S3 DEPRECIATION

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a straightforward single term PCP, there is no dispute from me that high deposit, low monthlies, vs low deposit, high monthlies makes a lot of financial difference on the numbers (one saves you interest over the term).

All I'm saying is, that on a single term PCP - a low deposit gives you options.
(The £2800 is irretrievable (unless you put the difference aside) when you use the large deposit, small monthlies scenario, but the other way around, you've got it in your hand ;))

Plus:

On a successive term PCP, where you start to climb the PCP ladder, and when you factor in other factors such as options on the car, settlement figures, valuations, the successive deposits required when you are a serial car changer, the first large deposit distorts the overall picture.

I'm sat next some someone who chopped in her car as a "deposit" - and is paying £180 per month for her new car.
At the end of the 3 years, she is going to have to find another large "deposit" to start a new PCP, to carry on is a similar car, with similar monthly payments. (Her previous car war worthh £8k).

That must have been an easy sale for the salesman! She's delighted at the moment. Maybe not so delighted in 3 years.

In the same way the term 'equity' is misleading and shouldn't be used, the term 'deposit' is misleading and shouldn't be used.

Yes! :D

Reactions: daydotz and Rob2k68
I could ask the same question in a slightly different way.

If you wanted to buy a S3 at £35,000

Would you get a bank loan at 3.3% for £25,000 to use as a "deposit" on a 6.8% PCP to keep the monthlies low, knowing full well that in 12-18 months you were going to change car to a RS3 at £45,000 ?

Audi wouldn't accept my Ford l had to sell it then Audi cleared the finance for me,it depends on the other marquee your changing too....best to sell it and settle you're pcp,then take ownership of another pcp.
If you had to sell it wouldn't you have cleared the finance?
I suppose if they don't deal in marquees ;)

Would you get a bank loan at 3.3% for £25,000 to use as a "deposit" on a 6.8% PCP to keep the monthlies low, knowing full well that in 12-18 months you were going to change car to a RS3 at £45,000 ?

Possible not....

I see your point. I guess theoretically, if you work out the difference in monthlies between say £5k deposit and £10k deposit, then put away that difference each month into your savings after putting in £10k, you will be in an identical position.

But in reality, I imagine this doesn't happen often...!

Reactions: richinsoton and veeeight
If you had to sell it wouldn't you have cleared the finance?
I suppose if they don't deal in marquees ;)
Finance for the Ford was settled by Audi when l passed on the cheque/deposit

Reactions: pburv
I'm sat next some someone who chopped in her car as a "deposit" - and is paying £180 per month for her new car.
At the end of the 3 years, she is going to have to find another large "deposit" to start a new PCP, to carry on is a similar car, with similar monthly payments. (Her previous car war worthh £8k).

That must have been an easy sale for the salesman! She's delighted at the moment. Maybe not so delighted in 3 years.

Is she fit?

After reading people moaning about their S3's, does everyone still recommend them or not cos I'm really stuck whether to stick with my A3 or get the S3 or a completely different car?? What would everyone do?

Possible not....

I see your point. I guess theoretically, if you work out the difference in monthlies between say £5k deposit and £10k deposit, then put away that difference each month into your savings after putting in £10k, you will be in an identical position.

But in reality, I imagine this doesn't happen often...!

That's exactly what I do. I can't be the only one, can I?

I have a dedicated savings account just for the car. It does keep the monthly payment nice and low which is a bonus, but it's only one factor, and it seems to be the one obsessed over by buyers and sellers alike, for all the wrong reasons.

One aim of my doing this is to be in a position where I can pay the GVF at the end of the term. I may not need to, but I think it's good to have the option.

My other aims when using pcp and paying largish deposits are all about credit rating and insurance;

Whether you like it or not, and there's a sizeable chunk of people on both sides of the fence here, consumer credit (or DEBT if you really want to grab a headline or two, or be a bit judgemental.) is the basis of our economy and is way these cars are bought. Not only that, but it's also the reason these cars exist at all. There's no way anyone but the most dedicated and disciplined saver could afford to drop £35k in savings on a warmed over shopping car with an outrageous surfeit of power like an S3, and anyone that sensible would buy a Kia anyway. Without the system of finance there would be no demand, and thus no nice cars to buy. Look to east Germany prior to 1991 to see this in action.

So, credit is the basis of the economy, and if you want to get along in this economy you go with it. Hence, most mortals buy on finance.

This of course makes the ability to get finance (DEBT), when you need it very very important. Life with a bad credit rating is extraordinarily limiting. Can't rent or buy a house to live, can't get an overdraft, cant go on holiday and rent a car, can't do anything except try to save some money and live hand to mouth. Been there, couldn't even borrow a fiver, no rush to go there again. Having a good credit rating is just as important as having a rainy day fund, and I protect mine jealously.

So, the reasons I put a big deposit down and then save the remainder of the GFV? (Those questioning the use of the word deposit, please consult a dictionary)

Putting in a sizeable chunk reduces the size of the debt. The amount of money you owe or have access to on credit is one of many factors used by lenders to work out how much you can afford to borrow, and how much of risk you are. Putting £10k less on credit lowers my risk factor and also (theoretically) means I can get my hands on £10k extra on something else, like a mortgage, should I want, or more importantly, 'NEED' to.

Savings are a good thing. Again, your cash position and a demonstrable level of responsibility are good for your credit rating. The low monthly payments of a pcp compared to a straight loan makes having savings really easy. If you could afford the loan payments of £600 per month, but take out the same debt on pcp at £200 per month plus balloon, you get to save £400 a month. You get the same car, you end up in the same position, but you've been a good little saver along the way and scored extra brownie points with the banks and lenders, who see your savings and offer lower rates, better deals, and many other perks.

The GVF in a PCP is a security blanket, but is rarely seen as such. If the car is worth more than the GVF I get to keep the extra. But if the market shifts due to say, a monumental VAG emissions cheating scandal, or a GM-Saab style total business failure, or another global financial crash, and suddenly I find my three year old overpowered, inefficient and expensive to run S3 is worth £500, then I'll be glad of the GVF. It means I'm protected against the car costing me any more than my limited payments to that point and any catastrophic loss is Audi's loss. I'm willing to bet there's a great number of diesel owners currently on VW financial services books glad of such protection. That protection is not there on HP or bankloan funded purchases, and is an insurance policy in itself.

Finally, If the **** hits the fan, and I find myself out of work or unable to pay the repayments then I'm in a position where I am able to hand the car back, satisfy the lender, and close the account without damage to that all important credit rating. Yes, it may be a highly inefficient and expensive way to have bought the car, but even if I was the mythical super saver and had bought the car in cash, I'd be no better off in those circumstances.

That's my reasoning behind my use of PCP and paying a 30% deposit. It won't work for everyone I admit, but I thought l it might be a useful addition to this debate.

Reactions: richinsoton, Martinbanshee, SW14NY'S and 3 others
After reading people moaning about their S3's, does everyone still recommend them or not cos I'm really stuck whether to stick with my A3 or get the S3 or a completely different car?? What would everyone do?

If it weren't for the fact that I wanted the extra space, I'd have one of these. I've got a 2013 version at the moment, and despite the hairdresser jibes, it's a car that never fails to entertain, and is often a masterclass in car control and chassis dynamics that most modern cars do their best to insulate you from.

Last edited:
Reactions: S32B, richinsoton, TheFiftheElement and 1 other person
If it weren't for the fact that I wanted the extra space, I'd have one of these. I've got a 2013 version at the moment, and despite the hairdresser jibes, it's a car that never fails to entertain, and is often a masterclass in car control and chassis dynamics that most modern cars do their best to insulate you from.

View attachment 85186

That's not practical for me, where would I put the baby seats lol. Any other cars you suggest? A3 or S3?

Well, I've ordered an S3, since if I had an A3, I'd want an S3... I'm no expert on them yet though. I'm certainly no expert on kids, im not blessed by thier presence in my house.

That said, I'd also like a Jag XFR, an AMG c class, a VXR8, and a caterham seven.

Well, I've ordered an S3, since if I had an A3, I'd want an S3... I'm no expert on them yet though. I'm certainly no expert on kids, im not blessed by thier presence in my house.

That said, I'd also like a Jag XFR, an AMG c class, a VXR8, and a caterham seven.

Hmm they're probably out of my budget. I want an S3 but I'm worried I'd look like a boy racer, the A3 is probably more classy for me, plus will do more mpg!

Then we have something in common. I bought an S3 because it's so understated, and not very boy racer looking at all. Dynamically, it's blown away by the cheaper focus RS and Golf R, and even the Renault-sport Megane and the Civic Type R, but they all look like a bit to garish for my tastes.

Mind you, I ordered my S3 with body colour mirrors and no badges, so I like my cars conservatively styled.

Reactions: S32B
Pay whatever makes you comfortable with,a bigger deposit makes it easier to change earlier,as my son said, Nobody changes after the first year,
l only paid £7k deposit...l think lol...Rainy days come ye know,that's why l keep my my monthly's very manageable.

Reactions: pburv, SW14NY'S and Rob2k68
Then we have something in common. I bought an S3 because it's so understated, and not very boy racer looking at all. Dynamically, it's blown away by the cheaper focus RS and Golf R, and even the Renault-sport Megane and the Civic Type R, but they all look like a bit to garish for my tastes.

Mind you, I ordered my S3 with body colour mirrors and no badges, so I like my cars conservatively styled.

Body coloured Door Mirrors...Blasthemy...lol.....but l suppose its easily resolved

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
Dynamically, it's blown away by the cheaper focus RS and Golf R, and even the Renault-sport Megane and the Civic Type R

I'm not denying they may well have the edge dynamically, but "blown away"? NO!

What about the economy though, I've got 2 other cars to run so I'm worried about the amount of petrol it would cost me.

I think you have answered your own question, you "want a completely different car"

If I had as many doubts as you keep bringing up, then I would be looking to cancel my order. It's like you are trying to convince yourself that you don't want one :)

To answer your question though, I couldn't recommend an S3 enough. Obviously this does not mean that it would be suited to yourself though.

Another factor that may influence your decision is that the order books are now closed. So a swap from A3 to S3 will introduce a wait time which may not be expected.

Then with this comes the changes which are proposed, and more doubtfulness?

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
The dictionary defines deposit as something you expect to get back
Eg: deposit against renting a room, returnable at the end of the term

And
Monies as part of a loan, as part payment.

In this instance of a PCP it's probably more useful to treat it as the latter definition, as you never have it to hand again ;)

By all means put a large deposit on if you have the cash to hand, but my specific example in post #174 was asking if you would borrow money to fund a large deposit, which would in turn put another debt against your credit rating, but not only that, knowing you were going to climb the PCP ladder and change car in 12 months on another PCP ......

Im not saying that PCP is a bad thing, however, I would say that the vast majority of people aren't told the pros and cons upfront, given the amount of misunderstanding of why when they come to get their next PCP'd car, they have to find yet another large deposit to fund a similar car with similar sized monthly payments....

Everybody has a different outlook on risk and finances, for me having a small "deposit" means having the remainder of the cash to hand to give me options, should I need to use it in a hurry.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob2k68, richinsoton and DrEskimo
The dictionary defines deposit as something you expect to get back
Eg: deposit against renting a room, returnable at the end of the term

And
Monies as part of a loan, as part payment.

In this instance of a PCP it's probably more useful to treat it as the latter definition, as you never have it to hand again ;)

By all means put a large deposit on if you have the cash to hand, but my specific example in post #174 was asking if you would borrow money to fund a large deposit, which would in turn put another debt against your credit rating, but not only that, knowing you were going to climb the PCP ladder and change car in 12 months on another PCP ......

Im not saying that PCP is a bad thing, however, I would say that the vast majority of people aren't told the pros and cons upfront, given the amount of misunderstanding of why when they come to get their next PCP'd car, they have to find yet another large deposit to fund a similar car with similar sized monthly payments....

Everybody has a different outlook on risk and finances, for me having a small "deposit" means having the remainder of the cash to hand to give me options, should I need to use it in a hurry.

Indeed...horses for courses and all that. I know It was unlikely that I will even need a car in a couple of years, so when I took out my PCP, I got a 24month deal and knew I would see it till the end...(don't want to give it back..!!) so a higher deposit didn't matter either way. Just used the money from my previous private sale (bought and sold the old fashioned way..) to get the monthly figures to a point that was reasonable...

Hoping for a little bit back in the end to recoup some of the money I have lost by over paying at the end ('equity' if you like ;)), but otherwise I am effectively leasing the car for X amount over 2 years....

GF wants a new car so will try and use it to get a good deal on that for her...

Reactions: Rob2k68 and veeeight
I think if you're willing to see out over 2/3 of your PCP it can work well for the majority of people. My last PCP was for 36 months sold 24 months in. Put 3k deposit to begin with and came out with 2k 'equity', very happy with that. Got the S3 on 48 months, so gonna keep it for at least 3 years.

Don't understand the S3 bashing either. I think it's a smashing little car, and a great all rounder.

Reactions: Ben Daniel Grant, sjbarneS3, Rob2k68 and 2 others
Hmm they're probably out of my budget. I want an S3 but I'm worried I'd look like a boy racer, the A3 is probably more classy for me, plus will do more mpg!

Simple question. Are you going to use the extra performance of an S3?
If not get the relevant A3 model and save yourself £££s in purchase price and running costs.

Would you buy a massive American style fridge when you only need to keep a ready meal and a bottle of milk chilled?
Same argument.

Reactions: S32B and richinsoton
Simple question. Are you going to use the extra performance of an S3?
If not get the relevant A3 model and save yourself £££s in purchase price and running costs.

Would you buy a massive American style fridge when you only need to keep a ready meal and a bottle of milk chilled?
Same argument.

Thank you for putting it like that, you've probably just made up my mind :)

I think if you're willing to see out over 2/3 of your PCP it can work well for the majority of people. My last PCP was for 36 months sold 24 months in. Put 3k deposit to begin with and came out with 2k 'equity', very happy with that. Got the S3 on 48 months, so gonna keep it for at least 3 years.

Don't understand the S3 bashing either. I think it's a smashing little car, and a great all rounder.

No bashing just an opinion l don't express it much either,l don't need a good all rounder either just a more focused car that retailed at £40,000

Reactions: veeeight
I find it a little scary that some people aren't 100% sure of what they have signed up to nor seem to understand the differences between HP/PCP (referencing the insurance thread about who is the owner of the car) as well as using a larger deposit to offset monthly payments and the differences that makes.

A very simple rule for PCP is..............forget deposits/monthly payments for a moment, look at the total cost over the term and take the cheapest, if you are regularly cancelling finance early to change cars you are costing yourself more (I remember the old insurance endowment issues :)). If you can't quite afford it don't bladdy buy it, buy a cheaper car that 90% of the time will do exactly what you need it to do.

I like others have no issues with HP/PCP providing people understand the model within which they are operating and don't just take everything the salesman (who by definition is employed to actively sell you expensive shiny things) says as 100% factual.

For the miles some people do, hiring a car when you need one would be cheaper and possibly more interesting ;)

Reactions: richinsoton and MattB1989

The problem with this mate is that you can only apply a maximum of 50% for a PCP/Finance Deal. I'm in your corner on this one, I only put in 2k on my S3. Was in positive equity on the A3 Sportback I chopped in, which I guess obviously jumped up my contribution (not deposit) to the deal.

I pay mid 300's for my S3. I'd rather the cash in the bank. However, always seem to be skint these days. lol...coincidence you say?! :)

We've all got a different way of looking at a situation, which is why there are those different options to be had when buying a new car. For me, I'm more than happy with the cost of my monthly payment and my purchase, bar the absolutely useless stereo as standard. I enjoy my car when I drive it and when I give it a bath on the weekends [Rubber Ducky] :).

For me having a nice car takes the monotony out of life, the ability to scare myself stupid if I feel like it and something to tinker with when I get bored. Either way, I know I don't own this car and that I'm enterprise renting it from Audi. Which is why I'll never modify it. All that said and done, I am the one with the keys and I am the one with the car on the drive while i continue to make these payments, getting pleasure from the car, does that offset the amount of money I pay for the privilege, HELL YEA!

To anyone worried about GFV, monthly payments, deposit, modifications...go buy a Daewoo, some roller blades or a skateboard you'll have none of aforementioned problems to worry about.

G

Reactions: Terminator x, SW14NY'S, Jassyo06 and 1 other person

Sorry to hear about the bad p/x values people are getting, but it is always going to be an issue for mainstream cars on PCP when you are looking to change early and are in negative equity for the majority of the term. If you are a serial car changer, I think you are better of finding other ways of financing, or just keeping your car longer!

As said above, PCP can work out better if you see out most of the term. Although it is a BMW, we have just chopped in my wife's Z4 after 46 months on a 48 month PCP. We put in £1200 at the start, and have had £2,500 equity as a deposit for the next one. This was not at the expense of discount either, as we still had £7500 discount off the new car, which is pretty much the maximum available and the figure on coast to coast.

It is also worth shopping around, as a well known forum friendly BMW dealer offered us £0 for our Z4, but £7500 discount on a new car, whilst we eventually got the additional £2.5k from a local dealer we had bought from before.

I'm planning on keeping my S3 until it is 3-4 years old at least so hoping the depreciation curve will have flattened out a bit by then.

Reactions: Pulp84 and pburv
The problem with this mate is that you can only apply a maximum of 50% for a PCP/Finance Deal.

G

This is where I get confused. I always read 30% yet some deals are ~50% - so which is it?

This is where I get confused. I always read 30% yet some deals are ~50% - so which is it?

I just plugged this into the calculator over 48 months this was the maximum deposit it allowed - certainly closer to 50% than 30%, payments were 47x£99.28 :-

Reactions: A3_Rider, Jassyo06, SW14NY'S and 1 other person
You can't put more than the difference between the cost and the GFV. I.e. You can't reduce the GFV figure. It's fixed. If you put in the max, you are just paying the capital upfront and therefore just paying the interest of the GFV over the term.

On 36months the GFV is just about 50% so that's probably why. On a 48month you can put more in and on a 24month you can put less in

Reactions: A3_Rider and Rob2k68
lol the thing I love about my S3 is that it looks like a 'normal' car! The only time people realize how fast it is, is when they are looking at your 4 exhaust pipes becoming smaller and smaller in a matter of seconds :)

I wasn't even hitting max revs in each gear here:

If you are worried about MPG buy a diesel! If you want fun buy the S3 ;)

Reactions: MattB1989, pburv and Rob2k68
lol the thing I love about my S3 is that it looks like a 'normal' car! The only time people realize how fast it is, is when they are looking at your 4 exhaust pipes becoming smaller and smaller in a matter of seconds :)

I wasn't even hitting max revs in each gear here:

If you are worried about MPG buy a diesel! If you want fun buy the S3 ;)

We all have our own "definition of fun".....:shutup2:

Reactions: pburv
Yes we do jassy....

Apparently yours involves Michaela Strachan!

Reactions: Simon L, Rob2k68 and Jassyo06
Yes we do jassy....

Apparently yours involves Michaela Strachan!

Yeah back to nature and all that,she'll no av a Brazilian that's for sure,it'll be hip to hip
But don't share her love of animals...... :sex:

Reactions: Martinbanshee, Simon L, Kugaman1 and 2 others
Yeah back to nature and all that,she'll no av a Brazilian that's for sure,it'll be hip to hip
But don't share her love of animals...... :sex:
It will take a while to get that image out of my head......:yum:

Reactions: Simon L, Rob2k68 and Jassyo06
Status
Not open for further replies.