Quick shifter

• Thread starter imported_glen_jai
  • Start date
I

imported_glen_jai

Hi,
Can anyone recommend a quick shifter kit for the S3? I find the standard gearshift terribly long throw for this type of car.

Thanks.

Glen,
Search through some previous posts, I believe someone said they had fitted a Neuspeed one to their S3 and it was terrible so they took it off again. This was a while ago.
Cheers
GBH

that was me.

was ****** awful.

I was atleast its second owner (come from and R32) and i know its changed hands again since i sold it

gosh, lucky I asked you guys first before I split with any cash...
Thanks for your response

Paul, what was wrong with it?

My mate has one on his RS4 which he is very pleased with. i will find out what brand, cost etc

Is it a linkage type shifter?? Edit: (D'oh, you said "only fits S4/RS4 linkages" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif ) It's been mentioned that the majority of these only affect the forward stroke (as you said) but do nothing for the back stroke or the side to side. That's one thing I noticed about the B&M one, front / back and side throw is shortened, but also as you mentioned, it still feels a bit notchy, and is a bit heavier (although I've come to like that) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

tanoga one fits at the gear stick end....(S4/RS4)

Neuspeed fits at the gearbox (cable) end. (A3/S3/TT/R32)

For get the quick shift peeps, and invest in a Powerflex Dogbone Mount at 20 quid and get crisper gearchanges. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

B&M is a replacement lever
108_full.jpg

Here

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I`ve been using the Diesel Geek race shift for a while and now have upgraded to the ultra 6 short shifter This is a simple install and shifts are very smooth with very little side to side movement also you keep your own gear knob.

If any one needs help on install let me know.

SimonS3MTM

[ QUOTE ]
jojo said:
For get the quick shift peeps, and invest in a Powerflex Dogbone Mount at 20 quid and get crisper gearchanges. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
It's amazing how much info you guys have about this. Thanks everyone for all your response.

Paul, you mentioned about the Powerflex mount. What is this?

The stiffer mounts work but you still have the problem that the S3 throw is far to long and ****** hard work at track days.

SimonS3MTM

I have driven an S3 with the Neuspeed Short Shifter, felt really short, but found that the gears were so close together ment that it was easy to stick it into the wrong gear or none at all!

Have now fitted the Poly Dogbone mount and have to say it is a good compromise. Vibrations can be felt through the car whilst labouring but lessens after a few 100 miles as the bushes break-in. Shouldn't have the car labouring anyway if driven properly!

Polybush = £20
Short Shifter = £150 +

Know where my cash would be!

Hope this helps!