Prospective Owner - Help Needed!!

8BallAddict

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wanted to start a general discussion - I'm planning on moving up the Audi A-Ladder again to an A6 and looking for your advice on the best option to go for.

So let me just list my owner history, just so it gives you a better idea of where I’m coming from….

My first was a 2002 A3 1.9 139 TDI Sport
Second was a 2004 A3 2.0 143 TDI Sport
Third was a 2008 A4 2.0 170 TDI Avant
And now a modified 430+ bhp 2011 S4 Avant (for sale by the way if anyone’s interested)

I’m now looking to go back to a TDI, just because my work means I’m doing too many miles and it’s just costing too much to fuel the S4.

So, the only way I can see me progressing now it to a Black Edition A6 Avant. But this is where I need your help. I have three conundrums….

2.0l or 3.0l?
Quattro or FWD?
Manual or S-Tronic?

I loved the 2.0l engine in my A3 – I could regularly hit over 50mpg and did see 60+ once or twice. Obviously the A6 is a bigger car so which is better, the 2.0 or 3.0?

The Quattro is awesome; I don’t think many people will disagree. But before I had the S4 I had only ever had FWD’s and never had an issue with them before so should I be worried about going back to an FWD over Quattro?

I have the 7 speed S-Tronic box at the moment and absolutely love it. But, I’m also a ‘driver’ so do miss having a manual sometimes. What’s your views on that. And Tiptronic – What’s the difference and should this be avoided over the S-Tronic and Manual?

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated!

Cheers guys!

i went from a 3.0 quattro to a 2.0 fwd - i thought i would miss the quattro but with less power to put down it isn't an issue, my mpg has gone from 30 average to nearly 50 average - so that was the main decision maker for me

the stronic gearbox is so smooth and fast, manual on a diesel has never made sense to me, as it's not about hitting a rev limiter to get the most out of it - i've driven a new s3 and if you want to get the most out of that you are better leaving the gearbox do its job and concentrate on the road

if you go for a 3.0 then they are all quattro, if you go for a 2.0 then the quattro to me is just expensive weight

the ultra i have with 190 is fast enough, its not even that far off my old v6 in terms of torque

the black edition was a must for me, mainly because i loathe cleaning chrome, but the spec is also very high as standard

Reactions: 8BallAddict
What's your budget and does it need to be the Avant?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i went from a 3.0 quattro to a 2.0 fwd - i thought i would miss the quattro but with less power to put down it isn't an issue, my mpg has gone from 30 average to nearly 50 average - so that was the main decision maker for me

Is it that much different then, 30 to 50mpg from the 3 to the 2 litre?

the stronic gearbox is so smooth and fast, manual on a diesel has never made sense to me, as it's not about hitting a rev limiter to get the most out of it - i've driven a new s3 and if you want to get the most out of that you are better leaving the gearbox do its job and concentrate on the road

Agreed, the S-Tronic is amazing, I couldn't change gear quick enough if my S4 was a manual! Do they do the 2.0 with a S-Tronic box then?

if you go for a 3.0 then they are all quattro, if you go for a 2.0 then the quattro to me is just expensive weight

the ultra i have with 190 is fast enough, its not even that far off my old v6 in terms of torque

the black edition was a must for me, mainly because i loathe cleaning chrome, but the spec is also very high as standard

Isn't the Ultra only £30 road tax too, as it's under 130mgs emissions or something? And do they do an ultra black edition or am I getting your post confused?

What's your budget and does it need to be the Avant?

Yeah, I do want an Avant really as I need the roof rails. My budget is dictated by how much I get for my S4 (if I can even sell it for a reasonable amount) plus a bit of cash I can add to it. I'm looking up to £18k max but ideally more like £15-£16k really.

Is it that much different then, 30 to 50mpg from the 3 to the 2 litre?

Agreed, the S-Tronic is amazing, I couldn't change gear quick enough if my S4 was a manual! Do they do the 2.0 with a S-Tronic box then?

Isn't the Ultra only £30 road tax too, as it's under 130mgs emissions or something? And do they do an ultra black edition or am I getting your post confused?

well my 3.0 was a 2004, i think the newer ones are slightly better, and i only get 50mpg from driving gingerly

older cars have multitronic no stronic, so not sure what is in your budget, but something else to check

and yes my road tax is £30, ultra black edition, black edition is the spec, ultra is just engine designation

Yeah, I do want an Avant really as I need the roof rails. My budget is dictated by how much I get for my S4 (if I can even sell it for a reasonable amount) plus a bit of cash I can add to it. I'm looking up to £18k max but ideally more like £15-£16k really.

Not sure 15-16k will get you in an Ultra but it'll get you a nice 2.0 TDi Black Edition.

Very happy with my saloon STronic but double check it's had gearbox service as Audi recommends one every 38k. Just had mine done at Audi for £199.

Based on my experience I'd go for the 3.0. My previous car was a tuned S4, V8 version. I test drove a MY16 190PS 2.0tdi and it left no doubt in my mind that the 3.0 was the way to go. It was capable enough but it left felt like something was missing. It is still stock and not quite on par with the S4 but once warranty is out of the window it will be mapped then it will be on par if not ahead.

My avg. consumption over a 12 mile commute is high 30's and on a long run +45mpg is possible with discipline.

@Digidick So you have a 3.0 saloon then? I think the 2.0's all have multitronic gearboxes only. I've never driven a multitronic, only the S-Tronic. Would I be disappointed with the multi over the S?

the multi isn't dual clutch and think there have been some issues with them

ultra black edition, black edition is the spec, ultra is just engine designation

Ah I see, nice one! Now I want one of them!

the multi isn't dual clutch and think there have been some issues with them

I think it would have to be manual over multitronic if I don't go S-Tronic then. And seeing as I can't see any 2.0's with S-tronic in my price range, I'm still confused!

Based on my experience I'd go for the 3.0. My previous car was a tuned S4, V8 version. I test drove a MY16 190PS 2.0tdi and it left no doubt in my mind that the 3.0 was the way to go. It was capable enough but it left felt like something was missing. It is still stock and not quite on par with the S4 but once warranty is out of the window it will be mapped then it will be on par if not ahead.

My avg. consumption over a 12 mile commute is high 30's and on a long run +45mpg is possible with discipline.

I think my problem is that if I'm going to go down from my S4 because i'm doing so many miles, I need to go from one extreme to the other, so I need more MPG than power.

@Digidick So you have a 3.0 saloon then? I think the 2.0's all have multitronic gearboxes only. I've never driven a multitronic, only the S-Tronic. Would I be disappointed with the multi over the S?

Sorry I have Multitronic (don't know what I was thinking) and mine is the 2.0 TDi with a remap to around 215bhp.

Really like the gearbox but not tried any other in an Audi.

Sorry I have Multitronic (don't know what I was thinking) and mine is the 2.0 TDi with a remap to around 215bhp.

Really like the gearbox but not tried any other in an Audi.

Ah fair enough, it appears the ultras have S-Tronic's but the standard 2.0 black editions have Multi's. Might be worth me going and test driving a multitronic but I think I would just be left slightly wanting after having the awesomeness of the DSG S-Tronic. Does the your multitronic still have the flappy paddles though?

Yes it does have paddles. The only thing I miss is the top end grunt I got from my old 530d 260bhp but I don't miss the 30mpg.

I think my problem is that if I'm going to go down from my S4 because i'm doing so many miles, I need to go from one extreme to the other, so I need more MPG than power.

The 3.0 is a good compromise. Decent MPG with a bit of oomph when needed. If you get the opportunity test drive both.

Do any of the A6's come with the 3G MMI, the one with the internal HDD?

Only if the tech pack was ordered :)

Easy way to tell from photos is the touch screen style keypad down on the centre console by the gearstick

I've had a c7 with tech pack; ordered mine without, no big difference but I guess on a used car it doesn't really matter as it won't affect the price much

There are a few on auto trader near your budget if you search on a web browser you can specify black edition

Only if the tech pack was ordered :)

Easy way to tell from photos is the touch screen style keypad down on the centre console by the gearstick

Is it this thing you mean?
f192d5a4324025145fc77631ca0f873d.jpg

So I haven't read the replies, but I now have a 2013 2.0 TDi SLine Black Edition Avant.
Prior to this, I had an '06 A4 Avant TDi SLine Avant Quattro.

Other differences aside, I F*CKING miss Quattro!

So much so, that as I no longer need an Avant, I could well chop it in for an A7 3.0 Quattro. Don't even care if it's not SLine..............

The search is on!! Just need to sell the S4 now!

Good luck Sir

If it ever doesn't need to be an Avant give me a shout, I have the perfect saloon 2.0 TDi for you

So I haven't read the replies, but I now have a 2013 2.0 TDi SLine Black Edition Avant.
Prior to this, I had an '06 A4 Avant TDi SLine Avant Quattro.

Other differences aside, I F*CKING miss Quattro!

So much so, that as I no longer need an Avant, I could well chop it in for an A7 3.0 Quattro. Don't even care if it's not SLine..............

What makes you say that mate? I had an 08 A4 Avant TDI SLine FWD only and thought it was ok. Can the quattro in a TDI really make that much difference? I've only ever driven quattro in my current S4 and I know that helps massively with the power this thing has.

Just to try and tempt you.

3141cc3bba8f49028beb078a6ca825f3.jpg

1dce5ebdb4e264c2f134e3a5f2dcc71a.jpg

I've been a BMW man for years and might be missing them.

'Tis a very nice looking motor mate. I do need an Avant though as need to put a bike on the roof quite often and already got the nice low profile black roof bars ready to go!

'Tis a very nice looking motor mate. I do need an Avant though as need to put a bike on the roof quite often and already got the nice low profile black roof bars ready to go!

Fair enough.

I really do like them but Avant's seem thin on the ground and I would have had one quite happily after enjoying my previous 530d Touring but the saloon is fine for my needs.

Definitely not as many Avants out there compared to Saloons but seen a few. Trying to find one with the internal HDD seems impossible though!!

Definitely not as many Avants out there compared to Saloons but seen a few. Trying to find one with the internal HDD seems impossible though!!

Mine has that but didn't realise at the time, I was just buying on condition and colour within my budget.

I can chirp the front wheels so easily - never happened with Quattro and that car had a cheeky remap, so more power (210 compared to 175). Plus the B7 Avant was (I'm guessing) quite a bit lighter than the C7 Avant.
The cornering was so much more assuring - and a bit faster - with Quattro. The grip was fantastic and I just fell in love with it.....can you tell that I do miss it?

What makes you say that mate? I had an 08 A4 Avant TDI SLine FWD only and thought it was ok. Can the quattro in a TDI really make that much difference? I've only ever driven quattro in my current S4 and I know that helps massively with the power this thing has.

Well i drove the 7 speed S-tronic in a 3.0 245 version and it is nice but really I knew I wanted the bi turbo diesel for ofcourse the extra power but really i wanted all that torque (and the lovely sounding actuated exhaust).

Anyway the biTDI only has the Triptronic 8 speed ZF box (due to the S-tronic not being able to handle all the torque) which felt just as smooth and quick changing up in manual) and even spends less time searching for gears in some situations, where the S-tronic beats the triptonic is droping gears in manual and automatic as the triptronic has a hesitation to drop a gear and certainly 2 gears, although spooling two big turbos doesn't help make the process the quickest lol.

I know they arent the cheapest but if you can find a biTDI then its a very good compromise of a mpg boost and power coming from a tuned S4. Tuned mine and still avging 34mpg from pump to pump currently and i sit in traffic alot and at 90mph on the motorways so 40mpg is a good possibility if needed.