1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radio Intermittent Operation

Gray S Oct 16, 2018

1. Gray S

Gray S Member

I have had intermittent radio operation at times ever since collection. My B9 S4 certainly does not receive DAB signals as well as my previous B8.5 S4, it can loose signal two or three times on a local journey when my B8.5 never lost signal anywhere! This seems to happen when on DAB and DAB/FM, I thought it should switch to FM if the DAB signal is lost? However, the radio also sometimes stops although a signal is still shown, this normally happens when I need to concentrate on driving, but I finally tried changing to the next station which worked and then back to the original station which also then worked. Previously I've changed to SD card which works, but changing back to radio normally didn't work. I can just imagine the response I'll get if I take it into my local dealer! Anyone had anything similar, or any ideas?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. DohNut

DohNut Well-Known Member Team Daytona TFSI Owners Group Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group

I've noticed mine drops, but only for a few seconds so not too fussed really.

4. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group saloon Audi A4 S-line owners group

Around this time last year it was atmospheric conditions that affected all digital tv and radio transmittions due to the high pressure, rain humidity and mist or fog that existed.
    Not stating it will be this for sure and it may well be worth getting your car checked to make sure there isn't a connection or aerial issue..

5. Keef

Keef Well-Known Member Team Daytona Audi S4

I’ve never had any issues with DAB but for the first time ever, when I got in the car this morning, all DAB channels said currently unavailable! After driving for 10 mins it sprang back to lift.

6. Peter Huggon

Peter Huggon New Member Audi S4

I’ve seen the same problem where the DAB channel stops playing and doesn’t seem to come back until I change channels. Having said that it’s been fine for the last couple of months.

7. cuke2u

I have had this on occasion too..

8. Gray S

Gray S Member

Thanks for the responses, glad its not just me. Not sure I can be bothered taking it to the local dealers just for this, last time I had an intermittent fault they wanted £99 to investigate - I knew the cure so didn't take them up on their offer! I've got a 600 mile trip this week so see how many times it occurs.

9. Gray S

Gray S Member

I've done about 700 miles this week, S Devon to Yorkshire & back, the radio stopped once but on changing station was OK again. It did not loose DAB signal once, although I've had it loose signal on a local journey several times in 8 miles, perhaps the local transmitter was playing up. I'll mention it at the first service next year, but I doubt if I will get an intelligent response.

10. Psychoscot

Psychoscot Active Member Team Moonlight TFSI Owners Group Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group S-line owners group Manual

Mine always drops on the M4 about 8 miles east of Swindon, for about 90 seconds - but every car I've driven on the M4 does...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

11. Gray S

Gray S Member

I've used the M4 around Swindon a couple of times in my current B9 S4 and don't recall any drop of signal, my previous B8.5 S4 never had any drop of signal. It probably does depend on weather and it was good conditions on my recent trips past Swindon. Thinking about it, the time I had the signal drop several times on a local journey it was foggy, I wouldn't have thought it would make that much difference with a modern car.
    First world problems!

12. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

13. cuke2u

14. Psychoscot

Psychoscot Active Member Team Moonlight TFSI Owners Group Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group S-line owners group Manual

I'll have to check exactly where, but we do London - Gloucestershire and back 5/6 times a year, and have a consistent 90 second deadspot on DAB about 3-4 miles east of J15, when listening to Virgin/Absolute/Radio X. Every time, both directions, in a B9 A4, a 15 plate A3, and a Golf.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

15. RichardMMM

RichardMMM Active Member

I experience this too. I've had several BMW which picked up DAB everywhere in the area I live and my commute to work but the b9 cuts out in a number of places and often doesn't switch to FM.

16. cuke2u

You might need to adjust a mmi setting for that to happen. Page 272 of the manual suggests a setting switch to an alternative frequency. Personally, whilst I have some small dropouts, not really a life changing event ;-)