S3 Climate Control hot on one side and cold on the other

_a3sport

Reaction score
My car wasn't heating up to temperature even on long journeys, presume thermostat was jammed open so the garage replaced the thermostat and temperature sensor. Now however if I switch the climate control to auto and set both the temps to 18 degrees, all the LHS and centre LHS vents blow hot and the RHS and centre RHS vents blow cold. Also as soon I turn turn the climate control on the fans come on (not sure if that's what they always did). My car heats up to 90 degrees now. I initially thought it was doing this quicker than normal but this may be because of the heatwave at the moment. I checked it with VAGCOM. No relevant fault codes apart from a flap motor one shown below but I have had that for about 6 months. Could an air lock in coolant cause this issue? I do have full VAGCOM so can do any tests via that if required.

01809 - Actuating Motor for Temperature Flap; Left (V158)
003 - Mechanical Failure - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100011
Fault Priority: 3
Fault Frequency: 254
Reset counter: 251
Mileage: 46495 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2012.02.26
Time: 08:19:35

Freeze Frame:
Voltage: 14.40 V
Temperature: 23.0°C
(no units): 179.0
(no units): 171.0
Temperature: 3.5°C

Thanks samisnake. I will take a look at the flap motor. Probably won't get a chance till Tues/Weds.

Error probably was just the beginning of becoming fully faulty, they do eventually become worse but initially intermittently stop moving then start again, hence why no issue before so to speak.

It can also be low gas which may not show on a scan. Mine said no faults on VCDS and Audi scan but crack in condenser found so being replaced.

It was the V158. Got a second hand one from ebay for £10. Also my blower motor went not long after.

Is your car a 8V ? My condenser was replaced today by Audi dealer as good will repair as Audi Warranty on used cars wouldn't cover the faulty part.