service light

jonny87

Reaction score
when i first got my car it was "serviced" after about 3-400 miles the it said service on the dis on startup

took it back to where i got it and they apologised and said they hadnt set the service interval or something, no more service message

then about another 200 miles later it come back on again, this time i took it to my mate/trusted mechanic and he plugged in the cimputer reset the service indicator but could not see why it had been triggered

and now maybe another 500 miles later its come on again :(

has anyone got any suggestions?

Sure the oil has been changed. Isn't there an oil level/quality sensor? If not could be a problem with ecu or dash possibly?

thats why i put "serviced"

ive not done 2000 miles since buying the car and the oil is filthy, not black but not far off, the level is ok though

its having its 100k service this weekend which is oil, filter and pollen filter plus im changing the plugs too so maybe it will be ok afterwards

ive never heard of an oil quality sensor though?

I had the same problem with my old Seat Altea. It kept deciding to flag up a service required message every 700 - 900 miles, despite trying to reset it on the dash. In the end I connected it up to VCDS and some knob had reset it at some point and cocked up all the mileage values etc. I reset it to standard with VCDS and all was well after that. There's a menu where you can choose what service reset you want to choose.

thats why i put "serviced"

ive not done 2000 miles since buying the car and the oil is filthy, not black but not far off, the level is ok though

its having its 100k service this weekend which is oil, filter and pollen filter plus im changing the plugs too so maybe it will be ok afterwards

ive never heard of an oil quality sensor though?

Mine had the same problem when i bought it last year. so for piece of mind i just dropped the oil out and changed the filter at home, then asked 1 of my collegues at work to reset the service light and ive never had a problem since.

i know mine uses a litre of oil every 700 miles, so by rights the oil should be fresh (ish)

how often are you service intervals? mines on longlife every 20k, which i thought was high, but its had the same service intervals from new.

Mine had the same problem when i bought it last year. so for piece of mind i just dropped the oil out and changed the filter at home, then asked 1 of my collegues at work to reset the service light and ive never had a problem since.

i know mine uses a litre of oil every 700 miles, so by rights the oil should be fresh (ish)

how often are you service intervals? mines on longlife every 20k, which i thought was high, but its had the same service intervals from new.

1l for every 700miles!!! That's not right. I use about 1l a year. You sure you haven't got a leak somewhere.

Audi reckon a ltr every 1000 miles is acceptable. Personally, I think it's not right as well.

1l for every 700miles!!! That's not right. I use about 1l a year. You sure you haven't got a leak somewhere.

thats what i thought when i bought it, cars clean as a whistle underneath, according to the audi mastertech at work its completely normal. i did question it tho. my mates s3 8p is exactly the same.

Audi reckon a ltr every 1000 miles is acceptable. Personally, I think it's not right as well.

totally agree, although i think i would be slightly concerned if it wasnt using any at all. im not exactly shy on the throttle either tbh. maybe thats not helping matters. :)

thanks for the replies guys, wow a ltr of oil every 1000 miles, best hope the government dont catch wind of this or they'll tax the sh!t out of it!!

i checked my service record looks like its been on 20000 mile long life service up to 50000 miles then no stamp until close on 90000 miles, which is a bit worrying and then stamped again at 97000 miles which is when i bought it

im not a believer in long life services and as stated above will be doing its 100k service soon and then keep to the schedule but do 12 monthly oil changes (only about 7000 miles for me)

o also my mates garage doesnt have vagcom specifically just a snap on laptopamabob, reckon he could still access the service intervals or will i need vcds?

cheers

Probably need VCDS to access the reset parameters, as most tools will just volunteer a standard reset or a longlife reset.

i dont know if the same applies with the 2.0t fsi engine, but the 1.8t bam engine from the s3 8l and leon cupra r used to have a problem with the oil pick up pipes blocking, due to running on anything other than longlife, i dunno if its the case with the 2.0t fsi, but it mite be worth checking before you shorten your service intervals. just to be on the safe side :)

never had this problem on my old s3 and i did 6 monthly oil changes back then, although i did get rid of the hockey puck and fit a catch can, if those are the pipes you are on about mate?

never had this problem on my old s3 and i did 6 monthly oil changes back then, although i did get rid of the hockey puck and fit a catch can, if those are the pipes you are on about mate?[/QUOTE

sorry mate, i got it the wrong way round, just spoke to me mechanic now. longlife was no good for the 1.8t as it got too thick and clogged the pick up pipe. i think you will be ok using shorter service intervals. it still maybe worth asking an audi master tech just to make sure. i just asked my mechanic and he said he's never heard any horror stories or anything lol

i hate longlife, youre telling me oil is as good at 17000 miles as it was at 6000 miles? i'll never be sold on it, for what a service costs vs what a head starved of oil could cost due to blocked pipes/filters...

:)

i hate longlife, youre telling me oil is as good at 17000 miles as it was at 6000 miles? i'll never be sold on it, for what a service costs vs what a head starved of oil could cost due to blocked pipes/filters...

:)

hahahaha! so true! i dont understand it either. some people say over servicing is just as bad?? that also confuses me haha!