Sidelight bulbs

Aldo

Reaction score
My sidelight bulb has gone, I take it they are not the wedge type bulb and a more normal bayonet type bulb, I couldn'e see them in Halfords and and halfrauds booklet was saying they are a wedge/fuse bulb?

I hope so or mine wont fit.Guess i will find out tomorrow when they arrive.

Aldo said:
Be interesting to see or not if yours is the wedge type or not?
My new bulbs haven't arrived yet but i needed to know what bulbs i had and it is the wedge ones...
DSC00038.jpg

I got my LED's but they dont work.I put them in but they flash and if i turn them round nothing,the DIS dont recognise they are working at all.Put them in the missus's car and they work perfect,look ****** good too,gutted.

Mine flash too, I'm gutted-I am just going to buy a normal Halogen as I not got time to faff about with anything, they had built in resistors soI don't get why they are flashing, they are bright though! :cool:

My car takes H6W sidelight bulbs, they are bayonet with offset pins, mine also flash when fitted, bit of a bummer.

Will try getting a 1w resistor and fitting it across the terminals to simulate the load of a conventional bulb.

A4Quattro said:
My car takes H6W sidelight bulbs, they are bayonet with offset pins, mine also flash when fitted, bit of a bummer.

Will try getting a 1w resistor and fitting it across the terminals to simulate the load of a conventional bulb.

Let us know how you get on.

yup,
I'm gonna do my timing belt soon too, will take picyures and do a write up. I have a "special" way of changing timing belts....

I have the Bayonet sidelights too!
The annoying thing was when I fitted the LED sidelight, the bulb that I thought had "Blown" had simply worked it's way out from the holder, and was still working, but I took the other bulb out and dropped it the fecker!

Oh and when I ordered the led bulb, I only ordered one and got charged ****** £3.50 postage yet it cost 41p to send, so this whole scenario has got on my wick!

LOL :mad:

I will reveal all when I actually do it, because if its done wrong it can open up a family sized can of agg...

Got me bulb sorted from the dealer today, was nice of them not to charge me @ all for the bulb, will keep an eye on here though in case it is worked out how to stop the led's from flashing!

Well I put the flashing LED in my Map reading light bulb which now works perfectly! :cool:

Aldo said:
Well I put the flashing LED in my Map reading light bulb which now works perfectly! :cool:

i got a set of led sidelight bulbs and when fitted they judt flashed too. Apparently you need to fit a resistor across the bulb.

had them in my previous car (seat leon tdi 130bhp) and they looked the dogs ********!!

They flashed in a C Class Merc as well, think it's to do with the computer to say wether the bulb is blown or not!

All you need is a 36 ohm resistor, i'll get one when I get time.

Resistors cause a load by turning the power into heat. If you use a normal resistor you run a risk of buring things (wireing etc). If you do it then I believe ceramics are the way to go.

I tried the normal LEDs back 14 months ago and got the same result as you.

I was told a solution was going to be produced but so far not in H6W size and I've not had time to look into resistors etc.

if your not going LED... the ones to get for the Philips bulb vison bulb type 501 - these give a real white crisp light next to standard H7's... however if you have HID (i have a set of aftermarket HID KIT) there now appear "yellow"ish comapres to the HID.

However i would recommend these!

RickT

scoTTy said:
Resistors cause a load by turning the power into heat. If you use a normal resistor you run a risk of buring things (wireing etc). If you do it then I believe ceramics are the way to go.

I tried the normal LEDs back 14 months ago and got the same result as you.

I was told a solution was going to be produced but so far not in H6W size and I've not had time to look into resistors etc.

Thats right, but you don't need the full 5w load to stop the flashing, 1w is sufficient, this will not generate much heat, certainly not enough to melt wiring. How hot do you think the bulb envelope gets exactly? its about 200 degrees plus, as long as the resistor is mounted in free air space it will be fine.