S4, second hand purchase, options dilemma, diff and DSG, or no diff and manual

Scrappy

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Have searched various forums and don't think this has been brought up before. Apologies if it has.

I am in the market for a B8 S4, and have been reading up on the options. I'm struggling to find one with all the options that I would like. I have come across various cars and have put a few things high up on my options list.

From what i've read most people tend to suggest that the best option out there is the sports diff. The diff will also mean (I hope) that it'll hold its value better if I decide to sell in the next couple of years. However. I have now come across one that has the diff and a lot of other options that I really want. I have also come across another one with the options I want which doesn't have the diff. Obviously i'm happy to pay more for the diff, the real problem is that the one with the diff is a DSG box, and the one without the diff is a manual box.

I would much prefer the manual box, but most forums feel the diff is something you can't live without.

I don't plan on taking it to a track, but I do like to drive twisty country roads in a less than comfortable manner.

My question is, if you had to choose between diff and DSG, or no diff and manual, what would you choose?!

Diff and DSG all day long. I don't have the sports diff myself but my car has the DSG gearbox and I converted and can say I wouldn't go back.

I've said before, I'll say again - DSG and the 3.0TFSI are made for each other. The manual mode with satisfy your fast road driving urges, auto does an ok job. Auto will suit at other times.

But I think it's each to their own. Drive both.

Yeah I think i'll probably have a go with both. I'm usually a manual man everytime, and i'm worried that DSG will become annoying and i'll stop using it and just use Auto all the time, and then never go back to manual. I've always driven manual and prefer them, so it's a tough one. I assume you guys are basing that decision on the diff being absolutely imperative, rather than just being fans of the DSG over manual?

What you wrote above about your feeling with a manual could have been written by me a year ago but my opinions been totally changed just living with it.

I think the diff is brilliant too. You get to the point where you would expect the front of the car to under-steer, then you get a funny movement from the back and it turns out that the rear wheel are pushing the car further into the corner. I think that's it anyway. The grip is really impressive. If you like a blast, this will enhance it. Saying that, I haven't driven an S4 without it, so my opinion isn't really based on experience of both. Those without are happy, so grip/cornering must still be good.

great, thanks for the input. I guess until I try the DSG I just won't know. At the minute, i'm feeling like the diff is enough of a reason to get the DSG and try living with it for a while. I guess if I hate it I can always look for a manual.

I've had manual's all my driving career - this is the first DSG for me and I'm delighted with it. The power delivery is absolutely seamless and the fart noise is makes on a spirited up shift is highly amusing. Its not perfect, but its pretty close.

I don't have the sports diff - since my car is used 90% of the time for carting the kids around I chose to invest in 'comfort' features rather than dynamic ones and can confirm that the handling in stock form is very very good. Overall much better than my previous S3 HOWEVER it doesn't feel quite as nimble around the corners. Hardly a surprise given this is a bigger estate vs a hatchback but I do wonder if the sports diff would have taken care of that.

I'm still learning the limits of the car but not once have i found it wayward in terms of handling so in conclusion I would say the standard handling is excellent for a big beast of a car but the dif would be the cherry on top rather than something you 'need'.

Only ever had manual high powered cars, would not go back after owning a DSG car.

I'm in the same position looking at an S4 or maybe a B7 RS4 going to drive both and see.

Spec for the S4 I'm set on getting the Quattro sports diff, transmission wise I'm torn. I've always hated any auto car I've driven that was until I drove a DSG TT V6 and its way better than I was expecting so I'm now looking at either transmission.

From what I can gather you can go stage 2 on the DSG no problem but you need to upgrade the clutch on a manual car at that level.

I had a an auto Twin Turbo 400BHP supra, and that box was pants compared to the stronic. The amount of times in manual mode I forgot which gear I was in and shifted up only to whack it in neutral, lose power and feel like a nob...
The paddles are a dream compared to that.
I had a B7 quattro and hugged the roads, so not sure you'd notice not having the diff too mich

Quattro, S-Tronic longitudinal box can handle 550NM. Audi usually limit cars with it to 500NM and use the Tiptronic box for cars with more torque. It's in the RS4, S4, 3.0TDI etc, but the Bi-Turbo TDI and some later more powerful versions of the 3.0TDI have to use the Tiptronic now. Certain transverse mounted version of DSG can handle 600NM

So if you are planning on mapping the car past this magic figure, the manual might be a better option. I've not mapped mine because I'm at 500 already, but I have accepted this and just enjoy what I have and it makes me grin ok. I don't have the fancy sports diff, but I have had the car sideways "delibrately" and it handles very fine to me :) best I've ever owned by a large margin.

B8.5 3.0TDI (245/500)

I went from a manual 911 rwd to an s4 dsg so from one extreme to the other! I must say I am totally impressed and been an advocate for dsg since

My only gripe I must add is that when using the paddles I can't hear the engine so end up reverting to auto!

Reactions: ub7rm
My only gripe I must add is that when using the paddles I can't hear the engine so end up reverting to auto!

This is true, its very difficult to figure out which gear you're in without looking at the display.

Reactions: razza1
And where I sit... Lower down..I can't see the gear on the display either.

I guess I could just turn the awesome stereo down ;)

Reactions: skiptowncat
I could do with hearing more whine... though I notice after 3000 miles its starting to loosen up a bit and sound a little bit meatier and I can pick up a little bit of whine in the lower rev range.