Remap..

audimatt

Reaction score
Hello.. new on here, just bought a B6 1.8 quattro sport..
Just wandering what sort of power figures i'll be looking at after a remap, and can anyone recommend anyone in the Southwest area. Has anyone else remapped theirs? Whats it like compared to before the remap?

Cheers

I think off the top off my head with a set of TT injectors, exhaust around 235bhp but just a remap with out the extras around 220-225bhp

Sounds good..mine is only the 163bhp one though i think; its an early one on a Y/2001. Those figures sound good, although im sure thats quoted for a 190?
Ive been looking on a few websites, but the power quotes always seem to be optomistic; wanted some first hand experience if that makes sense?

I had a 163bhp 1.8T LE (Limited Edition). It was a limited run before they brought out the uprated 190 engine and the S-Line.

I had my 163 remapped using Upsolute software, which took it up to c200bhp. That's all you'll get with the 163 without other mods.

The 190bhp unit as mentioned would get you up to the 240bhp bracket max...

You will probably find that yours is a 150bhp model if it is an early one Y/2001 (eng code AVJ).

I have a 1.8t quattro early 2001 model and I have had a Revo remap and I will say that the difference is very noticeable, but be prepared to pay for more than just the "software remap".

If there is something not running at 100% ie Maff, coil packs, fuel pump, perished vacum pipes etc then you could be spending loads of time and money to get to the bottom of the problem that only arises after a remap.

Most tuning companies will take your money for a quick software upload but then tend not to be interested in, or charge you extra money to diagnose, any subsequent problems after the map has been put on.

I have had issues with my car since a remap and from a lot of diagnosis can conclude that a bigger intercooler is required to keep the charge temps down as the standard one can't cope. The 190bhp a4 has two intercoolers as standard and the 150bhp single intercooler can't cope at approx 200bhp.
An uprated turbo inlet pipe is needed to prevent collapse on full boost and possibly a new fuel pump as these are known to be troublesome and can run an engine lean (they can give correct pressure but not enough flow rate).
The most annoying thing is that I have a engine that pulls stronger on partial throttle than full which some people have said is a characteristic of the engine! ! ! !

Having previously had a honda that never had an issue the audi is far more trying. It is better built and a nicer place to be sat in but the engine issues with mine have nearly led me to sell it on numerous occasions and buy a CTR !

A friend of mine has also recently had an APR map on his 07 Mk5 Golf Ed30 and even that has problems !

So from experience it's not as straight forward as it seems and patience and persiverance is required.

If you want any other advice drop me a pm and I will be happy to expand and give you more details on anything.

Q4, sounds like you know your stuff..
As far as i was aware a remap would be simple, and the engine would cope fine? Is it common to have all these issues relating to a remap? Do you know anyone else thats had problems?
My car is a LE or limited edition according to the original service booklet i have from Audi, so still presuming its 163, its got a factory Votex kit too?
Thanks for your help though, suppose i'll be reconsidering, i'm only 20 and a student, so dont have the time or money to be throwing at it in repair costs!

It'll be fine.
Things like coils go whether it's been remapped or not. Same with MAfs etc...

£400-odd will change your car dramatically...

It'll be fine.
Things like coils go whether it's been remapped or not. Same with MAfs etc...

Quite agree but maps are coded based on every component running at 100% and if one isn't quite right then problems can arrise that wouldn't with the standard map.

For example my remap high lighted the fact that my rear diff was badly worn as under full boost the extra torque would cause it to resonate through the rear of the car. This was not an issue with the standard map.

There can be lots of little problems that will only be high lighted after a map for example worn turbo actuators, n75 valves, recirc valves, intercooler heat soke, plug gaps etc. Dual mass flywheels can also start to break up, this gives problems with the rear knock sensor leading to the ignition timing being falsely retarded.

Post remap the recirc valve will deffinatley need replacing for an uprated after market one as even a new standard plastic TT valve goes week very quickly.

An uprated intercooler is also essential, single intercoolers simply can not cope with a 200bhp remap. Audi would not have put two as standard on the 190Bhp models if one could cope.

Do a search on here or any other VAG site for remap problems it's not uncommon!

Remaps are without a doubt the best value for money upgrade you can buy but you need to be aware of the possible resulting pitfalls.

I am not trying to put anyone off from doing this but simply trying to make people aware of possible further expense that you are not likely to get told at the point of your remap. You may be lucky and not have a single issue.

Good luck and enjoy !

the 150/163bhp will get about 190-200bhp on remap if it's all running up to spec to start...

join everybody at the Chip'N'Spin rolling road day: you'll get a pre-run, remap and post-run, plus a test-drive before you part with any cash (£250).

edit: sorry - on re-reading, that sounded like a shameless plug! Basically, after some stupid mess-ups and mis-diagnised probs on previous cars after blind remaps, I'm a huge fan of getting a rolling road power-run before and after any remap.... and in this case, I'm not getting anything out of it aside from the satisfaction recommending a very decently priced place to get a choice of remaps.

Trying to remember but I think it was £50 just for a dyno run if you want to see what the car's running already: some people were just there for that... and some had to "downgrade" their remap aspitrations to just getting it dyno'd after finding out that they had problems (mostly around sensors) and wouldn't benefit from a remap until those were fixed first.

I'll see when they announce the next dates (late, Aug, I think!) and I might "pop" across (200miles) for a rolling road run if there's gonna be a few of the A-S.net crowd there!

Last edited:
Q4 - I think you'll be very handy for my future mods :beerchug:
We have another "evil Scotsman" who seems to know some real good Info
Whats happened to Evil anyway these days? Wonder what happened to his A4?

Going by what you are saying though Q4 Id say there is probably 9 out of 10 cars that have been map'd that are not running to there full potential then!

I have heard of some of the issues you mentioned especially the Intercooler Issue on the 163's aswell.

I'll be popping up to the next Chip'n'Spin day, to say Hi to hopefully, some familiar peeps, so long as everyone introduces themselves by the names we'll recognise, rather than their Christian names as we'll all be confused then!

I'm Carl by the way, damn fine to (almost) meet you all...

:shrug:

No, and haven't answered the question I posted a week ago either. But to be fair I haven't called them either.

I'll just wait for the post when it does come up.