Sachs/Loba Motorsport Clutch & SMF Noise

Tom5190

Reaction score
When I was choosing what clutch kit to buy I saw some mixed reviews on the noise of the stage 2 loba/sachs kit Some said it was ok and not too noisy some said the car sounded really loud at idle. I couldn't find any videos anywhere I searched for a while.

I went for that one anyway, I've fit it and its bedded in now, this is a video of start up & idle noise. The car is warm. It is a little louder at idle when cold but it doesn't take long to quieten down.

Audi S3 8P Loba/Sachs stage 2 clutch & SMF - YouTube

Hope this helps some people.

Reactions: HHS3, chrisstewart, mjr901 and 1 other person
This should help alot of people mate as that is the first question (well after price anyway) they ask....Is it noisy??? Seems to put people off but there is no reason why it should especially when theres normally a performance exhaust and intake fitted.

Reactions: chrisstewart
I actually hadn't heard one of these SMF's on an S3 yet.

After hearing that I personally wouldn't fit one to mine if I had my manual S3 again.

Thats too noisy in my books, and there should be some refinement left in the luxury sports car I think.

Yes function over form and all that, but I draw the line at what sounds like a wee bloke chucking a spanner around under there.

Great video though, will show people exactly whats what.

It doesn't fuss me too much to be honest as I cant hear it on the inside of the car. For me its very 'overkill' at the moment as the engine is standard. I'm planning a stage 3 shark by the end of the year so I thought I may as well go for it now due to my clutch being completely fubar.

I'm in two minds as to go for the Loba SMF kit or go for a Dark Side developments kits. The Loba flywheel is just under 7kg and the Dark side is 10kg. From what I've read the heavier the SMF the less noise.

Good video though and will certainly help people make a choice.

It doesn't fuss me too much to be honest as I cant hear it on the inside of the car. For me its very 'overkill' at the moment as the engine is standard. I'm planning a stage 3 shark by the end of the year so I thought I may as well go for it now due to my clutch being completely fubar.

Agreed, for any great power increase the SMF is the safe way to go and you've done the right thing.

I couldn't live with that either.
I'll just be keeping a dmf and Sachs kit I think.
Pleased you done the video as everyone has different expectations and this shows what its like 100%

To be fair,the car will sound a bit rattly at idle,but on the move,you honestly will not notice that.

Mine is particularly noisy,but as Brodster has said,on a modified car,you're going to be making a few compromises.

If you really don't want that,the Sachs organic and DMF will cope with up to 440lbs if it's run in properly,and not subjected to drag style starts.

I kinda agree with the noise of the SMF but as i have had one fitted for a year now the noise doesn't affect me at all. Once you are moving the noise disappears and all you can hear is the intake and exhaust.

I guess you guys will hate my car then as i'm now running Revo Engine mounts with SMF which makes the noise increase quite abit in the cabin.

But when moving it goes but is replaced with the engine rumble.

Revo Technik Engine Mounts Audi S3 Stage 2 + - YouTube

Reactions: Brodster