S3 Res Delete long term ownership

S3nutjob

Reaction score
Been heavily modifying my 2018 S3 and the final item on the list a Res Delete..

I have been trawling the internet etc for any reviews about living with a res delete long term. So far, I am coming up short. I am also getting mixed opinions about the anti-drone variant.

Basically, I want the all the enhanced sounds, but without the dreaded drone. 90% of my driving is motoway - and I cruise at 70mph, ACC engaged. B roads are another matter entirely..

Dynamic mode on the mway is as quiet as comfort, so I am hoping that this will be the same with a res delete. But, the reviews couldn’t be more polarised. Same with the anti drone variant.

advice greatly received.

BCS Power valve with the anti-drone elbow (chamber). Had one for a number of years when I had an 8V. Zero drone.
Great..thanks for the reply…when I have looked at the power valve anti drone models, there seem to be 2 different types. One has a horn - like the ‘other’ brands and the other has a small resonator type box - think this is called the Rev3.

both are advertised, and both are the same price. What differentiates the power valve with the horn from other brands with the horn? And, which one should I go for? Horn or rev3?

I am stage 3 with milltek full system, valveless and res delete - its loud on cold start and my wife hates it every morning at 0530 but hey, I love it.

Drone wise, can have a conversation no problem with anyone on the phone at 70+ mph for my commute home (40 mins)

I've got res delete without anti-drone section and stock exhaust valves open. I can confirm that there is a bit of drone at 70mph. Didn't experience it much with exhaust valves closed in comfort mode.

Great..thanks for the reply…when I have looked at the power valve anti drone models, there seem to be 2 different types. One has a horn - like the ‘other’ brands and the other has a small resonator type box - think this is called the Rev3.

both are advertised, and both are the same price. What differentiates the power valve with the horn from other brands with the horn? And, which one should I go for? Horn or rev3?
Don’t know the difference between the two but I had the “horn” type.

I’ve been running the res delete with the factory exhaust for about a year now and the only time when it drones is when the exhaust flaps open up, otherwise whilst cruising at different motorway speeds, b roads and even town driving no drone what so ever.

I’ve been running the res delete with the factory exhaust for about a year now and the only time when it drones is when the exhaust flaps open up, otherwise whilst cruising at different motorway speeds, b roads and even town driving no drone what so ever.
Thanks - was that with a standard res delete or anti drone?

Thanks - was that with a standard res delete or anti drone?
Just a standard one.
They don’t sell the one I have anymore on this site but this one seems to the be same.

from doing my own research I found that the so called anti drone ones were just a gimmick but each to their own I suppose.

Just a standard one.
They don’t sell the one I have anymore on this site but this one seems to the be same.

from doing my own research I found that the so called anti drone ones were just a gimmick but each to their own I suppose.
Interesting. There is also a significant difference in price. I wonder if most of the gripes are due to the standard delete + valves locked open?

Interesting. There is also a significant difference in price. I wonder if most of the gripes are due to the standard delete + valves locked open?
Would make sense I guess as the valves open mod is so common as it’s basically a free way to get the car louder and when you combine with a res delete it would cause quite a bit of drone.

I wouldn't be getting one from Awesome at that price, that's insane for essentially a section of pipe! I've been looking at a company called Zaustworx which are a very well known company, they sell different versions for the S3 ie mandrel or die bent. I'm looking at a 70mm mandrel bent one for mine and they're only £85 including clamps.

I wouldn't be getting one from Awesome at that price, that's insane for essentially a section of pipe! I've been looking at a company called Zaustworx which are a very well known company, they sell different versions for the S3 ie mandrel or die bent. I'm looking at a 70mm mandrel bent one for mine and they're only £85 including clamps.

Oh man, I looked at the pictures on the car and the bend looks horrible on the car, that is not how you want your pipe to be bent. No wonder it's that cheap.

Oh man, I looked at the pictures on the car and the bend looks horrible on the car, that is not how you want your pipe to be bent. No wonder it's that cheap.
Yeahh the one in the pictures is the die bent version, which is cheaper and looks terrible. The mandrel bent one however is exactly like how other more brands are.

Interesting…out of interest, is there a difference in fit between the hatch and the SB/ saloon? I am getting the impression that the exhaust systems are slightly different, therefore you need to get a type specific res delete. Also, what’s the compatibility with the mk 7.5 golf R?

Yeahh the one in the pictures is the die bent version, which is cheaper and looks terrible. The mandrel bent one however is exactly like how other more brands are.

Again, that is the die bent variant that they also sell, not the mandrel bent which I linked...

My S3 is Stage 3 this last 5 years or so and had a res delete installed maybe a year ago

It is loud? Not overly, louder for sure, cold start in particular

Not drony or annoying during my 50 mile commute daily

Sounds a hell of a lot better thats for sure!