Something for the weekend!

S32B

Reaction score
Someone on here with an S3 was talking about waiting for this to come out a while back....very nice indeed :)

Reactions: Audi Bairn and pburv
Someone on here with an S3 was talking about waiting for this to come out a while back....very nice indeed :)

That would be Grant I reckon....@GSB

Reactions: Gordo77
I very nearly pulled the trigger on a mk4 soft top MX-5 earlier in the year, but I just can't take to the RF version. It's a bit pricey as well...

Reactions: pburv
.........was expecting something more exciting when I read the title!! lol

Not a bad looking car to be fair but every single previous version I've seen on the road has been driven by someone looking remarkably similar to this.............

bcc54b5fad9252852bf2ddb521f39405.jpg

.................jeez, hope that's not Grant!! lol

Reactions: Daveotto, Jassyo06 and pburv
That would be Grant I reckon....@GSB
Yup, that was me. Still want one too..

Amazing car, only just over a tonne in weight, and with handling and a desire to change direction that makes my S3 feel like a truck. With a BBR pack on it you're looking at just under 200bhp/tonne. If that doesn't mean anything to you it's only a gnats naughty bits away from the S3's 208bhp/tonne. That makes it a very very serious little sports car. Don't be fooled by the age of the owners either, they know something you don't, because with age comes wisdom. There is no other car available from a mainstream manufacturer that'll teach how to drive properly quite so well as one of these.

Reactions: Scottyg, Jcbmally, Audi Bairn and 4 others

Amazing car, only just over a tonne in weight, and with handling and a desire to change direction that makes my S3 feel like a truck. With a BBR pack on it you're looking at just under 200bhp/tonne. If that doesn't mean anything to you it's only a gnats naughty bits away from the S3's 208bhp/tonne. That makes it a very very serious little sports car. Don't be fooled by the age of the owners either, they know something you don't, because with age comes wisdom. There is no other car available from a mainstream manufacturer that'll teach how to drive properly quite so well as one of these.
I know what you mean ...This old guy was teaching me a few tricks on his ride.....:whistle2:
Upload 2016 10 30 18 31 27
...lol
I actually like the MX5's plenty of them about even the first gen. so they are well engineered:yes:

Reactions: Daveotto, Simon L and Jassyo06

And you go and get a S3 manual.....Bi Polar choice mate lol...not my bag l dont fit in one for a start...my son had a MX-5 convertible......l was like the Hulk..in it...reminded me of the original....MINI...with that feeling yer **** was shavin the tarmac...lol

Reactions: Jcbmally, Daveotto, Simon L and 1 other person
every single previous version I've seen on the road has been driven by someone looking remarkably similar to this.............

bcc54b5fad9252852bf2ddb521f39405.jpg
So what spec did you go for then Simon? :p

Reactions: Gordo77, Jassyo06, Simon L and 1 other person
I very nearly pulled the trigger on a mk4 soft top MX-5 earlier in the year, but I just can't take to the RF version. It's a bit pricey as well...

Now that does'nt surprise me ......lol

Reactions: pburv and Simon L
Needed a more practical car Jass, or else I'd have had one of these ordered long ago. The S3 scratches many other itches though.

Reactions: Simon L, pburv and Jassyo06
Needed a more practical car Jass, or else I'd have had one of these ordered long ago. The S3 scratches many other itches though.

Yeah mate, yer time for being less car sensible will return at around the 50 years old mark...lol

Reactions: Simon L and pburv

So what's the bhp/tonne on the lighter soft top model? Probably when I see an RF on the road, I will start to come round to the concept and styling :)

So what's the bhp/tonne on the lighter soft top model? Probably when I see an RF on the road, I will start to come round to the concept and styling :)

The soft top model is 50kg lighter... the old model was the same, even with all the electric roof paraphernalia it was only a handful of kg heavier than the soft top version. With the BBR kit it'd be about even with the S3 in terms of BHP/tonne. You'd have to be a hell of a helmsmith to actually beat an S3 on the road though. Numbers are one thing, but a competition between a 4wd drive hot hatch that a ****** could drive fast and that makes 300hp look barely sufficient vs. a tuned up lightweight rear drive roadster is only going to have one winner. The guy coming in last will be wearing the bigger grin though.

Mazda's engineers appear to have made a deal with the devil when it comes to wieghts, with all the interior, soundproofing and extraneous junk stripped out of it in preparation for racing, a drivable MX5 will tip the scales at a tad over 900kg. When I'm parked on a hill the drivers door on my S3 feels like it wieghs 900kg..

Reactions: pburv, Simon L, Audi Bairn and 1 other person
The soft top model is 50kg lighter... the old model was the same, even with all the electric roof paraphernalia it was only a handful of kg heavier than the soft top version. With the BBR kit it'd be about even with the S3 in terms of BHP/tonne. You'd have to be a hell of a helmsmith to actually beat an S3 on the road though. Numbers are one thing, but a competition between a 4wd drive hot hatch that a ****** could drive fast and that makes 300hp look barely sufficient vs. a tuned up lightweight rear drive roadster is only going to have one winner. The guy coming in last will be wearing the bigger grin though.

Mazda's engineers appear to have made a deal with the devil when it comes to wieghts, with all the interior, soundproofing and extraneous junk stripped out of it in preparation for racing, a drivable MX5 will tip the scales at a tad over 900kg. When I'm parked on a hill the drivers door on my S3 feels like it wieghs 900kg..

I think that was the whole ethos behind the mk4... get rid of every unnecessary gram of weight. I think you need to have a bit of a quirky sense of humour to own an MX-5, and also no need for practicalities. I agree with you, complete hoot to drive tho. :)

Yeah mate, yer time for being less car sensible will return at around the 50 years old mark...lol

Will be around 56 for me as still got 3 more years of back and forth to uni for my son.....that said I could have the mid life crisis now and hire a dodgy transit van for the few uni trips a year.....hmm...now where in my nearest Porsche dealer

Reactions: Scottyg, Jcbmally, pburv and 2 others
Now enough is enough!!! You are beating up on OAP's like myself. I could show you young pups a few things about driving skills, as long a I have my glasses on, blue suede racing shoes, consumed 5 cups of coffee and it is after 11:00 am and I am a passenger in Rob2k68's S3.
The windows will also be open, as I am very good at shouting and gesticulating at youngsters (under 50)

Reactions: Jcbmally, Simon L, Daveotto and 3 others
So what spec did you go for then Simon? :p

Soft top for sure mate, gotta feel the wind in me hair.................lol

So what sorta hair products are Mazda throwing in with this rather effeminate looking ride then...................?? :whistle2:

d5b61805073679a343f28bdb4369798c.jpg

Reactions: S32B, Jassyo06 and pburv
Soft top for sure mate, gotta feel the wind in me hair.................lol

So what sorta hair products are Mazda throwing in with this rather effeminate looking ride then...................?? :whistle2:

d5b61805073679a343f28bdb4369798c.jpg

Ooof, it's talk like that that'll start wars you know, if it weren't for this new manicure I'd scratch your eyes out...

If it's hairdressers cars you're after, look no further than Audi's very own TT. Spend an extra £8500 over a top spec 2.0 MX5 and buy a TT with equivalent toys, and you get a front drive poseurs mobile with all the sporting credibility of a Big Mac and the masculinity of RuPaul.

And whilst Audi adopt the TD1 "thou shalt not tune" approach to customer mods, my local Mazda dealer will fit enough BBR tuning goodies for you to take the fight to the TTS, never mind the asthmatic front drive tart wagon that you could have bought from Audi instead.

Seriously, these things are a ****** bargain. How they aren't shovelling them out the door is beyond me.

Reactions: Scottyg, S32B, pburv and 4 others
Ooof, it's talk like that that'll start wars you know, if it weren't for this new manicure I'd scratch your eyes out...

If it's hairdressers cars you're after, look no further than Audi's very own TT. Spend an extra £8500 over a top spec 2.0 MX5 and buy a TT with equivalent toys, and you get a front drive poseurs mobile with all the sporting credibility of a Big Mac and the masculinity of RuPaul.

And whilst Audi adopt the TD1 "thou shalt not tune" approach to customer mods, my local Mazda dealer will fit enough BBR tuning goodies for you to take the fight to the TTS, never mind the asthmatic front drive tart wagon that you could have bought from Audi instead.

Seriously, these things are a ****** bargain. How they aren't shovelling them out the door is beyond me.

Start a war?? moi??

It's a sprited sales pitch Grant but I'll not be investing on this occasion. One for the ladies and OAP's me thinks.

As for the TT, I still struggle to get the hairdresser tag from out me head although in fairness this applies much more to earlier versions. The TT does have the significant advantage of being drop dead gorgeous though proving that more often than not quality is worth paying the extra £'s for.

Reactions: pburv, Jassyo06 and GSB
Start a war?? moi??

It's a sprited sales pitch Grant but I'll not be investing on this occasion. One for the ladies and OAP's me thinks.

As for the TT, I still struggle to get the hairdresser tag from out me head although in fairness this applies much more to earlier versions. The TT does have the significant advantage of being drop dead gorgeous though proving that more often than not quality is worth paying the extra £'s for.

The TT is style over substance. The air vents with integrated digital displays were one of the selling points when it was launched. An option, of course, only single zone, and in bright conditions you get so much reflection from the large rear window, they're not particularly easy to read.

@GSB clearly has his head screwed on the right way... the MX5 is indeed an absolute bargain: rear wheel drive, limited slip diff, 50:50 weight and one of the best manual gearboxes in the business.

Thinking again the mk3 TT was probably the best car I've ever been "mis-sold" by Audi, which is why I ended up in the S3 and with such a large discount as well ;) :D

Reactions: pburv, GSB and Simon L
The TT is style over substance. The air vents with integrated digital displays were one of the selling points when it was launched. An option, of course, only single zone, and in bright conditions you get so much reflection from the large rear window, they're not particularly easy to read.

@GSB clearly has his head screwed on the right way... the MX5 is indeed an absolute bargain: rear wheel drive, limited slip diff, 50:50 weight and one of the best manual gearboxes in the business.

Thinking again the mk3 TT was probably the best car I've ever been "mis-sold" by Audi, which is why I ended up in the S3 and with such a large discount as well ;) :D

I can't fathom out yer logic @Gordo77 l drove this car around quite a few times and it was a hoot to drive derv as well, better than my BC by far

IMG 2202

Reactions: pburv and Simon L

To be fair mate you could use the style over substance argument for the entire Audi range, they are after all much of a muchness. As Jassy says though the TT is widely regarded as being a better drive than most.

If bang for buck is high on your priority list you could have done far better than an S3 surely? As for @GSB having his head screwed on I couldn't possibly comment lol..................but he is only expressing an opinion same as the rest of us :)

Reactions: pburv and Jassyo06
You really think a heavy diesel engined front wheel drive is better than your inflatable castle...?

Yip....it was and in normal driving it was as fast as my S3, felt faster actually remember my BC is no different from any other S3 hatchback

Reactions: Simon L and pburv
As for @GSB having his head screwed on I couldn't possibly comment lol..................but he is only expressing an opinion same as the rest of us :)

Doubtful the head is screwed on as much as it should be... I blame life as an adventurous youth and an early introduction to Stella Artois.

You really think a heavy diesel engined front wheel drive is better than your inflatable castle...?

Oddly, a lot of journos agreed. The rear axle not being driven saves a lot of wieght, and against all odds made the ride better, the agility a little more snappy and the performance a little less dulled. The S&Tonic masks many of the Diseasel's shortcomings though. I drove an S&Tonic equpped diesel scirocco when they first came out, and the snappy gearshiftt completely negated the 100bhp advantage my own car had over it. With a manual box I'm sure it's as frustrating to live with as any other Diesel engined shopping box, no matter how good looking.

Reactions: pburv, Simon L and Jassyo06
Doubtful the head is screwed on as much as it should be... I blame life as an adventurous youth and an early introduction to Stella Artois.

Oddly, a lot of journos agreed. The rear axle not being driven saves a lot of wieght, and against all odds made the ride better, the agility a little more snappy and the performance a little less dulled. The S&Tonic masks many of the Diseasel's shortcomings though. I drove an S&Tonic equpped diesel scirocco when they first came out, and the snappy gearshiftt completely negated the 100bhp advantage my own car had over it. With a manual box I'm sure it's as frustrating to live with as any other Diesel engined shopping box, no matter how good looking.

At the moment you can only get the TDI in manual and without quattro. On wet roads trying to pull away quickly, its easy (very easy) to get it to break traction. The TDI engine actually has the same max torque figure as the S3 with manual box.

Interesting comments; my humble opinion is the Mazda is the winner as a drivers car and the TT is a good looking poser. Diesel over petrol engines? I love the torque that diesel engines develop especially when mated with auto transmissions for most driving conditions, but would still choose a petrol for its lower initial cost and no smelly hands. Manual gearboxes over automatic? No question here. I was a die-hard manual believer, until I drove a DSG (s-tronic) equipped car and have not looked back since. A lot of other auto transmissions are just plain rubbish...Mazda's CVT is an example of this.

Reactions: Scottyg, Jcbmally, Gordo77 and 2 others
At the moment you can only get the TDI in manual and without quattro.
It's strange how they set the cars up, if you want a petrol s-line quattro you have to have the s-tronic, yet you can get a TTS quattro with a manual transmission!!!

Reactions: Simon L, Jassyo06, pburv and 1 other person
a TTS quattro with a manual transmission!!!

I very much enjoyed the one I had for the weekend

if it weren't for this new manicure I'd scratch your eyes out...

My wife's just come back from a £40+ pre holiday manicure, that's the last time I take an ear bashing for spending an equivalent amount on a couple of car cleaning products that will last considerably longer then the 2 days before I hear the screech of " I chipped my nail,".... If only Chipex done nail varnish

Reactions: Jassyo06, pburv and Simon L
The more I see this car the more I think it looks great!

Video showing it in various colours:

The more I see this car the more I think it looks great!

Video showing it in various colours:

Oh, I like that...

Just looking at BBR's Facebook page; looks like they've been a bit busy of late. Not only do they offer up to 215ish hp naturally aspirated, but they've come up with a very 'factory' looking turbo installation too. So far 260hp is possible, with more to come. That's over 240bhp/tonne, or about 20% better than an S3, although in top spec you're looking at S3 money.