Single or double din?

amr79

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a new diesel Black Edition due to be delivered next month, it will be fitted with a Concert radio and Bose. I want to change the radio for the mk2 RNS-E. Will my car have a single or double din? I understand the job involves more work if it's a single din.

get urself 4 of these

PC5-93 European Release Removal Stereo Keys Radio CD (5032296005938) | eBay

Then it really is a very simple swap. The keys only go in one way and u'd need two ppl to comfortably remove it, u need to squeeze all four at the same time to release the stereo. If the stereo isn't coded, and is in perfect condition you should be able to sell it on at a decent price.

not ...*QUITE*... a straight swap.

You'll need to move the 'BLOSE' pin, and there's also the matter of updating the ampliffiers in the hatch to avoid the 'ZF short-to-ground' antenna fault, but in terms of FITMENT, then yes, it's a fairly straightforward changeover.

Thanks for your replies guys. I will by a unit and get that OEM Retrofit company in Bradford to install it. They only charge £70 for the service. Can't sell the concert as it's a company car and have to put it back to standard spec when I return it after 5yrs or 100k miles.

Found the thread I was after

I'm wanting to do the same thing and I have the concert radio - my 1st question answered already

Secondly I have Ipod connection in the glove compartment, this would affect the sat nav would it?

thirdly would this fit my car Audi A3 S3 Media MK2 RNS-E PU sat nav LED RNS - E 2011 | eBay

Its a 61 plate so I'm guessing that's a 8P chassis?

would it need vag-com on to it as well if it kicks up any faults and would it need coding?

You really should get the RNS-E units coded using VCDS otherwise you will have errors on your car computer and yes, you need to change the BOSE pins and you will probably have AUX in as well that will need connecting properly too.

You also need to consider upgrading your antenna's that are located in your boot lid as well if you want it done properly.

Regarding the iPod connection in the glove box. Yes, this can still work but it still won't display track names on your head unit. I would recommend upgrading it to AMI which enables track names, budget permitting of course.

how much should i roughly spend on doing it without spending a fortune i was thinking around £500ish and where abouts are they located in the boot lid then? im not worried about display names if i dont like the track i just skip it haha

I would assume that i would be able to find most of it on the bay

these the antennas your reffering too Audi A3 A4 A6 TT Allroad RNS-E radio antenna aerial adapter double fakra ISO | eBay

You probably need to spend about £1000 if you want it done properly but if you have that budget then I wouldn't worry about the antenna's at the moment although you might find in certain areas your radio not working very well. I'm only going on what NHN said when he fitted my RNS-E unit for me a couple of weeks ago. Personally I wouldn't buy those units off ebay unless they look like genuine sellers as you don't know the history of the units - it could be stolen, who knows. NHN can sell you the unit I think.

ah yes thats a good point, DEFINATLY dont want to be going down the buying stolen items route and ok, i need to save up the pennies 1st but i think for me it would be a good mod as i use a sat nav regularly

Send NHN a PM, he's the man when it comes to this stuff, I can assure you.

Did you use the OEM Retrofit company in Bradford? Are they genuine good guys or not.
thanks