S3 wheels and tyres for track-days

mlx

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an AUDI S3 8V and I am thinking about increasing the lateral size of the wheels from 7.5 to 8.5.
The objective is to have better traction and better adherence on the track even if I will also use the car for daily driving in normal traffic.

So I am not sure about two aspects:

1) Should I go for 19x8.5 or should I stay with 18x8.5? 19x8.5 are beautiful, but are they ok with track days, especially thinking to side curbs? I don't want to destroy them..
2) What tyre would you mount on 18x8.5: 225/40 R18 (that is the same I have now on the 18xj7.5) or 255/35 R18? I have the feeling that increasing the channel to 8.5 keeping the same 225 size tyres is useless.. the only way to preserve shape is then to go for 255: isn't it too big, or will fit OK?
3) In case you suggest the 19x8.5 I guess the optimal choice is 235/35 R19 ,right?

Many thanks for all the feedbacks!

Based on my track days I would suggest to stay with 18's rather than going to 19's. The 18's have a bit more side-wall and will be less twitchy and more forgiving. Personally I think 19's are only for looks and not really for improved handling (pimpin' look in my opinion), the side-wall is just way too low; if you want better track times, stick with the 18's. Having spoken to some of the guys that track their E92 M3's, a lot of them prefer 18's over 19's (even on an M3 that has bigger overall wheel compared to S3).

As for tyres, I'd suggest 255/35s on an 8.5" rim; they are closest to stock diameter and will give you more/or/less a "square" set up. PS check if 255's will fit without rubbing first..

Hope this helps..

Personally I'd stick a lightweight alloy in 8j and stick to the 225 r18 tyre and get some Dunlop direzza or Michelin PSS

Those tyres have tones of grip I mean 255 is a bit overkill unless your chasing lap times what's a second or two here or there.

Plus other factors like road noise and mpg and the cost to replace is it really worth it for a second or two quicker lap? You won't really see the benefit on the road as you shouldnt really be finding the limits of grip on 255's.

Some good lightweight wheels make a big difference to handling though one of the best mods I did on my last car and I will at some point be getting some for this motor.

echo_mike and RobH_S3, many thanks for your comments!
As you notice I am a bit undecided: ;)

As for tyres, I'd suggest 255/35s on an 8.5" rim; they are closest to stock diameter and will give you more/or/less a "square" set up. PS check if 255's will fit without rubbing first...

How can I check this before buying?

Personally I'd stick a lightweight alloy in 8j and stick to the 225 r18 tyre and get some Dunlop direzza or Michelin PSS

Those tyres have tones of grip I mean 255 is a bit overkill unless your chasing lap times what's a second or two here or there.

My main concern is to be as much as possible on the "safe side". I am not a professional driver, and I know that everytime I go on the trak there is a bit of risk. I am considering larger tyres more for this reason rather than for pure performance at this level. Of course, if this can make a difference..

Some good lightweight wheels make a big difference to handling though one of the best mods I did on my last car and I will at some point be getting some for this motor.

I am looking at a couple of OZ around 8 kg that should be 18x8.0. However, BBS CH-R are very nice, but they produce only the 18x8.5 version

Many thanks for all your comments, they are definitely useful!

Youd be better spending money on track tuition rather than thicker tyres. Youll learn a lot and most companies that run track days offer this service and its only like £20.

The oz's sound sweet ive got my eye on the neuspeed rse12's