S3 Drilled Discs & Pads

Luke1966

Reaction score
Alright folks. Anyone know a good place to buy reasonably priced Drilled Discs & Pads Online? Had a scout around and cant find much options out there.

There are quite a few on the market now by Tarox, Stoptech and ECS.

I've ordered these front and rear and hope to have them on in the next couple of weeks :-

Reactions: Flatcap, pburv and RO65ERS
they look nice @Rob2k68 I've just noticed that there is no grub screw on the discs!
are the OE the same?

Reactions: Rob2k68
they look nice @Rob2k68 I've just noticed that there is no grub screw on the discs!
are the OE the same?

Cheers ;o)

The countersunk screw holding disc to the hub is about 9.00 o clock in the photo.

Discs are ECS tuning 2 piece design with an alloy centre hat that bolts to the hub (which shouldn't go rusty!!).
Benefit over single cast iron disc is a 2.5kg weight save each on the front and 1kg each on the rear so 7kg total. Might help suspension a little with the reduction in unsprung mass. Will be fitting braided stainless steel brake lines at the same time and a full fluid change to Castrol React Performance dot 4.

Reactions: illingworth22, Lhasa2008 and pburv
Cheers ;o)

The countersunk screw holding disc to the hub is about 9.00 o clock in the photo.

Discs are ECS tuning 2 piece design with an alloy centre hat that bolts to the hub (which shouldn't go rusty!!).
Benefit over single cast iron disc is a 2.5kg weight save each on the front and 1kg each on the rear so 7kg total. Might help suspension a little with the reduction in unsprung mass. Will be fitting braided stainless steel brake lines at the same time and a full fluid change to Castrol React Performance dot 4.

oh so it is, what a d1ckhead!

they look lovely! suspect they weren't cheap mind?
i find the stock brakes pathetic! i borrowed a new A4, and the brakes on that walked all over the S3 brakes. I'm in two minds when i change my tyres in a few k, ill change my brakes, regardless that they are barely worn!

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
oh so it is, what a d1ckhead!

they look lovely! suspect they weren't cheap mind?
i find the stock brakes pathetic! i borrowed a new A4, and the brakes on that walked all over the S3 brakes. I'm in two minds when i change my tyres in a few k, ill change my brakes, regardless that they are barely worn!

It's kind of a half way house over a Big Brake Kit or fitting TTRS/RS discs and calipers. Some of the BBK's I've seen have sub standard clearances to the wheel requiring some of the wheel balancing weights to be moved, others require fitting spacers which I'm not interested in. Most of them also require you to bin the disc back plate which I didn't want to do. Also didn't want to mess up the front/rear brake balance and was keen to have front and rears aesthetically matching too. Ticks most of the boxes I wanted and cost was about half of a BBK too so I'm looking forward to getting them on. When I've fitted stainless lines in the past that's made a massive improvement to pedal feel and travel alone - the grooves should provide more bite and keep the pads clean.

I think EBC have just released red and yellow stuff pads which I'm sure will also help and also reduce the brake dust !

Reactions: pburv and RO65ERS
Now on my car fairly straight forward but you need a special tool for the rears :-

Reactions: Leevr, azibux1, Simon L and 2 others
They certainly look the part! How often do you have to check those screws for tightness?

They certainly look the part! How often do you have to check those screws for tightness?

Cheers ;o) Much improved initial bite so pleased with them thus far.

No idea - no documentation saying so but I'll keep an eye on them.

Reactions: GSB, Simon L and pburv
Reactions: pburv
270 might be better. It's got a higher temperature tolerance, higher breaking torque, and you don't need your threads to be surgically clean as it's tolerant of a bit of contamination too.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and pburv
270 might be better. It's got a higher temperature tolerance, higher breaking torque, and you don't need your threads to be surgically clean as it's tolerant of a bit of contamination too.
If you use 270 you will end up rounding off the heads of your screws.We sometimes have to heat up parts to get the loctite 270 to loosen up..

Reactions: GSB and Rob2k68
If you use 270 you will end up rounding off the heads of your screws.We sometimes have to heat up parts to get the loctite 270 to loosen up..
Exactly, the cyclical heat from the brakes will render anything less pretty useless in fairly short order. Of course rounding the heads is quite likely, but thats assuming you're ever going to take them out? Unlikely I should think. I'd be more inclined to make sure that they never came out at all.

It'd probably be worth asking ECS what they've used already.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and pburv
Exactly, the cyclical heat from the brakes will render anything less pretty useless in fairly short order. Of course rounding the heads is quite likely, but thats assuming you're ever going to take them out? Unlikely I should think. I'd be more inclined to make sure that they never came out at all.

It'd probably be worth asking ECS what they've used already.
Pretty much a pointless discussion really as I should imagine ECS would have the appropriate adhesive on such a safety critical component..Wouldn't do any harm in asking I suppose..:friends:

Rob, have you got any pics of the back of these discs at all? I'm curious to see how ECS handles the differential expansion of iron and aluminium, and how it's transmitting so much torque through that joint between centre and rotor.

Pretty much a pointless discussion really as I should imagine ECS would have the appropriate adhesive on such a safety critical component..Wouldn't do any harm in asking I suppose..:friends:

That's what I thought...

Rob, have you got any pics of the back of these discs at all? I'm curious to see how ECS handles the differential expansion of iron and aluminium, and how it's transmitting so much torque through that joint between centre and rotor.

Ah no I only took pics of the front but here's one from their website :-

Reactions: illingworth22 and pburv
Look like all metal locking nuts on the backs. Nice looking discs.

They do look good, really good, and saving that much weight can only be a good thing too. I'd keep an eye on them though, especially if you intend to use the car on track.Track use might well expose the fact that ECS appear to have rigidly mounted the iron disc to the aluminium bell, which no other notable manufacturer of two piece rotors does. They all have some mechanism in play where the discs radial expansion can be accommodated without distorting the bell.

AP for instance, use bobbins. Others use sliders, radial pins, or other fixings and designs to give the required freedom of movement when using dissimilar metals;

The front suspension is definately more forgiving and less crashy over small bumps and speed bumps with 2.5kg less unsprung mass per corner which is a nice benefit.

I know what you're saying but ECS have had these in production for a number of years now since mk5 Golf I believe and have them available on many models of BMW so I'm not overly concerned.

The front suspension is definately more forgiving and less crashy over small bumps and speed bumps with 2.5kg less unsprung mass per corner which is a nice benefit.

I know what you're saying but ECS have had these in production for a number of years now since mk5 Golf I believe and have them available on many models of BMW so I'm not overly concerned.

The difference in small bump compliance would definitely be one of the first things you'd notice. Similar to moving from heavy oversized aftermarket alloys to something smaller, forged, and wallet smashingly expensive.

I wouldn't say you need to be concerned, just keep an eye on them as with a lightweight centre and additional mechanical jointing, they're not as bombproof as the Audi OEM discs were. Discs and brakes in general, despite being quite obvious and in your face, are often totally neglected.

The difference in small bump compliance would definitely be one of the first things you'd notice. Similar to moving from heavy oversized aftermarket alloys to something smaller, forged, and wallet smashingly expensive.

I wouldn't say you need to be concerned, just keep an eye on them as with a lightweight centre and additional mechanical jointing, they're not as bombproof as the Audi OEM discs were. Discs and brakes in general, despite being quite obvious and in your face, are often totally neglected.

Small Bump Compliance is exactly it - good way to describe it !

I wonder if the bolts are shouldered to act as a bobbin ? ECS are pretty major players in the US tuning industry so however they're constructed I'm sure they've had many 000's of miles D&D. I'll keep an eye on them nonetheless ;o)

Hi I know it’s a old thread but I am looking at getting these. How have they been over the years? What do they look like now if you still have them?

Hi I know it’s a old thread but I am looking at getting these. How have they been over the years? What do they look like now if you still have them?

EDIT: misread your post, however the information below could still be useful for others so I'll leave it here.

As @Dandanfings says the Zimmermann discs could be a cheaper alternative to the ones described by @Rob2k68:

Front: https://www.qp24.de/car-parts/brake-disc/600-3243-52-zimmermann/1690556
Rear: https://www.qp24.de/car-parts/brake-disc/100-3309-52/1689162/brake-discs

They look great Rob, how much did they set you back if you don't mind me asking, and where did you pick them up?
As well as a slight upgrade I like the idea of no more ugly looking visible rust!
If you contact awesome gti they can order them as I asked in email.

This is the email I got back:
Hi Chris!
We can special order these ones up for you.

Prices are as follows:

Front Kit – ES#3006069 - £672.34
Rear Kit – ES#2718299 - £564.89

We make an order on the 1st of each month with ECS Tuning, so providing A. They have Stock, and B. You get your order in before the 30th June – We could have a set here by 14th-17th July.

Hope this helps.
Kind regards,

Reactions: Oreo5000
Sorry for late reply - yes ordered through awesome gti via Al.

Had them on the car for 25k and sold the car with them on, no braking issues whatsoever and would buy them again in a blink. Had them paired with ECS yellow stuff pads which were a great match. Only cosmetic issue was that a couple of bolts were showing signs of rust so I sourced some black rubber caps to push over them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Oreo5000
It's the weight reduction I am after. Less rotational mass the more power to the ground.

2.4kg each front and 1.1kg each rear so 7kg total if I remember correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi there,
You said you need a special tool for the rear brakes.
Please could you point me in the right direction

Hi there,
You said you need a special tool for the rear brakes.
Please could you point me in the right direction

Just to explaint it to you 100%, It's not a physical tool :icon thumright: OBDeleven can also do it for you fairly easy using the "apps" funciton.