Replacing an A4 (B7) Concert 2+ with Symphony 2 - a retrograde step..?

AndrewS

Reaction score
Hi all,

I previously had a B6 Avant with Symphony 2 H/U and Bose speaker system and was delighted with the performance. Having been away from the Audi fold for a while, I have just bought a 2007 MY B7 Avant with Concert 2+ (double-DIN, single CD) and Bose and to my ears at least, I don't believe the sound quality is as good as the B6 - specifically clarity of speech from the radio.

Two questions:

1. Are there any differences between the tuner section of the older Concert & Symphony 2 and the newer Concert & Symphony 2+ that might explain the perceived deterioration in sound quality?

2. Does anyone have any experience of retrofitting a Symphony 2 into a car with Quadlock harness (with Bose!)? I can't help but think a generic Quadlock to ISO harness adaptor would need a great deal of modification...

Thanks in anticipation,

Andrew

The antenna system is different yes, but that shouldnt make any difference to reception you would think.

If you fitted the older generation then it would need antenna system adaptions.

It can be done, wiring wise may take bit of time but not impossible, done fair bit of wiring changes similar on some chassis & worked out fine.

I doubt it's anything to do with the HU more likely a difference in the Bose setup

Thanks chaps.

It could be a difference in Bose amp or speakers I suppose, I hadn't really considered that. Some time with familiar CDs should narrow it down.

I've bought a used, late model Symphony 2 and will have a go at plumbing it in - not a huge gamble even if if I ultimately need to sell it on again.

So, a quick update... Having set the GALA on the Concert 2+ to Auto (so that the Bose cabin microphone now controls auto volume increase), I think the sound has improved, but it just be a placebo effect?! I don't know (and in fact doubt) if the Bose system has any sort of built in noise compensation trickery?

Regardless, I've managed to acquire a brand new Symphony 2+ which should be more or less a direct swap for the Concert 2+. I've done this not so much to improve sound, but more because I'm old-fashioned and still have a large pile of CDs! Looking ahead, the Symphony 2+ will undoubtedly need coding for Avant/wagon, MFSW and Bose, but I must confess I don't find the Ross-Tech wiki terribly clear for generation II+ head units. Any pointers in lay terms would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Andrew

Is the concert 2+ HU different if car has Bose to cars without?

No, as its coded to be or not to be :)

How do u code em with vcds?

Login to the module & the helper popup will show the coding for that module, check the ross-tech wiki for coding, but I would follow the helper popup 1st.

Isn't yours already installed anyway, are you trying to verify coding presently?

it was in case i ended up buyin a HU that had come from a car with Bose. Tried lens cleaner not worked. Gonna take stereo out and disconnect over night see if that solves it if not new HU :(

Ahhh, yes I remember now lol, sorry so many similar usernames get confusing.

Reactions: Avnt
Id love the rnse upgrade but at best part of £500 for the unit its really out of my price range. Looking on ebay for the concert 2+ its not to bad