RNS-E with Bose + Dension Gateway + VCDS Problem

markhaines

Reaction score
Hi, I'm after some help with a problem that's driving me nuts:

TL;DR - I can't scan my RNS-E with VCDS with Dension Gateway Bluetooth unit installed and the bass is really boomy leading me to think the Bose pin is in the wrong place.

The longer version...
2007 Audi A4 Cab with Bose, MFSW, Audi bluetooth phone kit. Originally had a BNS 5.0 (or RNS-Low) headunit in with a 6 CD changer in the glove. Replaced it with an RNS-E unit from an A4 of similar age and everything functions correctly - satnav, mfsw, phone etc (didn't even need to do any VCDS re-coding!). Scanned it with VCDS anyway and the RNS-E responds fine. I removed the CD changer at the same time as the BNS 5.0.

I've just bought a Dension Gateway Lite BT (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008KLGWY4/ref=pe_385721_37038051_TE_3p_dp_1) module to use for streaming A2DP bluetooth from iPhone. I used an XCarLink unit that did the same thing with the BNS 5.0 and it worked fine. I bought the RNS-E version of it and tried that but although it worked it randomly used to crash the RNS-E when you changed sources (the original, supposedly BNS5.0 specific XCarLink behaved exactly the same way when connected to RNS-E)

...anyway, I've installed the Dension unit and it works perfectly with iPhone & RNS-E as designed. However, the bass is really boomy and now when I try to scan the RNS-E with VCDS it can't see it. From reading round various forums it seems that this may be due to the Bose pin needing moving on the Quadlock adapter?

The previous XCarLink had a passthru type cable - one end replaced the blue plug in the Quadlock and the original blue plug (that I guess would have gone to the CD changer) plugs into the female part of the cable. The new Dension unit is just a direct replacement for the blue plug in the quadlock adapter.

As I understand it the Bose pin is in the original blue plug which is now not connected to anything. Trying to be clever I moved it from the original blue plug (was in pin 7) to p7 on the dension plug. No joy. I also tried scanning the RNS-E without any blue plug connected - again no response.

Rather than keep dicking around I thought I'd make a plea for help to see if anyone else has been through the same / similar process - the Dension units seem quite popular and even if its not exactly the same module I guess they all work fairly similarly - emulating the CD changer.

Any thoughts, tips or things to try greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Mark

You've unplugged the kline wire for diagnostics which is what allows you to connect with vcds, so if you don't have a passthrough then you need to add the bose & kline to the new connector that the dension maybe using, just look at the top of the rns-e & you will find the pins that need to be moved into there relevant locations.

You've unplugged the kline wire for diagnostics which is what allows you to connect with vcds, so if you don't have a passthrough then you need to add the bose & kline to the new connector that the dension maybe using, just look at the top of the rns-e & you will find the pins that need to be moved into there relevant locations.

That makes sense - thanks for the quick response! I'll have another poke and report back!

Cheers

Last edited:
Ok, so this is where I'm at; I connected the K-Line pin from the original blue connector to the Dension blue connector and rescanned with VCDS - still no joy :-(

The K-Line cable comes originally from the bunch of cables linked to the green connector. I dug back through evernote to find the instructions I used to migrate from BNS to RNS-E in the first place to find out why (Audi B7 S4 DIY: Symphony II+ to RNS-E Installation), on the BNS the K-line is on the green connector. I've done a quick and dirty diagram below to show the pinouts compared. As far as I can see the right pins are in the right place - its doing my head in now!

Presentation1
NOTE: Proper size image at this link so you can actually read it! http://note.io/1jNlD3L