Facelift RS3 Genuine Secondary Cat Bypass Pipes

Yes, you're right.
I should've written: Both cars are loud compared to an A3.

Happy then to be one of the 1% here that prefer the deeper tone of the new one :relaxed:

Deeper lol?

What are those 2 "boxes" near the back of the car though? Perhaps they have just moved location as mine were more towards the middle of the car eg PFL.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Bullet silencers

What are those 2 "boxes" near the back of the car though? Perhaps they have just moved location as mine were more towards the middle of the car eg PFL.

TX.

Resonators, also on your car.

Bullet silencers

Just the man.... I once had someone tell me they are 'anti-drone silencers'. Do you know if there is any drone without them? Otherwise I will be getting those taken out first, then the secondary cats I think.

A friend has removed them on his pre fl 8V, not something I would do personally as I did find it a bit droney. The stock catback is surprisingly drone free even with cast manifold/bigger turbo and all cats deleted

Reactions: AudiNutta
This guy took out the Secondary Cats. I think he has the standard exhaust though, not the sports exhaust.

Love his comments on the PFL exhaust around 1:20..."it sounded like a shotgun or 9mm being fired off..."!

Confirmed though, the pops and crackles are gone on the FL...disappointing.

Wow - In response to peoples disappointment with the exhaust note Audi have had some engineers in at the weekend trying to work on a fix and no doubt a recall will be issued on the vehicles already delivered. Please jump to about one minute in to see where they found the sweet spot:

:rockwoot::rock: :footy:

Wow - In response to peoples disappointment with the exhaust note Audi have had some engineers in at the weekend trying to work on a fix and no doubt a recall will be issued on the vehicles already delivered. Please jump to about one minute in to see where they found the sweet spot:

:rockwoot::rock: :footy:

What credible evidence do you have of this? I passed on very negative comments to the design team through Audi UK.

That doesn't look like a professional outlet.....

720hp? Looks more like a racing team testing an engine rather than Audi looking for a fix :lmfao:

He is taking the **** imho. TTRS does sound better so perhaps engineered different to the RS3 to keep them apart?

TX.

Lol, @AudiNutta he is kidding around! I can't believe you thought that was real! :haha:

I kept going between hope and disappointment that he would tease me like that :lmfao:

I'm waiting patiently for the day somebody tells us what we have to do to fix these damn cars :crying:

This is probably going to throw a spanner in the works but here goes! I drove a new uk spec RS3 today as i carried out the pdi. I can confirm 100% that the sports exhaust on fl has no pops and bangs and sounds quieter than a pfl without a sports exhaust! And also does not have pre cats fitted! See pics below! However it drives soooo much better than the the pfl just without as much noise :/ Also sorry for poor pics as ot supposed to have phones in workshop! Also i am looking to upgrade to a RS3 so i am not hating in anyway just thought you guys should know!
IMG 3672
IMG 3671
IMG 3670
IMG 3669

Reactions: Terminator x and dunes7
This is probably going to throw a spanner in the works but here goes! I drove a new uk spec RS3 today as i carried out the pdi. I can confirm 100% that the sports exhaust on fl has no pops and bangs and sounds quieter than a pfl without a sports exhaust! And also does not have pre cats fitted! See pics below! However it drives soooo much better than the the pfl just without as much noise :/ Also sorry for poor pics as ot supposed to have phones in workshop! Also i am looking to upgrade to a RS3 so i am not hating in anyway just thought you guys should know!View attachment 134276 View attachment 134275 View attachment 134274 View attachment 134273
As in it's quieter than even a non sports exhaust'd PFL?!

That might have just made my mind up to keep mine and get it mapped instead.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm happy with that report, don't want to upset my neighbours when I take the missus to the station early mornings :cheerful:

If I read the above correctly the FL is quiter than even the non sports exhaust PFL - some on here are going to be reaching for the bottle........

Reactions: Aoon_M, Terminator x and AudiNutta
As in it's quieter than even a non sports exhaust'd PFL?!

Unfortunately yes! I'm looking to upgrade from the S1 to RS3 was going to pull the trigger on a new one even had and allocation until i drove it today and now i'm looking for a low milage pre facelift. If you've never drove or been in a RS3 you'll love it. It handles better and has a better overall balance and feel and the upgradeed tech. But if you've got a pfl RS3 and love the noise and are not bothered by the tech i wouldn't bother changing!

Reactions: Terminator x and D0C
Unfortunately yes! I'm looking to upgrade from the S1 to RS3 was going to pull the trigger on a new one even had and allocation until i drove it today and now i'm looking for a low milage pre facelift. If you've never drove or been in a RS3 you'll love it. It handles better and has a better overall balance and feel and the upgradeed tech. But if you've got a pfl RS3 and love the noise and are not bothered by the tech i wouldn't bother changing!
That's really useful to hear from someone who has been in both and worked on them. I'm pretty certain I'll keep mine now. It's a low mileage 16 plate that has everything on it but the pano roof, which was one of the reasons I was considering a FL.

Last edited:
That's really useful to hear from someone who has been in both and worked on them. I'm not pretty certain I'll keep mine now. It's a low mileage 16 plate that has everything on it but the pano roof, which was one of the reasons I was considering a FL.

That's funny because pan roof is one of the only things I wouldn't spec along with advanced key. Only 2 things I didn't spec on my S1 haha. But that's just down to personal preference. Main reason for not liking advanced key is that in both a1-a3 you still get standard flip key and also easier to steal! Seen plenty of stolen recovereds to prove it :/

That's funny because pan roof is one of the only things I wouldn't spec along with advanced key. Only 2 things I didn't spec on my S1 haha. But that's just down to personal preference. Main reason for not liking advanced key is that in both a1-a3 you still get standard flip key and also easier to steal! Seen plenty of stolen recovereds to prove it :/
Yes, mine doesn't have the advanced key either. Having had a car stolen, I'm glad! Sounds like mine is the perfect car for you ;)

Yes, mine doesn't have the advanced key either. Having had a car stolen, I'm glad! Sounds like mine is the perfect car for you ;)

Yeah it's not nice. Had my house broken into back in April to steal keys for mine however i had mine and my girlfriends keys upstairs with us. God knows why they never came upstairs! Yeah sounds like it. I'll probably upset more people here by saying i want a cataluna red one. Everyone seems to hate the orangey tone to it but i really like it lol

This is probably going to throw a spanner in the works but here goes! I drove a new uk spec RS3 today as i carried out the pdi. I can confirm 100% that the sports exhaust on fl has no pops and bangs and sounds quieter than a pfl without a sports exhaust! And also does not have pre cats fitted! See pics below! However it drives soooo much better than the the pfl just without as much noise :/ Also sorry for poor pics as ot supposed to have phones in workshop! Also i am looking to upgrade to a RS3 so i am not hating in anyway just thought you guys should know!View attachment 134276 View attachment 134275 View attachment 134274 View attachment 134273

Wow that's disappointing! How come it doesn't have the cats do you know? I thought all was pointing to them having it.

Can see me going for an aftermarket exhaust. If I did and left the primary cat in, would I lose the engine warranty?

EDIT: :blownose::blownose: Gutted

@Tony-c- good to get some inside knowledge! What has happened to the secondary cats then?

TX.

@Tony-c- good to get some inside knowledge! What has happened to the secondary cats then?

TX.

Maybe Audi realised the level of their colossal f*** up without them in anyway!!! What the hell were they thinking

Hello straight piped FL RS3's haha

Can see me going for an aftermarket exhaust. If I did and left the primary cat in, would I lose the engine warranty?

Yes, warranty would be void! Especially if a £10k engine was on the line.

Wow that's disappointing! How come it doesn't have the cats do you know? I thought all was pointing to them having it.

Don't know why they are not there. Could be they are not needed for emissions on new engine or it's because its the sports exhaust. It's the first pfl one we have had in the dealership so I don't have anything to compare it too. As for aftermarket exhaust if you go for a cat back it won't affect warranty in anyway. You can actually buy a akrapovic exhaust through uk parts/accessories for RS6/7!

Only warranty you would loose would be exhaust.

Reactions: Terminator x and AudiNutta
Don't know why they are not there. Could be they are not needed for emissions on new engine or it's because its the sports exhaust. It's the first pfl one we have had in the dealership so I don't have anything to compare it too. As for aftermarket exhaust if you go for a cat back it won't affect warranty in anyway. You can actually buy a akrapovic exhaust through uk parts/accessories for RS6/7!

Sorry @Tony-c- I'm guessing you meant FL?

I'm getting quite flustered about all of this now, struggling to choose wheels and knocking off other options to try and get the wheels on in budget as I've gone with the standard.

I thought the cat back would be fine. The noise reducing has to be done in the backbox / bullet silencers? Wouldn't have thought it is built into the cat? Seems that Miltek catback exhausts are pretty reasonable, just have to wait for new ones to come out.

Yes, warranty would be void! Especially if a £10k engine was on the line.

See response below your post, it will be fine apparently. The issue with playing with exhausts is the primary cat removal. If you leave the cat in, it won't affect the engine.

See response below your post, it will be fine apparently. The issue with playing with exhausts is the primary cat removal. If you leave the cat in, it won't affect the engine.
Honestly I think you're worrying too much anyway. Relax, enjoy the car. It will be mega.

Reactions: AudiNutta and Tony-c-
Honestly I think you're worrying too much anyway. Relax, enjoy the car. It will be mega.

Agreed it's an amazing car and doesn't sound bad. I'm sure someone will sort out the sound with ether exhaust/software! Plenty of S1's out there popping and banging lol

Reactions: AudiNutta
Yeah sorry first face lift. Had loads of pfl cars in lol
What's your opinion on the looks between PFL and FL? I'm undecided on the new front end, I think I prefer the lights of the PFL but need to see one in the flesh. The rear end is virtually identical although I prefer the FL rear light clusters!

If the FL has no secondary cats why would you decat the back eg it already has none! In the PFL we had them so worth removing them.

TX.

What's your opinion on the looks between PFL and FL? I'm undecided on the new front end, I think I prefer the lights of the PFL but need to see one in the flesh. The rear end is virtually identical although I prefer the FL rear light clusters!

For me personally i like both. But it's a split decision for me as there is pros and cons to both for me. Such as dynamic indicators and matrix led on fl pro. Con RS badges on seats, floor mats and steering wheel where pfl had RS3 badges. Pfl pro and this will split opinions no virtual cockpit! I personally just want gauges to be just that gauges! Nothing more! Pfl con mmi quattro logic system is pants compared to new duel logic system with carplay. And obviously exhaust sounds better on pfl lol

Reactions: Terminator x

My 2p worth - The Matrix LED headlights look better than the non Matrix :)

Reactions: Tony-c-
If the FL has no secondary cats why would you decat the back eg it already has none! In the PFL we had them so worth removing them.

TX.

He means the primary cat in the downpipe. If you remove this it will affect warranty and is obviously illegal.

Reactions: Terminator x and AudiNutta

TX.

I just meant the primary cat, I am glad the UK car's (at least with sports exhaust) seem to not have the secondary cats. I am just thinking of it being warranty safe if you left the one remaining cat in and effectively just replaced the backbox. Anyway I am a long, long way from that as the car's build date is still 11 weeks away. I would down and look at the exhausts between the standard and sports in my local centres cars, but I think I would get funny looks and I can't see them being happy with it.

The S3 will be going several weeks before the RS arrives, I am sure it will seem very loud to me when I get my hands on it.