S3 window mechanisms

quattrokid

Reaction score
Blow me!!

This noggy IS becoming a pain in the tits!!

The previous owner mentioned that the passenger side window is dodgey ! so I haven't touched it, yesterday the drivers window went down and wouldn't close, came up about an inch the stopped and retracted fully open ( BLX) !!

Tried a few times but it wasn't having any of it so when we got home I removed the door card and lubricated the glass runner guides but still only came up a few inches, stopped then self retreated again!!

Eventually coaxed it fully closed again and disconnected everything .... fortunately the door is getting replaced due to bad rust bubbling along the blade trim

Anyone breaking an A3 /S3 2001 vintage who has known good window mechanisms please ?

Cheers

Rich

Last edited:
Sounds like the clips on the wires have gone, mine did exactly the same,

3quid of eBay and fixed.

Thanks guys, I've contacted thrcevsu seller who I've bought the door from, he thinks the mechanism gubbins is still on the door, he's off to check for me and look for the passenger door he has there as well and if that's got it's mechanism take if off for me.

Gary ...is that the blue rectangular things the glass sit in as it travels up and down the guides? So because the window goes both ways the motor regulators are ok then ?

Yeah, it's them I was having hassle with mine,

Only on close inspection I could see the little metal barrel on the wire that sits in them could come out on one side, which I'd took pictures now.
It'd tilt the window an go back down. Worth a look and a 3quod fix

If I was you and if you have an Audi dealership[ or TPS nearby just pop down and get the proper Audi window clips as its like £7.50 for 2 clips.

The part number is in the link Kwistof posted to earlier and that also has the guide I used to replace my clips as you need to remove the doors subframe to access the clips.

Reactions: kwistof
Yes mate those are the boys but as I said for the extra couple of quid it costs I would get the OEM ones as they are revised stronger design and now pink not blue, here is my post from the other thread as it has all the relevant info :

2 x new clips from TPS was £7.50 (you can buy them singley too but why not replace both anyway) and they are the new style with the metal inserts and sort of a pink colour.

Part number is 4B0 837 463 B

putting the clips on is easy its the removing of the door sub frame that's a bit of an art but as long as you mark all the torx bolts, wedges etc before removal its not too bad.

I used this guide for reference Audi A3 Electric Windows Fix

Its just all proper fiddly but back together now and my little dog is happy too cos he can once again stick his head out the window