***** RTR ***** (REPORT THE RATTLE)

strange how I called my dealership (northampton ) the first time and they took my car in and put the clip in to 'fix' the rattle.

the clip fell off some how and the rattle came back and took the car in for its first service and then they decided to replace the turbo under warranty and fixed the problem completely.

Didn't complain, didn't make much noise and did what i asked them to and all went well.

Don't know why they are giving you such a hard time.

Reactions: David83S3
strange how I called my dealership (northampton ) the first time and they took my car in and put the clip in to 'fix' the rattle.

the clip fell off some how and the rattle came back and took the car in for its first service and then they decided to replace the turbo under warranty and fixed the problem completely.

Didn't complain, didn't make much noise and did what i asked them to and all went well.

When did they do this work please? I guess they might have realised that changing everyone's turbo's who have the rattle would be rather expensive.

When did they do this work please? I guess they might have realised that changing everyone's turbo's who have the rattle would be rather expensive.
I think it was back in October of last year when they carried out the work. Need to check my paper work.

What model A3 do you have and which engine?

Its a new thread called MASS COMPLAINT - ENGINE RATTLE
Hi Dave

Maybe worth adding a link in this thread for the lazy ones who only monitor their 'unread watched threads'...?

Its a MY13 Sportback 1.4 (Non-Cod)
Few days ago I've just only noticed a small rattle (I thnk). I had my windows down, in 2nd gear revving between 1500-2000 rpm and a short sound. Not sure if that's the sound everyone is hearing.

Yeah you'll hear it more when your in a quiet area. It comes about in a number of engines and when you have the window down and listen out when your pulling off it, you'll hear it.

just noticed this on my s3. 15 plate

Can we get someone to email them complaining they don't have the rattle so have a 'fault' just to see their response. I also have this rattle s3 63plate.

Hello

I've had this problem since buying my Audi S3 Saloon S-Tronic this year. It's a brand new car with about 2000 miles.

The rasping / rattling turbo waste gate has been acknowledged by 2 Audi centres and I've also had 2 Audi technicians sit in the car with me and comment on the noise. I've complained no end to Audi, and basically they don't give a s**t that this is annoying customers. This is part of a message they sent to me after about 3 letters of compliant:

"Having discussed the technical bulletin with our Technical Support Team, I can confirm that the waste-gate flap and rods on the
turbo charger start to vibrate due to exhaust gas pulsations. These vibrations cause the noises. The function of the boost
pressure control is not affected. The vibration related noise is normal and operational. It is within the tolerance and not
detrimental to the vehicle’s performance. Our Technical Support Team has confirmed that currently there is no plan for any
production change regarding this.
I can confirm that neither of the Audi Centres has found any fault or manufacturing defect on your vehicle. They have concluded
that your vehicle is working as normal. Hence, no further investigation is required on this matter."

An absolutely appalling response from Audi customer service to another dissatisfied Audi customer. This rattling problem exists and is causing distress and displeasure to those who have the issue, therefore Audi should spend a penny and design a simple fix for it!

Not happy. Will be progressing my claim further. Spread the word on social media, they love that too.

I'm wondering though how Audi can claim this is a "characteristic" as to my way of thinking a "characteristic" means they all do it (or don't as the case may be). Mine didn't start rattling until about 8K miles, so how can that be a characteristic, should it not have done it since day 1?

My real concern is when I come to sell my S3 and if the turbo is rattling (as my turbo did fail and was replaced under warranty). If selling private, I'll bet any private buyer coming who drove the car would think there is something wrong - I can just imagine his/her face when I say "oh that's ok, it's a characteristic" -would you believe someone? Or would a dealer give you the sharp intake of breath when you query the trade in price, and you say "But you told me that's a characteristic!" - especially if outside warranty.

If nothing else, my S3 WILL be sold prior to warranty expiring, the cost of a new/replacement turbo is not even worth considering should it subsequently fail outside warranty.

I suppose one has to accept that they are mass produced cars, and some people will therefore have issues - but I'm finding it hard to see how they can ignore it. I suppose that as the rattle isn't dangerous, or causing engines to fail, then in their opinion, it's not regarded as an issue, as to replace turbo's across all S3's in a recall would cost them millions - it's not a quick bolt off/bolt on job.

The real concern though is that new owners are getting the issue, it's not "confined" to some of the earlier models, so even if they do replace your turbo under warranty - what's to say that the rattle won't start all over again, as clearly they are using the same turbos, and it's not a manufacturing fault with a particular batch.

Reactions: Blackwhite
Another miserable response from Audi:

"I am sorry to learn of your adverse comments regarding a noise on your Audi S3 and that this has caused annoyance to you.
Considerable market research is completed during the design of any vehicle and it is always helpful to receive feedback, as
customer acceptance is crucial to the success of our products.

Whilst I appreciate your wish that the vibration related operational noise on your Audi S3 should be controlled, I can confirm
that our manufacturer has no plans to implement any amendment for the design of the waste gate flap and the turbocharger.

It is always sad to learn when a customer is not completely satisfied with their car, but I do hope the many other positive
aspects of this fantastic model will allow you to continue enjoying your vehicle to its full potential."

Not a rattle as such..... but just as B%^&ing annoying! The rear wiper on my 3 door vibrates like mad when its on and there appears to be no adjustment for the angle of the blade....... Unless someone knows more than me?

Hi any updates from people ?? Mines is in at audi the now for this guy went test drive with me and said he couldn't hear it when I was sitting in the seat and could ! Then get a phone call and said there's no noise I then asked him to check bulletin 202.... And before I even finished it he starting saying it word for word it's like he knew it off by heart I pick the car up tomorrow so I'll see how it goes but it's not looking good he also said I have a newer engine and it's from the earlier models? I smell pishhh :)..

Be good to hear from any one who's got some where or has Tryed to reject the car in order for them to listen

****UPDATE (FINAL)****

I was keeping this quiet until the work was done .......Audi replaced my Turbo ........and ...

......it still has the rattle. :scared2:

One thing I noticed ........in the weeks running up to getting it replaced I didn't talk about it on here and didn't really think about it..... and I have to say that I feel I have enjoyed my car soooooooo much more over this period! I have been going out for drives and wasting a tank of fuel just for fun :rockwoot: ......This car is just incredible!! (Rattle or no rattle)

I think I have done a u-turn on this now and will be enjoying this absolutely amazing machine rather than ruin the experience over a minor fault.

I would suggest that others do the same as Audi clearly ain't budging on the subject (I have made as much noise as I can on the subject) .....So its really up to you whether you want to continue the fight or sit back and ENJOY THE DRIVE in your amazing new Car!!!!!!!!!!!

:blackrs4::nogarors4::redrs4::yellowrs4::greyrs4:

Thanks to all for your efforts on this ....it has been fun :friends: ....:yes:

I too am enjoying my car and not worrying about the rattle. I can't believe you went through all of that, managed to get a new turbo and it still has the rattle!!!

Yes ...... Some might think it a waste of time LOL :whistle2: But I am glad I tried and now I am happy :racer:

Few days ago I've just only noticed a small rattle (I thnk). I had my windows down, in 2nd gear revving between 1500-2000 rpm and a short sound. Not sure if that's the sound everyone is hearing.
Doubtful, nobody has reported the same rattle with the1.4 cod, you might be hearing something else. If yours is the 122ps engine then this was subject to a recall to have a clip fitted, cars after a certain build date automatically had the modification applied at the factory. I think yours falls into that group...

****UPDATE (FINAL)****

I was keeping this quiet until the work was done .......Audi replaced my Turbo ........and ...

......it still has the rattle. :scared2:

One thing I noticed ........in the weeks running up to getting it replaced I didn't talk about it on here and didn't really think about it..... and I have to say that I feel I have enjoyed my car soooooooo much more over this period! I have been going out for drives and wasting a tank of fuel just for fun :rockwoot: ......This car is just incredible!! (Rattle or no rattle)

I think I have done a u-turn on this now and will be enjoying this absolutely amazing machine rather than ruin the experience over a minor fault.

I would suggest that others do the same as Audi clearly ain't budging on the subject (I have made as much noise as I can on the subject) .....So its really up to you whether you want to continue the fight or sit back and ENJOY THE DRIVE in your amazing new Car!!!!!!!!!!!

:blackrs4::nogarors4::redrs4::yellowrs4::greyrs4:

Thanks to all for your efforts on this ....it has been fun :friends: ....:yes:

I gave up on Audi when I received the nonsense reply, and I too have just put it to one side and am enjoying the car...

Just had my 1st service and I reported that there was a rattle. On collection they told me they've replaced a clip on the turbo. So far no complaints... :smiley:

Just had my 1st service and I reported that there was a rattle. On collection they told me they've replaced a clip on the turbo. So far no complaints... :smiley:

By any chance is the part number of this clip on your service report/receipt? Please share!

By any chance is the part number of this clip on your service report/receipt? Please share!

IMG 2528

Ahh you have the 1.4 tfsi. Glad yours is sorted mate! Still no solution for us S3 owners then :(

So I'm seeing this thread for the first time and I've never heard of this issue before. My S3 is a MY2015 and was built in 01/2015 and has the latest 722H turbo revision. There is absolutely no rattle, not even slight noise that anybody could think is a rattle. I've spoken to other S3 owners with 2014 models here in South Africa and nobody has mentioned any rattle. Either Audi fixed the issue in their own production or their is something loose causing a rattle.

Anyone with a FL S3 got the wastegate rattle? I think I saw someone mention it in the FL A3/S3 photo section. I'm looking at ordering a FL S3 but am pretty keen not too have a repeat of my MK7 Golf R rattle!