Snapped key

Marc18

Reaction score
Snapped my key tonight.
Just the blade, the holder and the fob are both fine.

What am I looking at too replace?
Do I need to go to Audi or any locksmith do?

I've had a key replaced for an old Clio by a locksmith before. I just had the one master so got a spare done. He cut the key and I got Renault to code it for me. That cost more than the key did. Would have cost me a fortune getting both as a single replacement from Renault, they wanted over £280 for it.

My Clio key obviously didn't have the same flick-out metallic key that Audi's have so unsure whether a locksmith would have one laying around..

I've had a key replaced for an old Clio by a locksmith before. I just had the one master so got a spare done. He cut the key and I got Renault to code it for me. That cost more than the key did. Would have cost me a fortune getting both as a single replacement from Renault, they wanted over £280 for it.

My Clio key obviously didn't have the same flick-out metallic key that Audi's have so unsure whether a locksmith would have one laying around..

The blade detaches from the fob itself with a small split pin so it's just the cutting that needs doing

Reactions: Wondering Soul
Lol!!!!

+1 for Convenience key :)

The blade detaches from the fob itself with a small split pin so it's just the cutting that needs doing
In that case I can't see why a locksmith can't get that done for you! As I said, my Clio keys were done by a locksmith, I stuck the key back in the fob and got Renault to code it.

I got 2 years key insurance when I bought our used-approved car, covering loss, theft or damage - is that not a standard Audi inclusion?

Don't recall getting key cover. I'll check the documents though.

It's tried starting the car with the blade and a set of pliers (how I got the blade out in the first place), while the fob was still in the car. Safe mode kicks in and he car dies.

I've lost my spare for now so that's not an option (I'll dig this out when I can, just trying in case I don't find it)

I'm assuming it's because the chip in the fob isn't near the ignition when it's turned?

I'm assuming it's because the chip in the fob isn't near the ignition when it's turned?
That's right yeah.

Inside the fob, there is a little sprung piece of wire wound in an open cylinder shape that points toward the key when held normally. This, when inserted into the ignition and turned to the 'run' position directs a signal that was sent by an induction coil in the ignition system which gives the chip in the keys enough power to emit a signal code. This is checked and the engine then started or not based on the code received. Complex little systems really!

Reactions: S32B
That's right yeah.

Inside the fob, there is a little sprung piece of wire wound in an open cylinder shape that points toward the key when held normally. This, when inserted into the ignition and turned to the 'run' position directs a signal that was sent by an induction coil in the ignition system which gives the chip in the keys enough power to emit a signal code. This is checked and the engine then started or not based on the code received. Complex little systems really!

Thanks mate, excellent little explanation that.

I'll sort out a mobile cutter to come out tomorrow and cut a new blade.

Just checked through my paperwork and the key insurance does appear to be part of the Audi Approved Used Car scheme, so new vehicles may not get the same

Check your car insurance as well, sometimes they throw it in as free cover! I'm sure esure call it 'Just in case' and the key cover is part of that.

I'm with Aviva and this is theirs:

Summary Of Cover   Car Insurance   Aviva