S3 rear brake caliper circlip.

TwinCamMan

Reaction score
While changing out the seals on my rear calipers (2000 S3) I had to remove the circlip under the piston, this holding the handbrake mechanism within the caliper in place. On the first one I had the circlip nearly fully removed when it snapped, so on the second one I was extra careful but it snapped straight away, but luckily managed to get it out.

Called to Audi for replacements, but while they sell you the seal kit they can't sell you the circlip that you have to remove! Does anybody know where I can get them? If they broke that easily on me it must have happened to someone here too. They are not a standard type of circlip which I have tried (and it won't fit), anyone who has changed these out will know what I'm on about - they have a uniform external diameter of 36mm and uniform internal diameter of 30mm.

Any help would be appreciated.

Anyone have an idea on this? Here is a photo of the circlip with the last 3mm broken off on one side. 20131018 135740

Ok, contacted biggred.co.uk who I bought the seal kit from and they said that they can supply the circlips for me. Not cheap at £15 but most of that is postage to Ireland, and is cheaper than a set of calipers. They seem really helpful, here's hoping the circlips are the right ones. An option for someone who finds them in the same position as me.