Show me your calipers!

AudiSport

Reaction score
I'm looking at painting my Calipers Red, although I'm worried it is starting to look a little cheap?

Any other colours guys.. I'm thinking graphite grey or even gloss black?
Show me your pics...

I don't have any pics to share yet as I haven't done mine! But I am going to do it when I fit my refurbed RS6 wheels in a few weeks time, and am just beginning to think about what colour to go for!

What colour is your car? Mine is dolphin grey.

I agree that red may look ok if you have huge Brembo's, but otherwise ...... Gloss black and grey are both colours I have considered, but I am worried grey may look body coloured for me at least. Yellow is another colour I have considered, but I think the same may apply as for the red Brembo's above ..?

I think unless you have lovely big calipers using a subtle colour will serve to just tidy up and smarten the car without bringing attention to it the way a bright colour maybe would. I am open to suggestions though ..!

My car is silver, do red will look good - it's just, I guess I'm getting a bit old for all that. I think I'm going to go gloss black or met-grey much like your (dolphin grey) car!

Not sure on yellow :ohmy:...

I've got to say no to the coloured calipers! Unless you actually own a big brake setup where they are already done. Paint them grey/black as been suggested, cant go wrong!!

Yes, I'm thinking black. But then, what is the point in painting them at all as by the time they have some dust on them they will not look any different?

Go grey or black. Red or Yellow is far to Chav...................

Yes, I'm thinking black. But then, what is the point in painting them at all as by the time they have some dust on them they will not look any different?

Fair point, but I wonder about lacquering them and then sealing them with poorboys or similar? Then a good blast with the hose each week and a proper clean once a year will keep them looking ok I reckon. And it's just about tidying the car up rather than anything else.

Did mine red, car is an S4 cab - ebony black, lots of people seem to like them but I guess they could be seen as chavy!

2008_0830Car0032.jpg

Nope sorry, as a previous B6 S4 avant owner, worst thing to do would be painting red, its IMHO not very stylish & hate to say this word I really hate but "chavvy", just ruins a car, oh here's my nice car, so what does everyone see 1st, the brake calipers, urmmm, so they dont look at the car itself, urrggghhh

black is best option if doing at all, definitely not red, but thats only my personal opinion

I painted mine black. I think they look classier. I also have green ebc brake pads which make the disc look ever so slightly green.

I think if you have a bigger caliper than standard then yeah go for it. They look Good.
Standard calipers though id say Black or Graphite rather than red.

...but Each to their own so if you wanna go for it then do it AudiSport, end of the day if you like them then sod everyone else!

There's nothing wrong with red calipers on a silver car. They're standard on the TT sport, Golf GTi and more.

As with any mod it's all in the detail. Simply pouring some red Hammerite over rusty calipers won't get any style points. It's all in the preparation. Wheels off, calipers off pads out - It's not an hour job. I used Foliatec 2 pack paint and it's very high quality, on for well over a year now and still looks like new.

I agree with J7USS, bigger is better for red. If you're still on standard calipers silver or black would be the better option IMO.

I nearly went for silver on my car but thought if was going to all that trouble I'd like people to notice. The pic's don't really do them justice TBH.............

S4_Fr.sized.jpg

KW_Rr.sized.jpg

Romney_024z.sized.jpg

Romney_022z.sized.jpg

KW_3.sized.jpg

BUB :moa:

thanks for the images, your car looks stunning!
where did you get the four ring logo for the calipers from? I guess we're not talking a sticker due to the heat they produce!

Still not convinced, but then again I dont have to be convinced, red calipers are just not the thing anymore or for me ever were, doesnt mean others dont like, but I'd definitely give it a miss

Yeah Bub, they look nice and neat. Like you say, providing you put the effort into them then if they look like that then its well worth it.

I think it does depend on the colour of the car but id say the red with the silver look well together so far, be interesting to see if anyone else has done same but on a different colour car!

I dont think its chavvy at all. Adds abit of class IMO...

thats more like it & sorry but red doesnt add any class at all.

Black looks ok but prefer the red defo!

Glad we're not all the same, god it would be sooooooo boring...:huh:

Those S4 look as good as mine after I did mine in black!!

thanks for the images, your car looks stunning!
where did you get the four ring logo for the calipers from? I guess we're not talking a sticker due to the heat they produce!

I expect they are stickers, they are available from ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-Quattro-Rings-fits-Brake-Caliper-Sticker-Decal-x5_W0QQitemZ200251207356QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item200251207356&_trkparms=72%3A1301|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Do a search on Audi caliper Stickers, theres lots available.

I am pretty set on gloss black now when i do mine as it will have standard sized calipers.

I'm going to check those stickers out now, they look great..
I'm 99% sure I'm going to go for gloss black too - I'll make sure I take some before and after photos.. I guess the only thing that bugs me is my car is silver and I just think red does look good with this colour...

Be strong...

Eeem - is there any room to put those stickers on my small 1.8T calipers.. Maybe the front have space but I'm not sure about the rear?

I am pretty set on gloss black now when i do mine as it will have standard sized calipers.
Hey buddy - i have some spare gloss black you can try one caliper with if you like? Your local to me so you could pop over and borrow my tube of paint?

Just a thought..... :salute:

Would engine enamel be ok on calipers?
Got loads left of the pot I bought to do my manta engine.

I did mine with 2 coats of Hammerite Smooth and its holding up extremely well. Just clean the calipers with a degreaser first and make sure they are thoroughly dry.

Hammerite goes on well with a brush and flats out nicely when curing

Eeem - is there any room to put those stickers on my small 1.8T calipers.. Maybe the front have space but I'm not sure about the rear?

TBH I wouldn't bother on a standard 1.8t caliper. My S4 ones have the later style flat faced springs too, so perfect for a logo.

As for red calipers, I'm glad I did mine in red. It's probably the 'loudest' mod' I've done but still looks very OEM+, which is just how all my cars have been.

BUB

PS If red is good enough for Stuttgart's finest calipers, it's good enough for me :kissmyrings:

Hey buddy - i have some spare gloss black you can try one caliper with if you like? Your local to me so you could pop over and borrow my tube of paint?

Just a thought..... :salute:

Thanks Matey, I will PM you.

I've never seen the need to draw attention to brake calipers, unless as Bub and J7USS has said, they are bigger than standard. I still prefer the subtle look of black calipers. I've seen so much red on chav wagons.