Quattro Sport feelin Sluggish

chrisjmcqueen

Reaction score
Website
www.kkkk.com
Please bear in mind that I'm no mechanic, so wouldn't really know my way around the full workings of the car..

I've got an 03 A4 Quattro Sport, it feels sluggish, like there is something holding it back. It is not freewheeling like my a4 TDI, if I go to move off and engage the clutch it slows to a stop. I've had a mechanic check brakes and they are not sticking..

Any thoughts on what else it could be? Any ideas for what I should be looking for or researching?

Not much to go on but here's some suggestions

Fuel/air isssue - when were the filters changed, last service?
Egr clogged up (do theses engines have them????)
Any number of engine management sensors, MAF, MAP etc - get a fault scan done
Injector issues - get a scan done
Driveshaft/gearbox issues - unlikely

Doodah, thanks for the points

I was thinking it was more mechanical, more along the lines of driveshaft etc. Simply because it drags when in neutral or clutch is engaged, would this not rule out filters, sensors etc?

I will put it on computer and see what codes shes throwing up

If it's doing it in neutral then that does point to drivetrain issues. Maybe wheel bearings but I would've thought that would've been ruled out when your mechanic checked for sticking brakes? If it was driveshaft/gearbox then I would think there would be more obvious issues like grinding gears or wobbles/knocking when driving. Maybe the clutch isn't properly disengaging but again, I would think this would come with gear change issues too.

It does point to sticking brakes, though. How well do you know your mechanic? For a diy check, go for a drive and try to coast to a stop then, with the back of your hand, feel for excessive heat at each wheel. Another thought, does it still drag if you turn the ignition off (on a straight empty road only) because there could be a servo problem, gently squeezing the brakes all the time. This wouldn't reveal itself on a ramp because it's likely the engine would be off when checking for a non-returning piston.

I'm no mechanic but I am paid to fix aircraft for a living so just thinking out loud :laugh:

Get it on diagnostics to eliminate sensors problems as a cause, there's bound to be a member with VCDS near you to help you out.