Rear Wiper Stopped Working

Jon B

Reaction score
Hi,

As the title suggests. Rear wiper has stopped working on my B8.5 Avant. The spray mechanism still works, but it doesn’t move and is stuck on the middle of the rear windscreen.

Is the motor knackered, if so - easy to replace for a novice?

Thanks,

Jon

No experience with a b8 specifically but they're generally relatively easy to swap, rear trim and wiper nuts can sometimes be a pain to remove but it's certainly something worth stabbing at yourself.

Something like the following (unfortunately wrong language though)

Wiper delete videos will also point you in the right direction just do all they say but swap the motor rather than removing :icon thumright:

Common issue with rear wipers on audi`s,water gets into the motor and eventually kills it,first sign is usually the wiper not returning back to its proper position and eventually it fails altogether,had it twice on two previous cars.

It can also lead to issues with the central locking system causing it to malfunction due to the water ingress if not sorted,replace motor or wiper delete.:icon thumright:

Ok, so today i replaced the wiper motor on my Q7 as the dreaded water ingress had happened - again!! All put back together and checked my handiwork only to find that when the arm was lowered onto the glass it was as though there was too much resistance and the wiper stopped, blowing the fuse! so, into the front footwell (another job) and replaced the blown fuse. I then removed the arm from glass and works as it should. but when i put the arm back on the glass it moves 4-6 inches and stops so i switched it off and removed it from glass, before it blew the fuse again and - it works fine!!! whats going on here guys?

Not sure if l fully understand your problem, but this is what l would do:
Fit motor to the glass, without the wiper arm. Switch the wiper motor on and off to position the splines properly, and then fit the wiper arm in the correct 'off' position.

Sorry if I've misunderstood your problem.

Hi Rab
The problem seems to be that the arm when placed on the glass creates too much resistance to rotate. I’ll give your suggestion a try as well as making sure the spindle is perpendicular to the glass as I think that might be my issue. I lost the will to live after the faff. thank you for writing to me. Jim

Reactions: rabhrab