Running in your new S4...

How did you run in your new S4?

• Total voters
Took it easy for the first 1k!
Not like driving miss daisy easy, just didn't go balz deep on the pedal

Reactions: Phill_
I've just been making sure mine is fully warmed up. I haven't had it on the redline, but then I have certainly exercised the engine!! I think ensuring the engine is up to temp is the only real thing to worry about!!

Reactions: Phill_
Loved the advice when I asked the guys how to bed in the tune on Tuesday. "Drive it like you've just stolen it" Mmmm.....

Reactions: TahirS and scotty76
I waited for mine to warm up and then didn't g over 5k for 1500 miles and then drove it normally.

Do you guys get the limited revs when cold on your S4's?

When the RS is cold and until fully warmed up, there is a 6k rev limit, after that over 8k is available!!!!!

As an added note, years ago I purchased a brand new big bumpered H Reg Golf GTI 16v in Hunter green etc etc.

It was my 1st new car and I treated very very well, I ran it in very gently and took my time and never abused it (at the start). It was always the quickest golf around, I had it 4 years and it was quicker than any other Golf of the same age, I always put it down to the way it was treated and ran in.

I had a brand new Astra coupé in Titan gold as a company car back around 2002/3 and red lined it when pulling away from the pickup/handover and continue to abuse it for 2 years of its lease and that never missed a beat either so I can't swear to running in being worth it or not.

Just my views on this, sorry for rambling.

For the first 200 miles I generally took it easy and kept the revs below about 4K except for the following:
Once every journey I would find a road where I could take it up to about 5K in M3 and then use engine braking to slow down for as long as possible. This was to help bed-in the piston rings.
After 200 miles I still did these runs occasionally although in truth any bedding-in would have been done by then (if not much sooner).
At about 600 miles I started to drive the engine harder regularly using up to 5K in 'normal' driving and occasionally redlining it.
From about 1000 miles I have been driving it as I want to.

Do you guys get the limited revs when cold on your S4's?

When the RS is cold and until fully warmed up, there is a 6k rev limit, after that over 8k is available!!!!!

That seems a great feature for the RS but doesn't apply to the S. B8s have a redline around 7K and B8.5s are reduced to about 6.25K.

Reactions: TahirS
That seems a great feature for the RS but doesn't apply to the S. B8s have a redline around 7K and B8.5s are reduced to about 6.25K.
So you get full revs from cold?

My M3 was reduced when cold too, it must be down to the high performance engines and the tight tolerances.

Yes, but in my case, I don't use them until it's well warmed up. I don't go by the water temp gauge, as I remember from my old B5 2.8Q that the oil temp gauge took a good five to seven minutes longer to get up to running temp. So, for the first fifteen minutes of any drive, I treat the throttle pedal like it's an unboiled egg.

Let it get to temp from picking it up from the dealers, kept in mind that the brakes and tyres were also needing bedding in / scrubbed off so chose my stretch of road with care then let rip - not fully red lined but I wasn't afraid to explore the rev range. There is a very small window of opportunity to let the fine file like surface of the cylinder walls bed the rings in before they gum up. The more pressure (effectively revs) pushing the rings against the walls in that window leads to a tighter seal.

First service today and its the first drop of oil the car has seen since new.

I think so, but that's based on the fact that I haven't noticed any restriction rather than checking it out. I used to do with my B5 S4 what Jeff does with his B8, but that's because the B5 had turbos with oil bearings. Unless someone more knowledgeable can advise me otherwise I don't think the B8 needs any such warming up and can be fully revved from cold. I may not do so from literally cold but I don't bother waiting for any gauges to reach any particular settings.

When does your RS allow full revs - is there a specific temperature? Does the DIS give you a message "Audi allows you to drive your car how you want now"?

Yes, but in my case, I don't use them until it's well warmed up. I don't go by the water temp gauge, as I remember from my old B5 2.8Q that the oil temp gauge took a good five to seven minutes longer to get up to running temp. So, for the first fifteen minutes of any drive, I treat the throttle pedal like it's an unboiled egg.
Jeff, are you aware that you can enable an oil temperature gauge in the DIS?

There is a very small window of opportunity to let the fine file like surface of the cylinder walls bed the rings in before they gum up.
I actually think that I missed that window on mine since it had 20 miles on it when I collected it from the dealer. However that didn't stop me doing my 'piston ring bedding' runs anyway. I've done 2K now and no oil drop yet.

I think so, but that's based on the fact that I haven't noticed any restriction rather than checking it out. I used to do with my B5 S4 what Jeff does with his B8, but that's because the B5 had turbos with oil bearings. Unless someone more knowledgeable can advise me otherwise I don't think the B8 needs any such warming up and can be fully revved from cold. I may not do so from literally cold but I don't bother waiting for any gauges to reach any particular settings.

When does your RS allow full revs - is there a specific temperature? Does the DIS give you a message "Audi allows you to drive your car how you want now"?

Yes, will get round to it one day. :)

@Dippy - How ?
thscratchhead_4.gif

Sat round the back of the dealers playing with buttons etc. and let it warm up, then drove it fairly hard (30 miles)
Mine had 8 miles on it at pick up and there is approx. 20 miles to bed the piston bore honing and rings in which need full torque and reasonable RPM......apparently :)
6K on, and the oil level has just dropped one notch from full. Happy with that.

@StuBill your oil story is the best I ever heard I think mine does around a litre for a thousand miles...

Full revs are allowed once full operational temprature is reached, i believe about the 90 degree mark.

It will appear at the top of the lap timer I believe

A true S-car enthusiast has VCDS :gun2:

(where's the 'flame' smiley?)