 347bhp and 329lbft) And the best part about this all is they didn't charge me anything extra for spending all this time on it! I had paid for a dyno run last Friday, and they tried to get into my ECU for about an hour and today they used around 2 hours of their time and did another dyno run, they even called me down and let me record it :D

At first I felt really disappointed with the AmD team just with the figures I got and the fact that they were reluctant to put on the Apr map, but I'm so glad they were reluctant because they saved me £600 (Apr map price).

A big thank you to Shaun and all the rest of the AmD team. I'm glad I went stage 2+ with you guys :)

The car is rapid now and I think if I put wings on it it will fly.

- a very satisfied customer.

I'm glad you're happy with the results,and you'll certainly notice the torque.

I've always been happy with the work AMD have done for me,and both Shaun and Ben(and the rest of the guys) have always been very helpful to me.

They've certainly saved me a good bit of money over the years,when their advice on what not to do has been very useful.

It's good to see people putting work into the TFSi,when at least one major company appears to have stopped.

I'm glad you're happy with the results,and you'll certainly notice the torque.

I've always been happy with the work AMD have done for me,and both Shaun and Ben(and the rest of the guys) have always been very helpful to me.

They've certainly saved me a good bit of money over the years,when their advice on what not to do has been very useful.

It's good to see people putting work into the TFSi,when at least one major company appears to have stopped.
That's true! Its great knowing your car is in good hands