Rods

The general opinion is that as the stock rods are rifle drilled the replacement rods should be too, forged or not.
I recall tuffty mentioned something about a small end knock if the replacement rods are not rifle drilled.

Maxspeeding rods don’t have good feed back if you google them, there that cheap compared to other rods for a reason

My fake K04 turbo is branded as "maxspeedingrods" and it's awful regarding quality assurance - but it was only £100 so I suppose it is expected to be poor, but you really wouldn't want to risk the inside of your engine - a turbo you can change without spending 1000s on labour.

My tuppence worth...

Generally speaking non drilled rods lead to rattling small ends especially when used with the original pins... there are some people that have alleged to have used non drilled rods on new builds with new pins etc and not had 'an issue' however I suspect there is a degree of subjectivity there...

VAG 20vt rods are drilled.. they are drilled for a reason and I would imagine its because splash lube on the pin was not enough... I personally would not entertain using non drilled rods on a 20vt having done so myself and experiencing small end wear along with other issues too

There are cheap drilled rods out there but you have to watch out as generally all they do is 'drill' non drilled rods... this is not to say that the rod itself is an issue but generally the small end is as the bearing is drilled and grooved for splash lube meaning that there could be a drop in oil pressure as a result so if you find cheap drilled rods I would suggest checking the small end bush to be sure its ok

<tuffty/>

https://badger5.co.uk/engine-parts/...rifle-drilled-rods-1-non-rifle-drilled-h-beam

Forgive me if I’m wrong but these are non drilled and badger 5 are obviously happy to sell customers these items so I guess they can’t be that bad. Understand why you would go down drilled route, but like me and tight budget applies, non drilled options are more suited.

A lot of shops stock some items they wouldn't necessarily recommend as the best option, but if enough customers demand a cheaper non drilled rod, then I understand why Bill would stock a decent quality cheaper alternative. I'm speculating, but I imagine they've most likely got much better bushing tolerances than the Maxspeeding tosh, read some scary measurements out of the box on these. It may not be the best option, but it's better than the cheapest of the cheap...