Shell V-Power Diesel

Vertigo1 said:
Utter waste of time and money, don't bother with it.

Thanks Vertigo,

I'll stick to Sainsburys bog standard.

As has been discussed before, they're just trying to drum up interest off the back of the performance petrols.

The problem is that the petrols have a real, tangible improvement in that they're a higher octane rating and engines which can adjust their timing to suit will definitely benefit from this.

This can't be done with diesels so they have to resort to weird additives and other crap which supposedly improves the performance but I've yet to see a single independent test which verifies any of the claims for the performance diesels so I think it's all just marketing guff.

I make my own biodiesel. If you add 5-10% unleaded you will see and feel a marked improvement in performance.

If it is a natural gas liquid product additive then I would suspect methanol. Trouble with that is the damage it can do to rubber parts in the fuel system. This is one of the reasons to wash biodiesel. I remember many years ago Shell having to settle claims for damaged engines after using an "enhanced fuel".

One must remember that Rudolf Diesel designed the diesel engine to run on peanut oil. There are many people putting straight veg oil from the supermarket shelf in their tank without issue. (So illegal it is not worth the hassle).

If you want to zing to your oil burner just add 5% unleaded to the tank. (of course this is at your own risk)!!! This is also legal as it is a duty paid fuel.

Biggles

Oh forgot to mention.

Methanol is VERY toxic. 3 teaspoons is enough to kill, 2 is enought to blind and paralise for life. I use it to make Biodiesel and treat it with the greatest of respect.

Biggles