Question for ye all .... Exhaust related!

miltybilty

Reaction score
So I have a North American spec 2011 A3 8P TFSI/TSI 2.0T QUATTRO DSG ....

The stock catback is like a euro S3 catback except it has no res in front of the haldex diff, and it doesn't have a flapper.

Currently installed on the car is a eBay catless downpipe (non-res) .... Fits surprisingly well .... Buttttt .... The exhaust note .... Sounds LIKE A TRACTOR!!

Whatever ....

Here's the question, I find no drone from the exhaust just tractor noise when window down .... So I was thinking of making the car louder to remove the tractor noise ....

My best options (cheap and tested) are Mk6 GTI stock resonator in place of the rear muffler or a vibrant bottle style resonator in place of RM.

The GTI resonator will have no drone .... But won't have the same tone as the vibrant res ....

Soooo if the vibrant res is loud could I dynamat the rear floorpan??

Basically I don't mind loud as long as it's not droning to loud .... Slight hum well cruising is fine ....

Basically wanted to put my idea out there and ask others for there experiences with running catless, almost straight pipe systems on there A3s and S3s ....

No G** comments about "just get a catback" or etc .... Just need actual help or advice or real experience. Don't have the money for a powervalve either.

Thanks.

Sent from my highchair using Tapacar

Can you get the ‘vibrant’ res in the UK, if you don’t get it from Amazon. I’ve seen it mentioned a lot but no UK feedback/reviews.

Can you get the ‘vibrant’ res in the UK, if you don’t get it from Amazon. I’ve seen it mentioned a lot but no UK feedback/reviews.
Probably from Amazon .... Doesn't matter for me though as I live in Canada and Vibrant is a Canadian company.

Ordered a Vibrant v-band clamp today to replace the cruddy eBay one, as well as a VIBRANT Ultra-quiet Resonator P# 1141 and also ordered a vibrant twin tip 3.5 dual outlet.

Should be good .... Just made my decision as I didn't want too rice (loud useless noise) and also didn't want stock OR John-Deere like noise ....

I'll report back when it's all welded up.

I'm hoping for max loud when accelerating but almost droneless when cruising at 120kmph.

Cheers

Reactions: Sandra
I think the problem is catless, i wonder if the cat early in the system plays a much bigger part than people realise with drone and the overall sound the back boxes then make.
I seem to be incredibly lucky, i have an APR down pipe and cat mated to a stock system, its quiet on the motorway and round town but the Accelerator is very much the volume control and boot it and it howls like a jap sports bike from 4k to 7k rpm, lift off and its quiet again.
I think this is a combination of being 8 years old so the baffles are pretty clogged and the cat at the start of the system.
When i inquired about changing the system when i went stg2+ i was told by APR they make a cast seamless down pipe and cat but dont make a cat back system as the std exhaust is not restrictive. this was borne out by the dyno runs that were excellent even at peak revs.
as i say its just my opinion but i think the down pipe and cat dictate or play the biggest part in sound and performance. I dont get many comments on looks with my old car but i do get a lot on how nice it sounds on the street.

I think the problem is catless, i wonder if the cat early in the system plays a much bigger part than people realise with drone and the overall sound the back boxes then make.
I seem to be incredibly lucky, i have an APR down pipe and cat mated to a stock system, its quiet on the motorway and round town but the Accelerator is very much the volume control and boot it and it howls like a jap sports bike from 4k to 7k rpm, lift off and its quiet again.
I think this is a combination of being 8 years old so the baffles are pretty clogged and the cat at the start of the system.
When i inquired about changing the system when i went stg2+ i was told by APR they make a cast seamless down pipe and cat but dont make a cat back system as the std exhaust is not restrictive. this was borne out by the dyno runs that were excellent even at peak revs.
as i say its just my opinion but i think the down pipe and cat dictate or play the biggest part in sound and performance. I dont get many comments on looks with my old car but i do get a lot on how nice it sounds on the street.
Yes it does play a very big part .... I think my ultimate exhaust setup would be a catted and resonated downpipe .... then straight pipe catback.

I went from an non-res pre-cat delete OEM down pipe to a catless non-res 3" downpipe and John Deere commenced ....
There would be a lot less rasp and tractor, had I chosen to get a catted downpipe, as well as a lot less money left.

Still my catless downpipe with just the OEM catback (single resonated muffler) does not have any drone so far. Can barely hear any noise unless my windows open.

Basically I like cheap .... Cheap doesn't have to sound bad though. Hence why I bought a ultra-quiet res, to clean up the sound and remove drone.

Stock catback definitely isn't a hold up power wise. Part of the stock piping will be staying cuz cheap me lol .... Basically gonna be a 2.35" - 2.5" catback.

I assume yours, probably has a really nice OEM+ sound to it. 200 cell cat?
Still got the before the diff resonator?

This was my system upgrade ( ignore the pump) the rest is std factory exhaust

Attachments

• 30653207_2072499579445998_3217065869188268032_n.jpg
    30653207_2072499579445998_3217065869188268032_n.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 67
This was my system upgrade ( ignore the pump) the rest is std factory exhaust
Wow .... Must be fairly subtle sounding .... Mines literally a pipe .... Like I don't have that cat or res.

Your downpipe would definitely clean up the sound. Looks quality too. And the resonator wouldn't do as much when your WOT but keep the drone and rasp, non existent.

Should get a vid of your car ....

I got a tip and a clamp in the mail ....

Getting the ultra-quiet Friday
6ea5e44af85cce070927f42f20a72842.jpg

Reactions: paddy