1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sat Nav maps update?

Matt2010 Jun 18, 2019

1. Matt2010

Matt2010 Active Member

In myAudi account, I can download updated maps to an SD card and update myself.
    Has anyone done this and how long did it take as the file is over 20GB!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. KrisKrk

KrisKrk A6 C6 4F 2010 LeMans Avant Gold Supporter TDi Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group S-line owners group Manual Le Mans Edition

Best to speak to @HNH, site sponsor.
    Tech wizz he is

Sent from H P20 PRO

4. zippster

zippster Well-Known Member Team Mythos Team V6 Audi S3 Audi S4 Audi RS3 quattro

mine did the update over the air yesterday, didn't take long and continues in the background, started it this morning and told me it was done.

sve170 likes this.
  5. MartayMcFly

MartayMcFly Booooooost Gold Supporter VCDS Map User

@NHN

6. Matt2010

Matt2010 Active Member

What I mean is, I can just put the SD card (from the My Audi download) and it should do it automatically.
    With it being a massive file tho, is it going to take a couple of hours so battery charger needed?

You can download the latest map updates here and then install them in your vehicle using an SD card. You can download and install updates as many times as you like. The maps are generally updated every six months.

During the installation of a new map update, the map package currently installed in your vehicle’s MMI will be overwritten. The MMI will also show which version is currently installed.

You can also have the map update completed by your Audi partner ( costs may be incurred for this service).

installation instructions

1. Download the installation software for your laptop or desktop computer.
    2. Use the installation software to download the map update you have selected to an SD card (miniSD and microSD cards cannot be read).
    3. Install the SD card in your vehicle’s MMI in Menu -> Setup MMI -> System Update. Then select your memory card.

7. KrisKrk

KrisKrk A6 C6 4F 2010 LeMans Avant Gold Supporter TDi Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group S-line owners group Manual Le Mans Edition

I had mines done some time ago and the car was plugged into the charger.

It did took few hours to complete

Sent from H P20 PRO

Matt2010 likes this.
  8. Dan_DJT

Dan_DJT RS3 Saloon Team Floret Silver Audi RS3

I did mine via SD card, takes about 15 mins

Matt2010 likes this.
  9. Kris79

Kris79 New Member

I did mine the same as Zippster. Did the download online in the car and everything still works on the run. The install then finalises once the car is parked/turned off. Took about 30 mins to download.

10. Nickyc

Nickyc Member

How do you do it via download online in the car?

11. mattdsc

mattdsc Active Member

Did mine online with phone connected over BT.
    Set it up in connection manager, then go to Maps > Update and it should use your mobile 4G connection.
    Only did the UK as it is a pretty hefty download.
    Now got issues with Google Maps view on the Virtual Cockpit so its going into Audi 1st July (hopefully sneak in a MMI update whilst there - they quoted me £90 to update it to the latest version!!)

12. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

13. AudiNutta

AudiNutta Moderator Staff Member Moderator Sportback Gold Supporter Team Racing Blue Mica Audi RS3 Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group quattro

There was talk that very soon the license for the Google Satellite will be running out and won’t be renewed, be careful you don’t update yourself out of it altogether.

14. mattdsc

mattdsc Active Member

Thanks, will keep that in mind

AudiNutta likes this.
  15. billymc92

billymc92 2018 Ara Blue Facelift RS3

It’s happened to me!!! Don’t update people

16. AudiNutta

AudiNutta Moderator Staff Member Moderator Sportback Gold Supporter Team Racing Blue Mica Audi RS3 Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group quattro

What update did you have done?

EDIT: Just seen your thread, my maps was were updated a couple of months ago and I still have satellite.

17. billymc92

I’ve no idea what one it was, it was not via a SD card. It came up on my MMI screen I was driving and I accepted not really thinking

18. Callump01

Callump01 Well-Known Member Team Nardo Saloon Audi RS3 quattro

Tried to update mine yesterday on a long drive back from Oxford. I'm glad that it ended up failing half way through after reading your thread @billymc92! Hopefully you get it sorted mate... the standard maps looks rubbish!

19. deepy

deepy Member Sportback Team Nardo Audi RS3

As a test, I downloaded the Great Britain, Ireland and Iceland map update from 'My Audi' to USB. Loaded onto MMI and Google Earth still shows as an option.
    Perhaps it is only affecting' Over The Air' updates.

20. CWD

CWD Member

Updated mines last week and it was fine, you sometimes need to reselect google maps in the Audi connect menu, google maps shouldn't be effected by the navigation upgrade as its a real time overlay that's down loaded from the Audi Google servers that's why it takes time to activate when you start the car as its downloading the overlay actively

21. billymc92

That option has been removed

22. evil_scooby

evil_scooby Active Member

Mine did that yesterday as well. Was surprised as didnt think it had data

Maybe they push updates

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

zippster likes this.
  23. zippster

zippster Well-Known Member Team Mythos Team V6 Audi S3 Audi S4 Audi RS3 quattro

We had 3 years included for Audi connect .. Twitter , news etc.. but most importantly updates

24. sve170

sve170 Well-Known Member Audi S3 Audi RS3

Doing the update in the car is the easiest way possible.
    Have done it a few times with no hassle at all, not sure why anyone would update on a PC, transfer to SD card then upload to car?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

25. sve170

Why, update in the car........easy

26. sve170

Go into the MMI menus, scroll through the menus and you will eventually find one with Google Maps, highlight it and you should get a ‘drop-down’ menu. Look for the ‘Update Google Maps’.
    Click on the ‘Update Google Maps’ and it should start downloading the update.
    I have in the past started the update and then locked the car and walked away. Next morning it’s all updated and good to go.

27. deepy

deepy Member Sportback Team Nardo Audi RS3

Yes agree, the easiest way to update is to use the Audi online method (OTA). However, this will only allow the option to download e.g. United Kingdom (England South) or United Kingdom (England North). If you want the Full Europe Map or Great Britain/Iceland/Ireland then a PC will be needed to download from myAudi to SD card/USB.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019