S3 S Tronic Over Revving?

MxGaza33

Reaction score
Had my Shark stage 3 S3 for nearly a month now and I've noticed that when in Sport mode it will rev all the way to the red line before changing which makes sense, but the peak power seems to be around 6k. Revving further than that feels to actually be slower than changing that bit earlier in manual mode.

I thought I'd be able to leave it in sport and shift up using the paddle's that bit earlier when I need to squeeze every bit of power out, but it seems it can't compute the request for a manual change quick enough before the red line and just ignores it.

Is this something to do with the Shark map? Do standard S3's power peak at the red line?

That's mostly down to the stock turbo limitations

Shark Stg3 is the same as Revo Stg2+ I.e. Using an uprated HPFP and pump specific software.

The poor old K04 is pretty much maxed out by then and torque is rolling off significantly so what you're seeing is exactly that.

It means it's better to use the power and torque you have up to that point and not trying to drag the last few bhp out at the red line.

A bigger turbo has much better flow characteristics at lower turbine rpm and isn't as limited as running a smaller turbine to its limits.

My stock S3 power maxes out at about 6000 RPM (I have a dyno graph) however you should be able to change up manually before it automatically changes up in sport mode. The computer will automatically change up at the red line anyway even in manual or drive mode if you are thrashing it to stop it bouncing on the limiter.

The stock map on the DSG box from what i gather is fractionally slower than it can be once remapped, however as far as im aware Shark & REVO dont map the newer DSG boxes yet to improve the shift times...

When you had the car mapped a "patch" for the DSG should of been installed along with the remap for your car. PM brodster or N8 for some details they both deal with Shark. Or Shark themselves are helpful too.

Thanks for the explanation Alex, as long as it's the norm that's fine. Just didn't want it being caused by a poor map. Bigger turbo is definitely not on the cards, I spent enough money on the car to start with!

As for a DSG remap I'm not sure if that's been done, I'll find out. Theoretically if the launch control RPM and torque limit can be adjusted, can the shift points be changed too? Seems a waste to let it rev out and put unnecessary strain on the engine for no reason!

Reactions: S3Alex
I can't help in terms of the OP but my TDi insists on going to 4.5k but it runs out of poof at 4, which idiot makes this ish?

The upshift points on DSG cars are controlled by the gearbox and not the engine, the engine would probably rev to 7k ish with most remaps but the gearbox will change before that. Most K04 cars are factory set at around 6500-6700 for the upshift in the DSG software depending on what mode you are in. You are right, most of the time there is no point using the extra RPM over 6k unless you've got a Stage 2+ or above car that pulls clean all the way to 7250.

We could write you a custom file for the gearbox which demands upshift at whatever RPM you choose, say 6100 in all modes. We could also make the tip-tronic mode a full manual so it never shifts up or down unless you push the paddle therefore allowing you the full RPM range of the engine if you need it. We have done plenty of new DSG boxes, right up to the 2013 Golf R / S3 software versions. We've just got a new MK7 GTi DSG for demo so will be looking at the DSG software in that shortly too.

A complete custom file for the 2010 on DSG costs £399 inc vat, or £360 for Forum Members.

Reactions: MxGaza33 and S3Alex
Thanks for the info, Good to know it can be changed and the options there, whether it is enough of an annoyance to fork out to get the gearbox remapped I'm not sure yet! Will wait and see ;)

This is my print out from a stock car. I wouldn't say power trails off massively! 1456594 10153487300475711 418727230 n

Power peaks at 6000rpm,and torque is already rolling off from 4500 rpm.

Thats the problem in trying to wring the last few bhp out of it.