Question!

Nige Smith

Reaction score
Hello, short term forum watcher here, who's gained a load of useful info already! Looking to change my Golf GTi PP for a FL S3. The car will be used by both my wife & myself. We've always had manuals because my wife prefers them. This time I'd like to try the S-tronic & convince my wife of the benefits! Does the novelty of paddles wear off & you find yourself sticking it in auto & just driving, or do you enjoy the quick manual changes? Thanks,
Nige

Reactions: Sandra
I’m I PFL but I wanted STronic for paddles however I barely use them but I do use them and love it as a novelty. It’s worth mentioning tho that I still prefer the auto over the manual ( always been manual up to this car) my friend has a manual S3 too. This box is really sweet and the S burp only exists on auto which on its own is worth going auto

Reactions: Sparks43 and Nige Smith
Novelty wear off pretty quickly. Stick it in auto and go now with the occasional flick to S for quick manoeuvres.
To put it simply humans isn’t as fast as computers so you are never gonna beat the stronic computer box off the line. On track slightly different when you want to hold gears other than that let it do its thing.

I had this very same problem with my wife about four years back in the end she gave stronic a go and now says she would never have a manual again .
We have just bought a new S3 sportback and it was the first thing she said was it as to be auto . I personally find myself driving in auto and very rarely use the paddles .

Had Stronic, got bored. Changed car and went back to manual. 2yrs on and oh how I long for an Stronic again lol. So much so I’m flippin ordering one. It certainly has its niggles off the mark but you quickly get used too it and learn how to get the best from your car. I’d highly recommend it. Lovely way to drive a car

And to actually answer your question the paddles are great fun when you feel like a blast. For normal urban driving I let the box do the work

Last edited:
Hello, short term forum watcher here, who's gained a load of useful info already! Looking to change my Golf GTi PP for a FL S3. The car will be used by both my wife & myself. We've always had manuals because my wife prefers them. This time I'd like to try the S-tronic & convince my wife of the benefits! Does the novelty of paddles wear off & you find yourself sticking it in auto & just driving, or do you enjoy the quick manual changes? Thanks,
Nige
I came from an S3 manual and I was a die hard manual fan! I only tend to use the paddles when I'm at 40mph in a 40 zone and it's sitting in 5th, so I give a nudge to put it in 6th. I do the same if I'm in a 50 limit to pop it up to 7th if it doesn't do it on its own lol :)

Would I go back to a manual??? NO, if I want a bit of a blast just pull back into S mode and switch to dynamic for the steering etc. :)

My S3 was the first automatic I had ever had after 30 years of driving manual cars. I would never go back to a manual now. I had a manual courtesy car recently and found it a chore to drive. As to the paddles I don't use them that often but I would miss them if they weren't there. Fun to drop down a gear, or even two, and blast away. Routinely though I have got used to the box in auto and it serves me well. I really only use the paddles to childishly make extra noise in long road tunnels :grinning:

I've always driven manuals until my A3 went in for a ECU update a few months and I got an S-Tronic on the loan car. Let's just say my next car is going to be S-Tronic/dual clutch. It's unbelievably smooth, and I personally enjoy the paddles.

Use the paddles all the time,much prefer to choose what gear to be in engine braking etc, auto changes up too soon in auto mode and stops in gear too long in sport/dynamic. Have used auto for a spell but find that I get better mpg using paddles and it's much more fun to drive this way. In traffic I use auto as it's so much easier. First time with auto and probably will never go back to manual.

Like most people always had a manual and my wife said she preferred it - When it came to changing to our current S3 S-Tronic is now the only option

My wife has now said she wouldn't want to go back to a manual and I have to agree I would have S-Tronic now as well

I drive my works pool car which is a Mercedes A Class manual and drove it the other day and thought it was breaking down as it started to shake - You really must remember to put the clutch down when in 6th and trying to turn a corner - How soon you forget!!

Nige

You should listen to your wife. Clearly she knows best !!! :racer:

I personally don't like DSG. Every car I 've tried it's always the same. Dim-witted and slow in `D` and hangs onto gears for dear life in `S`.
Audi paddles are too small, which makes using the paddles unappealing.

It might not have been too bad in the stick shift in sport was the right way round. Pull back for an upshift and push forward for a downshift. Just like Porsche, BMW etc have theirs set-up. But VW/Audi, push forward for an upshift is counter intuitive. I understand why they do it, as they appeal to stupid people who can't get their heads around pulling back to go up a gear. But to anyone with a drop of Petrol in their veins know which it the correct way round.

Each to their own though, and on here I'm clearly in a minority. I just enjoy changing gears with a manual whether everyday driving or a spirited run. Soon though we won't have a choice as the manual days are numbered to meet ever tightening emission regulations. But again, the industry thinks we all want an auto because it get 2mpg better economy and it laps the ring 3 seconds quicker. We (I) don't. Plus manufacturers only need to develop one gearbox, thus cutting development costs.

Best advise is to get a car for a day, and see how you get on. Most people love their DSG's and learn to drive round the flawed gearbox. For me, If I'd bought an RS3 Saloon when I thought about getting one, I'd have already got rid of it, as I'd have been bored after a week. Use one foot and steer. Boring !

Last edited:
Reactions: Nige Smith and Phutters
The dsg gives the S burp without it the car lacks something. Drive one you won’t be disappointed. Plus never worry about clutch issues like the manual boys. I come from evos where I learnt do really drive manuals and be mechanically sympathetic to clutches and must say this car has converted me.

Personally I love the flappy paddles, for me it doesn't wear off as a novelty. I would never go back to a manual again, having the best of both words and the racier feel does it for me! Not to mention the amount of time we spend sat in traffic moving 10ft at a time! the lack of a clutch in this scenario is a godsend.

A short test drive isnt enough to get a feel. I went manual as I didnt like the auto when I test drove one, but after having a courtesey a5 auto for a couple of months and getting use to its quirks I could easily be sold on an auto now. It makes driving so effortless.

The main consideration wrt going manual is being prepared to spend around 1500 quid on replacing the clutch. Lots of them fail with very few miles on the clock but many don't so it seems a bit of a lottery.

It might not have been too bad in the stick shift in sport was the right way round. Pull back for an upshift and push forward for a downshift. Just like Porsche, BMW etc have theirs set-up. But VW/Audi, push forward for an upshift is counter intuitive. I understand why they do it, as they appeal to stupid people who can't get their heads around pulling back to go up a gear. But to anyone with a drop of Petrol in their veins know which it the correct way round.

I thought I was the only one that thought it was the wrong way round.
It’s an electronic switch so might be easy to switch up for down and down for up. Might look into it when I get bored

I thought I was the only one that thought it was the wrong way round.
It’s an electronic switch so might be easy to switch up for down and down for up. Might look into it when I get bored

I asked the question to REVO when I was debating about an RS3. No software to enable this. Or wasn't when I asked. They did say I'm the only one to enquire about it, which I thought was strange.

I also was a die hard manual fan and I am om my 3rd DSG tranny...never go back to a manual.
Personally, I rarely use the paddles, but I do use the S mode and push/pull the gear lever as I much prefer that method, it takes me back to a manual simulation and is perfect for making the 1 to 2 shift when turning left or right from a standstill, as the paddles become cumbersome when making that move.

I asked the question to REVO when I was debating about an RS3. No software to enable this. Or wasn't when I asked. They did say I'm the only one to enquire about it, which I thought was strange.

When you push/pull the lever it must flick a micro switch underneath. My thinking is if we switch the wires going to these micro switches then up will turn down and down will be up.

Reactions: Damo S