Short term review of my A4 1.4TFSI

kmanmx

Reaction score
Okay so I know there are a lot of people out there like me who want to read as many reviews and hands on experiences with the car before they put their money down, so figured I owe it back having got my car now. I'll try to stick to bullet points to make it a bit more digestible. So having had the car for 3 days and done 150 miles, here are some quick thoughts. For clarity, my car spec is in the signature.

• First of all, and most importantly, overall I think it is a great car and i'm very happy with it!
  • "lag delay hesitation". It is there, but it's not so bad I find it dangerous or off putting. In my opinion if you are finding the 1 second of delay dangerous, then you should not be pulling out anyway as clearly the gap is pretty small. I find it much less of a problem if you manually take off the electronic park, and have disabled stop start. I've not had a situation yet where it's gave me an actual issue. Just plan accordingly, take off the electronic brake before hand, and it's fine. In my opinion anyway.
  • Slightly separate to the above issue, I am finding it takes a bit of practice to pull away smoothly. For some reason the car seems to go from 0 > 5mph very suddenly, almost a bit of a lurch. My old car did not do this, despite being more powerful. But i've found I can stop it doing it if I am extra smooth with the accelerator pedal, so it is just something to get used to. I pretty consistently avoid doing this now after just 150 miles, so no biggie.
  • The 1.4 engine is great for normal driving, what a pleasant surprise. No it does not give you much acceleration past 50mph or so, but it will still get up to 70mph at a steady and adequate pace. At and around town speeds, it feels nice and nippy.
  • It's so quiet ! this has to be one of my favourite things about the car. I've never had any kind of luxury saloon/sedan car before, and came from a 64 plate SEAT Leon Cupra. This car is whisper quiet in comparison. I almost feel like I could fall asleep, which is a tad worrying!...
  • The 7 speed S Tronic gear box once on the move is a real joy. Very very smooth, much more so than the 6 speed wet dual clutch in my Leon.
  • The handling is perfectly fine. It stays nice and flat, well composed, very stable. It's not as sharp and fun as my prior hot hatch, but then it's not supposed to be. I am sure the S4 is better in this regard.
  • The brakes seem good. I am used to more initial bite and I think I would prefer it if that were the case, but I have no doubt they would stop me quickly if I really lent on them (have yet to try yet).
  • For me, the digital dash and 8.3" screens are a must have. I think they are absolutely excellent. As is Apple CarPlay. Just being able to use Siri voice control to select what music I want is such great ease of use I don't think I could ever buy a car again without it. Having the sat nav on your dash right in front of your eyes is great. The screens are sharp, colourful and bright. They are not as amazing as the latest OLED smartphones, but they are still very good and amongst the best I have personally seen in a car (though I should stress I have never sat in a new S Class or anything of that ilk).
  • The B&O Sound System. I think it is great overall. For £750, it's about as good as I would expect. For reference, I own a more expensive Hi-Fi unit at home, have owned multiple powered studio monitors (what they use in music recording studios), have had about 10 pairs of expensive headphones. So I am used to good sound and can appreciate it. I think the B&O unit has a good, pleasing sound. I have heard some people say it's no better than the 10 speaker audi sound system, but I would strongly disagree with this. I have used that system for years, and the B&O is better in every way, and significantly so. It goes loud, it does not distort until relatively high SPL's, it has quite good detail and the bass is well controlled. What I will say is that badly recorded music does indeed sound bad, these are not forgiving speakers. Some speakers let you play 128Kbps MP3s and they sound okay. These are not like that, if you feed them trash they will let you know. They want well recorded, high quality rips of your music. Do so and you will be rewarded ! Don't use Bluetooth, use your phone through USB or use an SD Card. Listen to some Eric Clapton or Steely Dan and you should be impressed.
  • I've not done a commute to work yet through town traffic, but on the journeys i've done so far (mainly back roads, small towns and villages - no motorway or city stuff), i've got from 31mpg on one journey to 42mpg on another, and everything in between. Seems okay. Lets see what happens when I do a rush hour commute..

Some minor negative points:

• I don't think the steering wheel controls feel as high quality as the rest of car they feel a bit overly loud and clicky, plasticy.
  • There is not as much room for my size 11 left foot in the foot well as I am used to on my old car. The foot rest is also at an angle. It's fine, but I would prefer more.
  • Also I would have liked some soft padding to rest my knee against.
  • The reversing camera while useful is pretty low definition. Functional, but far from HD.
  • The B&O while great is giving me a very slight rattle on the center speaker. You can only hear it (and quietly) on certain songs, mainly strong female vocals. But it's definitely there.
  • No footwell lamps
  • Super mega nitpicky point: The LED reading lights have a green cast in the centre of their beam, and I seriously spent 2 minutes last evening panicking that my trousers had somehow stained the Alcantara green as I got out of the car and the lights came on!
  • Limited storage if you don't opt for the storage pack. Not even a compartment behind the front seats!

Overall then a really great car with just some really minor nitpicky points. And to be honest, this is not exactly Audi's top end car. They have to cut costs somewhere I guess, which is why the A6, A7 and A8 exist.

Reactions: Booboo, AlnSaz, Syed Shah and 3 others
Great review, which is more or less in line with my experience although I find the brakes overservoed rather than not grabby enough.

I am up to 39.2mpg OBC average since new, mainly on my 25 mile commute, but my car is a manual.

I totally agree with your comment on how quiet it is. It makes it feel very expensive and like a really nicely crafted product, however mass produced it actually is.

Great review, which is more or less in line with my experience although I find the brakes overservoed rather than not grabby enough.

I am up to 39.2mpg OBC average since new, mainly on my 25 mile commute, but my car is a manual.

I totally agree with your comment on how quiet it is. It makes it feel very expensive and like a really nicely crafted product, however mass produced it actually is.

With the brakes I guess it is just preference and what you are used to. To me, they require as much force to stop the car as my Leon does now using 3 year old pads and discs, which I was getting close to replacing - but ofcourse I have the A4 now so never did bother to replace them. Though, I drove my mums Mini Cooper recently, I think I nearly snapped my tibia in half pressing the brake pedal so hard in that car, that really was bad IMO !

I've not really done any stopping from high speeds yet, i've been driving the car quite gently. So my opinion of them might change in time.

But yes, the quietness is definitely a great feature. The most annoying now is when you come across a poorly surfaced road, unfortunately I don't think any car can keep that kind of rumble pattering noise out from the tyres...

For retardation, the brakes, like on most road cars, will be limited by front tyre friction anyway unless we're talking mega Autobahn speed or Alpine descent.

I prefer easier modulation but tbf, it only takes a few miles for the ankle to calibrate !

You're right, the more silent the car, the more you hear the tyres' hollowness...

Reactions: kmanmx
1st post here, hello everyone btw, we had the same build week, shipped on the same vessel, same colour, shape and transmission but I’ve got to wait until Thursday for mine!

Looking forward to getting car but slightly apprehensive about fuel consumption, coming from a 2.0L 320i BMW and hoping to get at least 35 mixed driving out of it.

Similar specs, I went for the tour pack as I really wanted the adaptive cruise control, wife’s Golf has it and I love it.

Brilliant review and agree on most points. My 1.4 has surpassed expectations on most fronts - fuel economy is the main let-down for me.

My average over the first 900 miles is barely pushing ahead of 30 (which, coming from a small modern diesel is a bit of a shock). But in the interests of balance, I did manage 54 over an 8-mile trip coming back from Ikea and really doing my best to hypermile. I suspect its just a case of getting used to driving petrol. On Friday, 9 miles through city centre Edinburgh at rush hour resulted in an 18.2 on the trip computer!!

The brakes are also odd - very little in the way of feedback through the pedal so I've found myself not breaking enough and even creeping forward when I don't have HHA on. For the first couple of days, I thought the car was bad at stopping but having recently performed a full emergency stop from around 45mph, I can assure you the car can stop! I guess its just a case of getting used to it...

There's nowhere to rest your right foot when on cruise - probably not a bad thing - but the last car had a protrusion just in the right place.

Storage is limited - the bin in the centre console is very shallow so I really just use it for my phone. I've made a little extra space in the boot by shifting the spare wheel back a little - was able to store a blanket and some winter essentials in the extra few inches of space. Likewise, the fuse box panel on the left of the boot has loads of space - keep my IKEA bags nice and tidy in there.

I have an Audi boot floor divider too - £6 from eBay - amazing bit of kit to stop things sliding around the boot.

I have the Audi Sound System (the middle option) and find it superb - I'm not much of an audio guy - but even if I was, I think I'd be content with this system.

Reversing camera (and 360 cameras) have taken a bit of getting used to - at first I thought it was rubbish but its just the distortion/perspective that is odd - but that perspective makes a bit more sense in 360 mode.

Other things are annoying. Hill hold doesn't stop you from rolling back. You can't leave high beams on auto. Window wipers take a while to come on when you leave them in auto. I still struggle with the auto shifter (I miss the weird Mercedes column mounted shifter thing). I struggle with the start/stop button. Can't find a good way of getting speed camera alerts on the Sat Nav. And so on.

On the whole, the car is amazing and massively exceeds expectations. I just need to get used to a few things and remeber that 'different does not equal bad'...

IMG 1683

Brilliant review and agree on most points. My 1.4 has surpassed expectations on most fronts - fuel economy is the main let-down for me.

My average over the first 900 miles is barely pushing ahead of 30 (which, coming from a small modern diesel is a bit of a shock). But in the interests of balance, I did manage 54 over an 8-mile trip coming back from Ikea and really doing my best to hypermile. I suspect its just a case of getting used to driving petrol. On Friday, 9 miles through city centre Edinburgh at rush hour resulted in an 18.2 on the trip computer!!

The brakes are also odd - very little in the way of feedback through the pedal so I've found myself not breaking enough and even creeping forward when I don't have HHA on. For the first couple of days, I thought the car was bad at stopping but having recently performed a full emergency stop from around 45mph, I can assure you the car can stop! I guess its just a case of getting used to it...

There's nowhere to rest your right foot when on cruise - probably not a bad thing - but the last car had a protrusion just in the right place.

Storage is limited - the bin in the centre console is very shallow so I really just use it for my phone. I've made a little extra space in the boot by shifting the spare wheel back a little - was able to store a blanket and some winter essentials in the extra few inches of space. Likewise, the fuse box panel on the left of the boot has loads of space - keep my IKEA bags nice and tidy in there.

I have an Audi boot floor divider too - £6 from eBay - amazing bit of kit to stop things sliding around the boot.

I have the Audi Sound System (the middle option) and find it superb - I'm not much of an audio guy - but even if I was, I think I'd be content with this system.

Reversing camera (and 360 cameras) have taken a bit of getting used to - at first I thought it was rubbish but its just the distortion/perspective that is odd - but that perspective makes a bit more sense in 360 mode.

Other things are annoying. Hill hold doesn't stop you from rolling back. You can't leave high beams on auto. Window wipers take a while to come on when you leave them in auto. I still struggle with the auto shifter (I miss the weird Mercedes column mounted shifter thing). I struggle with the start/stop button. Can't find a good way of getting speed camera alerts on the Sat Nav. And so on.

On the whole, the car is amazing and massively exceeds expectations. I just need to get used to a few things and remeber that 'different does not equal bad'...

View attachment 153923

54! dang that is impressive.

Cars are so impressive overall these days. Every 3 years a new generation comes out that yet again just redefines standards. The A4 B9 does what a £100k+ would have done from 10 years ago, and in many respects is even better (screen quality, Apple Carplay etc).

1st post here, hello everyone btw, we had the same build week, shipped on the same vessel, same colour, shape and transmission but I’ve got to wait until Thursday for mine!

Looking forward to getting car but slightly apprehensive about fuel consumption, coming from a 2.0L 320i BMW and hoping to get at least 35 mixed driving out of it.

Similar specs, I went for the tour pack as I really wanted the adaptive cruise control, wife’s Golf has it and I love it.

Great, I am sure you will love it! I can totally see the appeal of the adaptive cruise control, just for me personally I don't really do any of the kind of journeys that would benefit from it.

Surprised you don’t have illuminated footwells (if that is what you mean by “no footwell lamps”). I have the 2 litre s-line and mine are illuminated.

Surprised you don’t have illuminated footwells (if that is what you mean by “no footwell lamps”). I have the 2 litre s-line and mine are illuminated.

They might need implimenting with the switch on the overhead console...

Hmm, maybe they are there, but they certainly wern't on when I was driving at night time. All the other instrument and button lights were on. Maybe they are there but only come on when pressing the light button on the overhead console ? that would be a shame, i'd quite like them to be on all the time in the dark.

You can vary the intensity in the MMI. I remember now - mine seemed very dim when I first had the car and then through playing with the MMI I discovered there was a setting for the ambient lighting.

These are my two biggest annoyances. HHA just doesn't do what it says it does.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Do you have a manual ? HHA and Hold Assist are both working as expected for me with S-Tronic.

Reactions: Wemo 1973
Do you have a manual ? HHA and Hold Assist are both working as expected for me with S-Tronic.
Manual. As soon as you come to the biting point on a slope the car starts rolling back.

Hmm, maybe they are there, but they certainly wern't on when I was driving at night time. All the other instrument and button lights were on. Maybe they are there but only come on when pressing the light button on the overhead console ? that would be a shame, i'd quite like them to be on all the time in the dark.
Thats not what I was saying, I was suggesting that the automatic turning on of interior lighting when a door is opened might need implementing through the switch. Also they might need to be turned up within the mmi as wideboybloke has suggested....

Thats not what I was saying, I was suggesting that the automatic turning on of interior lighting when a door is opened might need implementing through the switch. Also they might need to be turned up within the mmi as wideboybloke has suggested....

Okay, I will have to double check tonight then and play with the settings.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/led-interior-light-pack-vs-extended-interior-light-pack.292433/

Just saw the above link, one guy saying he checked his and by default they were set to their lowest brightness setting, so maybe that's it. I thought I had a look and couldn't find any setting for the footwell lights, obviously I did not look hard enough first time.

I downloaded speed camera locations last night, loaded them into myaudi.com, and did an update in the car this morning - all working fine.

As for MPG, I'm averaging 37, primarily a 35-mile motorway & A-road commute each day, plus general day-to-day stuff. But, mine is chipped (DTUK FSR+, about 180bhp). The wife managed 54mpg over 35 miles though before I had it chipped!

Reactions: Jcbmally
Nope. Won't leave a trace, and I'll remove it before each service.

How are you finding the DTUK box itself ? I was pretty sure I was going to pick one up prior to the car arriving, but having had the car for a week now, I think i'm content with it's stock performance.

The main things putting me off are that I had one on a car I had years ago, a 1.6TDI Seat Ibiza. For a start, it was a real pig to install, had to get the bottom engine cover off the car, jack it up, and about break my arm getting to one of the sensors. And then after I did it I struggled to even tell a difference, but I have always wondered if I installed it wrong or I just had a faulty unit, as everyone else seems to think the difference is obvious.

I found it pretty easily when I checked a 2nd time, I never thought to press the options button before..

Footwell lights: As said, check the settings in MMI. I have a Sport and have them, your lighting pack is the next step up. I was certain I didn't have them, until I got courtesy car exactly the same spec as mine that had them! You need to adjust the individual footwell setting in the MMI.

Auto High Beam: This is a very simple mod to turn on with OBD11/VCDS. All cars have the ability as it uses the pre-sense city camera. It took me of 2minutes to turn it on, and it works perfectly! Can't believe Audi have it as a £150 option when everything is already there and it just needs switching on!

Reactions: DaveW
As for MPG, I'm averaging 37, primarily a 35-mile motorway & A-road commute each day, plus general day-to-day stuff. But, mine is chipped (DTUK FSR+, about 180bhp). The wife managed 54mpg over 35 miles though before I had it chipped!

Jesus, you must be giving it some! My S4 gets about 30-35mpg on a similar commute...

How are you finding the DTUK box itself ? I was pretty sure I was going to pick one up prior to the car arriving, but having had the car for a week now, I think i'm content with it's stock performance.

The main things putting me off are that I had one on a car I had years ago, a 1.6TDI Seat Ibiza. For a start, it was a real pig to install, had to get the bottom engine cover off the car, jack it up, and about break my arm getting to one of the sensors. And then after I did it I struggled to even tell a difference, but I have always wondered if I installed it wrong or I just had a faulty unit, as everyone else seems to think the difference is obvious.

Although the position of the sensors is different on the various engines, I don't think that I've heard of anything recently that needed that much involvement to get the box fitted. Mine is three sensors that are all easily accessible and the installation literally takes 10 minutes, if that. The part that takes the most time is actually making sure all the cables are nicely hidden away.

And in terms of warranty, I removed mine when the car when in for a gearbox fault message and there was no mention of it when I collected the car back up despite them scanning it multiple times and trying to dig into what fault codes were there. Also no mention of the Milltek system or the Eibach springs.

It all depends upon the engine. With the 1.4 all the sensors are at the top, with a s3 one is underneath but I don't know about any others. DTUK do provide fitting guides for some vehicles https://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/how-to-fit/ and the engines can be cross referenced from one VAG vehicles to another.

Quick update on fuel economy. On my commute to work, I drive 11 miles through Leicester (up the ring road north) in pretty poor traffic. It takes me about 40 minutes to get 11 miles, gives you an idea of the traffic level. I get about 33mpg on that journey.

On the way home the past 2 days, I tried going to long route home down the M1 all the way to Lutterworth. It's about 15 miles of motorway at 70mph (low traffic for that stretch of M1 as everyone piles off at Junction 21) down to Lutterworth at Junction 20, then I head back north through Lutterworth itself and up the country roads at about 50mph back home. On that journey the past 2 days I got about 44mpg which I am happy with.

Basically it suffers quite badly in traffic, but if you get a nice clean run keeping to motorways and faster roads, and you're easy on the throttle, I could see myself hitting high 40's maybe 50 odd on a longer journey. That's good IMO.

Also the more I drive this 1.4 the happier I am. I can not believe how good it is.. to me the A4 is a quiet relaxed car and it really encourages me to drive at a relaxing and sensible pace. I stick to the speed limit and i'm happy at that... I very rarely lean on the throttle much at all. I take my time to get up to speed, maybe 1/3rd throttle ?. But it feels nice, and on the odd occasion I do lean on the pedal a bit more, it accelerates up to speed really quite nicely. Top stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: FWF and DaveW
My brakes nearly put you through the windscreen if you touch them ,light feather touch is all
I need to draw to a stop with out my face or passengers planted into windscreen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes they take a bit of getting used to, but I think they're the best brakes I have had on a car though...

I think I'm maybe expecting too much - it pulls away fine if I set the gas first, but my expectation from reading the handbook, the marketing material and the online Audi glossary (where it's now called Hill Start Assist) is that you could bring up the clutch, it would hold, then you apply the gas.

I think I'm maybe expecting too much - it pulls away fine if I set the gas first, but my expectation from reading the handbook, the marketing material and the online Audi glossary (where it's now called Hill Start Assist) is that you could bring up the clutch, it would hold, then you apply the gas.

Hi mate been putting Car in my drive and no roll back with hill hold assist activated I just leave it switched on all the time do you have the separate button ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I think it behaves differently auto Vs manual - I'm manual.

Auto High Beam: This is a very simple mod to turn on with OBD11/VCDS. All cars have the ability as it uses the pre-sense city camera. It took me of 2minutes to turn it on, and it works perfectly! Can't believe Audi have it as a £150 option when everything is already there and it just needs switching on!
This sounds interesting, I’m not sure what OBD11/VCDS is but will have a look around, do you have a guide or instructions on to to make this change, be great to save £150. Thanks.

Just chipping in here regarding the Hold Assist on my manual.
I stop at some traffic lights facing up a hill. I have used the foot brake to bring me to a stop and I put on the electronic "hand" brake. I then sit in neutral. Feet of all pedals.
When pulling away I put my foot on the brake to let the car know I have control and remove the electric brake.
I put the car in gear and move my foot from the foot brake and move to the accelerator. During this process the car does not roll back, it sits there, I don't have to find the biting point in order to keep the car safe and move forward. Is this not the case for everyone else? As far as I can tell its working as described in my car.

Mine was delivered Thursday and just passed 600 miles since.

Love it.

Strong points

• Interior is stunning, a lovely place to sit. Love the leather alcantara trim.
  • Running noise is amazing quiet when up to speed and at low RPM
  • Have the driver assistance pack. Amazing tech, the active lane keeping with ACC makes motorway cruising very relaxing.
  • Virtual cockpit is amazing but I must admit not strictly needed.
  • Fuel consumption, was worried about this, but first motorway journey down south achieved 44MPG. First commute 37MPG, weirdly better than the BMW (320i) on commuting worse on motorway.
Negatives

• Engine is noisy when at higher RPM
  • Delay when pressing on the pedal (I’ve the auto) is large, very noticable vs my outgoing F30 320i
Lastly a photo, out with the old in with the new

Attachments

• 8D894562-89CA-43BF-9DD4-52BFA15AFAED.jpeg
    8D894562-89CA-43BF-9DD4-52BFA15AFAED.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 829