Running in

Jon Roach

Reaction score
Picked up my new pride of joy Turbo blue S3 yesterday.
Having a search online and in manual but can’t find anything g about running in. Is this even a thing these days or is it just crack on from day 1?

TIA
Jon

I believe there isn’t one - Modern technology prevents you from doing damage at the start

Reactions: pburv and Jon Roach
No such thing really these days. For the rings to bed in on an engine properly they require pressure from the combustion event to force the ring onto the bore. If you baby the car with low rpm running you will miss the opportunity to get a proper bore seal with the rings. You don't need to red line it and you definitely want the engine upto temperature but enthusiastic driving is not an issue.

Reactions: pburv, JohnM100 and Jon Roach
Picked up my new pride of joy Turbo blue S3 yesterday.
Having a search online and in manual but can’t find anything g about running in. Is this even a thing these days or is it just crack on from day 1?

TIA
Jon
Congrats on the new car.
As stated above but importantly make sure it's to temp not just the coolant but oil as well before giving it some welly.:thumbs up:

Reactions: Jon Roach, Flying Scotsman and AdamInKent
I always wait till my oul temp is up before giving it some beans and ive never had any problems. Enjoy the new car

Reactions: pburv