S3 smoking exhaust when engine warm

VAG_Club001

Reaction score
Greetings,

Any idea what might be the cause of this?

The car does not smoke on idle or cold but happens when the engine gets hot / normal operating temps. Also happens if the car pulls away from traffic lights.

As per video when idling for a little while then Rev the engine it will puff smoke from the exhaust.

It was a suspected turbo but has since had a new turbo and pcv but the problem persists.

This is a mates car so any help is appreciated

KKP

If the turbo has been replaced the next likely culprits are valve stem oil seals and piston rings.

Mileage and history?....does it get thrashed etc?

Reactions: VAG_Club001
If the turbo has been replaced the next likely culprits are valve stem oil seals and piston rings.

Mileage and history?....does it get thrashed etc?
58k on the clock yh thats what im thinking piston rings should snoke constant and stemseals should only be on start up turbo has been rebuild to brand new hybrid

58k on the clock yh thats what im thinking piston rings should snoke constant and stemseals should only be on start up turbo has been rebuild to brand new hybrid
It's your car?

There is no reason why stem seals can't leak as the car is running or the same for worn rings to be honest

Both will leak under load if worn.

Seriously.... Exclude each likely cause and you're left with what's at the root of the problem.
The turbo and PCV have been replaced and that only leaves the seals and rings and possibly the breather to the rear of the cam cover.
This has a valve which can fail and it empties into the turbo inlet piping so it's worth checking as well.

Something clearly isn't right so work through the causes but try the simple cheap ones first b

Reactions: VAG_Club001
It's your car?

There is no reason why stem seals can't leak as the car is running or the same for worn rings to be honest

Both will leak under load if worn.

Seriously.... Exclude each likely cause and you're left with what's at the root of the problem.
The turbo and PCV have been replaced and that only leaves the seals and rings and possibly the breather to the rear of the cam cover.
This has a valve which can fail and it empties into the turbo inlet piping so it's worth checking as well.

Something clearly isn't right so work through the causes but try the simple cheap ones first b
yh definately mate i cant find where the rear one is i want to change that

yh definately mate i cant find where the rear one is i want to change that

It's a small diameter plastic pipe that empties into the inlet just above the turbo.

Someone else might have a picture to help you....I don't unfortunately.

That happens with mine, but I don't always notice it and its not as much as that. In fact the only time I notice is when im following the wife when she's driving it and it doesn't always do it
I've put it down to the Audi piston rings issue as I do use what I would call a more than normal amount of oil.

Reactions: S3Alex
Piston Ring wear for the same reason as above post.

Reactions: S3Alex
What about coked up valves? Suppose thatd be linked to the stem seals also

Cheers
Dave w

What about coked up valves? Suppose thatd be linked to the stem seals also

Cheers
Dave w

Coked inlet valves don't seem to cause this sort of issue.

I've had mine decoked a few times prior to sorting the entire breather system out,and oil smoke was never a problem.

This is the sort of thing you get with the coking problem,but the valves themselves still open and close well enough,it's simply a loss of inlet area.