RS3 Saloon Vbox Figures (0-60/100mph)

Leo-RS

Reaction score
Vbox was strapped to the car earlier this morning for a 0-100mph test on my usual stretch of private runway.

Car and conditions

Brand new car with only 175m covered so far. Temperature was a lowly 1.5c.

3F1D4249 E0DF 4477 8827 2BB0F69F53FB

I tried my best to warm up the tyres but even after 12 miles of warm ups they had only risen 10-15c above ambient temps. Front right will always have the warmest tyre as it has my 85kg carcass over it.

Fair to say, not ideal conditions for a 0-xxx mph launch. Ideally the ambient temp needs to be between 12-18c, and all tyres at 25-30c+, the warmer the better. Pressures are not great either, at the dragstrip I'd be looking to keep them between 28-32psi so they are way higher.

Vbox display screen (1ft rollout OFF)...

8B3DEBED EE25 4080 959D 6088B2129E20

Exact breakdown in Performance Tools...

C93E5CA0 2BCE 4F90 BBA4 96BF7BF03CC9

This chart shows the exact breakdown to the 1/00th as 3.76 to 60mph and 8.76 to 100mph.

It is extremely difficult if not impossible to find a stretch of road/runway that offers a 0% gradient so it is very important to also plot height in any vbox display charts. In the run above, I am at a starting height of 63.3m and a finishing height of 61.2m so over the 240 metres covered to reach 100mph, it drops 2m in height. (2.1m/240m x 100 = 0.87% gradient) - This is well within acceptable limits. Some forum leaderboards use a 3% limit (GTR forums) Racelogic themselves use a 2% limit and some even push for a 1% limit, my run above falls within all acceptable ranges.

You can see from the attached chart that the vbox display graph starts at 0mph. This is the indication you need to determine whether 1ft rollout is switched on or off in the menus. If 1ft rollout was selected on, the graph would start at 4-5mph, not 0mph. A lot of people 'cheat' with this feature so it's something to watch out for when people post vbox charts online.

Performance tools as plotted above is the primary Racelogic verification tool to use for acceleration figures. However, there is a 3rd party application called vbox verify (Not racelogic endorsed) that takes the vbox file and applies an algorithm to determine what the run would be if the gradient was 0%. It's a useful tool and compensates and standardises each run for comparison purposes.

When uploading the file to the vbox verify website, the figures come in a little slower at....

0-60mph = 3.85secs
0-100mph = 8.86secs

E65CC906 F9C3 45F9 9CDA 9EC2C6FB9259

90950617 EAA0 4AB8 A2DE 8312264D2E7B 90950617 EAA0 4AB8 A2DE 8312264D2E7B

Just for information, look at the difference the 1 foot rollout is making to the runs. There's 4/10 of a second difference improvement with it switched on. This is quite high as the usual difference with it being on would normally show a 0.2-0.3secs improvement but at 0.4s as above, this shows that I had quite a bit of wheelspin off the line (1 foot rollout = First foot not measured )

Forget the 1/4 time displayed above, I was off the throttle by the time 402m had elapsed (91mph)

Overall, a little bit of a disappointment with the 0-60 figure, I was expecting a solid 3.5 or 3.6 but considering the conditions and the limited mileage, I can't be too harsh. There was a little slip and there was a little torque steer and I'm in no doubts with more favourable launching conditions and more running in, the car will do a 3.5 or a 3.6 no problems.

I was pleased to see 0-100mph in under 9secs though and 8.8secs with a poor launch and 175m on the clock is a great starting point.

Will give it another go in a couple of weeks when the car has some more miles in it and hopefully in slightly warmer conditions too.

Tuning wise, probably not until after Christmas now, there really isn't much out there for these new engines yet.

Attachments

• A41C52D3-C003-4B19-8B70-FEC11366AF54.jpeg
    A41C52D3-C003-4B19-8B70-FEC11366AF54.jpeg
    176.1 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Reactions: drgav2005, EdmundVR4, RS-jay and 8 others
Would you say these times would be improved once the engine has abit more miles on it ?

Still great figures considering this is a 4 door hatchback!
It's a lot faster then most of my dream cars throughout my life. Amazing really.

Countering the temperature on grip, the colder conditions help the turbo and air density a lot.

Reactions: Radman and Leo-RS
Generally speaking, yes, there should be a small improvement by the time the car has 1k miles on the clock and then possibly another when there's 10k on the clock, the engine and drivetrain does loosen up with mileage.

There will be an improvement if I run it in better conditions now aswell. Sort the tyre pressures and tyre temps and run a little bit warmer ambient, this car will chop another couple of tenths off the 100, now.

Still great figures considering this is a 4 door hatchback!
It's a lot faster then most of my dream cars throughout my life. Amazing really.

Countering the temperature on grip, the colder conditions help the turbo and air density a lot.

Yes, for sure, the turbo with a 1c ambient will be enjoying itself :laughing:

However, for a single run and launch to 100, I'd much rather the advantage of increased grip. That 60 and thus the 100 will improve by a tenth or 2.

1c ambient air would be great for a prolonged or repeated runs tho. Trying my best to limit that at the moment until it's run in properly.

Very impressive Leo - thank you for sharing.

That makes RS3 quite a bit quicker than M4 to 60 and only fractionally slower to 100, not bad for a car in the class below.

That makes RS3 quite a bit quicker than M4 to 60 and only fractionally slower to 100, not bad for a car in the class below.

BMW M4 wont be hitting that 8.5 to 100 this time of year but it might do it in around June or July time next year though ;)

Great time all things considered. Car must be very tight at such low miles. Try it again at 5k or so and will be better imho. Perhaps a dry day too eg less greasy.

TX.

Reactions: Leo-RS
0-60 isn't all that, where is the video of the supposed stock facelift car annihilating the pre facelift car??? :blow:

0-60 isn't all that, where is the video of the supposed stock facelift car annihilating the pre facelift car??? :blow:

No supposed about it, a friend of mine who had a loan of the FL sedan from the dealer, the PFL car is his own. Both definitely stock, comment on the YT vid to ask the owner if there's any doubts. With regards to the video above, the facelift car is only about a car length in front by the time 60mph has elapsed (car shifting into 3rd)

Vbox figures are hard to quantify as many people quote their 0-60's as the figures with 1ft rollout on. In that case, looking at my own, my car did it in 3.44 secs with it on and that was in less than favourable conditions. You need to compare apples against apples.

I'll try the 0-100 figures again as soon as the weather warms up and dries out a little, it's definitely got more grip to give off launch. Not ideal this time of year.

When do you get your TTRS Aoon? (Performance edition?, that’s only assigned to the 6 and the 7’s)

Look what you can achieve after a map...mental

Sooooo in the first Ariel shot the car has no pan roof then in the next it suddenly has one :blink:

8.4secs 100-200mph is definitely no joke not a fan of cars showing off their 0-60mph times. True power of a car shows after 60mph in my opinion.

^ car has a pan roof in all the aerial shots?

Golf R vs Audi RS3 saloon drag race with timings. The result is a foregone conclusion, but maybe someone like Leo could comment on the timings?

Closer than I would have thought. Come up against someone in an R that’s been mapped, nothing in it I bet, why need to map the RS ha

Those times are about half a second down for both cars on what they should be I reckon. Probably to do with the temperature, altitude, fuel quality on South Africa perhaps? It's a big gap between the two, though, over such a short distance.

Those times are about half a second down for both cars on what they should be I reckon. Probably to do with the temperature, altitude, fuel quality on South Africa perhaps? It's a big gap between the two, though, over such a short distance.

Yup, got it in 1. Fuel quality and elevation are big annoyances in the South African drag strip scene.

In addition, the race wasn't carried out at a dedicated 1/4m drag strip (was on a straight on a race track) and the fact he only managed a 4.1 0-100kmh tells me that he never selected 1 foot rollout (Which is definitely required for a 1/4m time) - Had he selected this, there would be a good 2-3 tenths off those times.

The gap was as big as expected for such a short distance as you say. Keep that race going beyond 1km/1m etc and the RS3 will have fuc*ed off right into the distance until it hit its speed limiter.

By all accounts the new cars are managing 11.7-12.0 no problems, quite a few owners in the states have tested them on dragstrips. The US cars all have the heavy pano roofs too.

Just for reference...

EDE3A29B 8943 47C3 A4D2 3D59F942AA81

Recent Evo group test results.

We all knew the 3 was quicker than the 5 now anyway, didn’t we :whistle2:

Reactions: AudiNutta and DW81
Rapid yes, boring too though imho re the current version. Not something that can be levelled at the RS3 thank goodness.

TX.

Reactions: DW81
Big disappointment TX yes, would have been a hit at around 525hp although I do wonder how tuneable these new 2.9t engines will be.

They probably left that open for performance versions, similar to RS6 performance.

Closer than I would have thought. Come up against someone in an R that’s been mapped, nothing in it I bet, why need to map the RS ha
Mine MK7 R was Revo 3 480hp/570nm

0-62mph 3.2 sec
62-124mph 7.6 sec

1/4 mile 10.9 sec

I hope RS3 stage 2 will be faster

Last edited:
Reactions: FBF01
Mine MK7 R was Revo 3 480hp/570nm

0-62mph 3.2 sec
62-124mph 7.6 sec

1/4 mile 10.9 sec

I hope RS3 stage 2 will be faster

Very quick for the stated power. Dragstrip or vbox? Timeslips? Weight of your car? What country did you do this in and what fuel?

Excellent figures, well done.

RS3's are doing 11.1 at the moment on Stage 1 (93 US octane / 98 UK) - These will be about 480hp.

There can not be much more room to improve on the R’s engine with those kind of figures, or is there still abit more left to play with in the sense of hp and nm gains?

Very quick for the stated power. Dragstrip or vbox? Timeslips? Weight of your car? What country did you do this in and what fuel?

Excellent figures, well done.

RS3's are doing 11.1 at the moment on Stage 1 (93 US octane / 98 UK) - These will be about 480hp.

Here it is , cant find dnb file here it says 0-100kmh 3.3 sec 100-200kmh 7.4 sec , with correction was 7.6

CROATIA 98 Ron

17434646 1390003244353467 924810812960898661 o
19620183 1238321069628592 8826682712899449166 o
17389091 1388288757858249 4175031287922545328 o

My pic from UK :D

Reactions: JamesCrs3, Beebee-one, FBF01 and 2 others
#proventhedoubterswrong!

Well done.

Reactions: FBF01
A well sorted Golf R can be very fast, I have seen some good stage 2 cars running mid-eleven second runs at Santa Pod earlier this year.

Here's a vid of an interesting modded Golf R belonging to Dave Lee. He has done some crazy fast Golfs recently and this one is his recent project with a transplanted RS 2.5tfsi under the bonnet.

Reactions: T-800
Where do people get spare RS3 engines from?! Fair play though that is some project.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Where do people get spare RS3 engines from?! Fair play though that is some project.

TX.

You know all the RS3's that are stolen...!

Reactions: T-800 and Terminator x

TX.

In a few months there will be glut of Aluminium engines available..... where owners have swapped them because they want more noise

Reactions: D0C, DW81 and Terminator x