Removing Stretched Tyres

Sheikh

Reaction score
Went to get the tyres removed off my rims today and two tyre places simply could not get the tyre off! 9J rim with 225/35/19's on so not even that big of a stretch!

They even managed to crack the powder coat. So my question is how hard is it to actually remove stretched tyres?

Not hard at all I'd say. I'm running 215/35 on 9J and took the rims to my local garage and they fitted them with ease and no damage caused either. Sounds like where you went they might be a bit special. Saying that I spoke to one tyre place when I was trying to find a good price on tyres. Called down one place I've never used and didn't even know who they were till I drove down a street by mistake lol. The guy did tell me in the 40years he been fitting tyres that there was no such thing as 215/35/19 tyres and they must be made to order and if I ever manage to get them to call down:laugh:

Last edited:
The ***** damaged by wheels and I lost £150 from the sale of the tyres. I'm just gonna get rid of the wheels and cut my losses. Wish I lived near some of you guys!

The ***** damaged by wheels and I lost £150 from the sale of the tyres. I'm just gonna get rid of the wheels and cut my losses. Wish I lived near some of you guys!

That sucks mate, can you get any come back?

my bro had the same problem on tuesday. the person he had the car off before had 225/35/19s fitted and whoever fitted them damaged the bead. when our tyre fitters finally got the tyres off they couldnt believe their eyes!!! the bead had only been filled in with silicone sealer to stop the air escaping!!! Sounds a little dangerous to me!!!!

our tyre fitters did say that they had a real ball ache trying to take these tyres off. so maybe it is quite difficult. another garage we use quite often said that they couldnt get them off.

I was there watching, the guys are pretty good I mean they work on all high performance cars, even seen a McLaren in there before, they put the tyres on for me no problems round the first time. But the tyre just wouldn't stretch over to get it off, might be because pirelli's are known for being quite a hard tyre?

That sucks mate, can you get any come back?

We'll i've agreed to sell the rims with the two tyres fitted to a fella on ED38, he's coming down on saturday. Pretty much just a case of cutting my losses and moving on, although he's getting a a bargain! That and the DVLA number plate auction is coming up :thumbsup:

I find its the combination on very low profile & stiff sidewalls that are the nightmare. I wouldn't touch stretched tyres, our machine isn't designed for them ie extra helper arm etc. Getting them to inflate would be fun too :'(

I find its the combination on very low profile & stiff sidewalls that are the nightmare. I wouldn't touch stretched tyres, our machine isn't designed for them ie extra helper arm etc. Getting them to inflate would be fun too :'(

Getting them on was easy! They just popped on, it was getting them off that was the nightmare :(

If it's because they can't lever it over the outerface, then I would say they need to completely break the inner bead and push the tyre into the middle of the rim, then it should be able to lever it off??