Replacing engine mounts....DIY job?

In the 5th year of ownership and was carrying the P1577 Audi Code - Engine Mounting Control Solenoid Bank 1 Open Circuit soft code since I got her!!!

Febi 36689 (£38 Amazon)
Mount and Shield

Used to replace a worn RH Engine mount on my (B7) 2005 Audi A4 3.0 TDI with the BKN engine code. Previous mount was an electronically controlled one with part number 8EO 199 382 H. I simply cut off the plug from the old mount, reconnected back to loom and cable tied it out of the way. I wasn't prepared to buy an electronic replacement at over £200.

Photo below highlights my cracked old mount with no oil in it what so ever!

Cracked Old Mount

This has fixed a clunking sound on acceleration/braking, high vibration, rough gear selection into Drive and Reverse, and a shimmering drive a low speed.

Cross referring ETKA to Febi Bilstein, I've used mounts designed for a 1.8/2.0 Ltr Petrol with a Manual Transmission. These will therefore easily cope with the smooth V6 with the ZF automatic gearbox.

Note - Febi 105842 is for the LH side however this mount (Febi 36689) will work on both - plus this one comes with the protected head shield!

Sooooooooo...

It's barely been a few months and I'm reporting to say that the Febi Engine Mount has not lasted! Horrible squeaking and unpleasant vibrations coming through the cabin. So I've got a few options which are:
  1. OEM Mounts - Electronically controlled hydro bearings averaging £250 each!
  2. 034 Motorsport - Solid Rubber mounts coming in at £135 each.
  3. B5 RS4 OEM - Hydro bearing mounts (the most rigid) at £134 each - (8DO 199 379 AD).
After extensive research, the 034 Motorsport Mounts have been praised by many as being the best for drivability and vibration control, even over the B5 RS4 OEM.
But due to the nature of the Tiptronic gearbox bolted on to my 3.0 TDI BKN (Revo Mapped), there's a reason why both mounts on this particular setup are electronically controlled and it's simply to deal with the vibrations when the car is in gear and at rest with the foot on the brake. This is where I've noticed the most vibration with the non OEM Febi mount.

All this being said, I've sourced the most up to date OEM mounts from the US at an amazing $99 each! Check the image below for the reduction!!! Just purchased these and I'll let you know how it all goes very soon.

LH - 8E0 199 379 BL (supersedes 8E0 199 379 T)
RH - 8E0 199 382 AF (supersedes 8E0 199 382 H)

Total for both with shipping - $287 (£230) - Less than the cost of one here from the UK.

Genuine Mounts

Reactions: mr_pepps
Sooooooooo...

It's barely been a few months and I'm reporting to say that the Febi Engine Mount has not lasted! Horrible squeaking and unpleasant vibrations coming through the cabin. So I've got a few options which are:
  1. OEM Mounts - Electronically controlled hydro bearings averaging £250 each!
  2. 034 Motorsport - Solid Rubber mounts coming in at £135 each.
  3. B5 RS4 OEM - Hydro bearing mounts (the most rigid) at £134 each - (8DO 199 379 AD).
After extensive research, the 034 Motorsport Mounts have been praised by many as being the best for drivability and vibration control, even over the B5 RS4 OEM.
But due to the nature of the Tiptronic gearbox bolted on to my 3.0 TDI BKN (Revo Mapped), there's a reason why both mounts on this particular setup are electronically controlled and it's simply to deal with the vibrations when the car is in gear and at rest with the foot on the brake. This is where I've noticed the most vibration with the non OEM Febi mount.

All this being said, I've sourced the most up to date OEM mounts from the US at an amazing $99 each! Check the image below for the reduction!!! Just purchased these and I'll let you know how it all goes very soon.

LH - 8E0 199 379 BL (supersedes 8E0 199 379 T)
RH - 8E0 199 382 AF (supersedes 8E0 199 382 H)

Total for both with shipping - $287 (£230) - Less than the cost of one here from the UK.

View attachment 266152
What was the outcome from your overseas purchase?
Did they fit on ok? Still in use?