Project B6 420-TS Avant

Why don't you use a crank girdle and what colour did you decide on and leave us hanging many posts ago?

Oops, I do apologise, I thought I'd posted the colour.

Ford Ultimate Green, as used on the Focus RS 2.5 I5 Turbo.

I haven't really looked into a crank girdle, the BCY block is pretty rigid.

Ps will you be doing an engine rebuild?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ps will you be doing an engine rebuild?

Yes. Since I'm replacing the crank with an ANK (C5 S6) item, it makes sense. The only component that won't be replaced is the oil pump. I've never come across failure on any 077-series V8.

The rods and crank are being cryo treated.

Reactions: QuattroCalum
Yes. Since I'm replacing the crank with an ANK (C5 S6) item, it makes sense. The only component that won't be replaced is the oil pump. I've never come across failure on any 077-series V8.

The rods and crank are being cryo treated.

I like to see a good engine rebuild, look forward to seeing it.

That looks pretty good. I really need to visit my local Audi dealership, for inspiration.

Other than engine bits, this is forming as my shopping list :)
Keen on seeing the wheel arch inners and rear diff mount.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

I was lucky to get hold of a 2002 C5 S6 crankshaft this arvo. I say lucky, as most sellers wouldn't tear down an engine to sell internals.

This will replace the 10-bolt RS6 item in my C5 RS6 BCY engine.

Reactions: fanta
Updated list - May 02nd, 2017:

B6 S4 front spindles.
B6 S4 front lower arms.
B6 S4 front upper arms.
B6 A4 / S4 front sway bar C-links.
B7 RS4 Wheels - 9.0" x 19" ET 29.
Built B6 3.0 / C5 2.5 V6 TDI 01E 6-speed gearbox.
B6 A4 3.0 Quattro (pre-2002) 4.11:1 rear differential.
B6 A4 3.0 Quattro (pre-2002) 01E shifter.

Brembo 6-piston front calipers, rotors TBC.
Brembo rear calipers, and Brembo parking brake calipers, rotors TBC.
B6 S4 KW V3 or Eibach Pro-Street adjustable coilovers.
B6 A4 2.5 V6 TDI Quattro front axles and 01E gearbox output flanges (130mm).
Vibratechnics aluminium Motorsport engine mounts (will work for my 3.0 V6, and the D3 4.2 V8 40V).
Custom V8 40V solid billet steel flywheel.
C5 RS6 BCY engine, complete.
C6 S6 (ANK) crankshaft.
B5 A4 Quattro front subframe.

B6 custom solid rear differential mounts.
B7 RS4 OEM complete exhaust (cat-back) with active rear mufflers.
B7 RS4 Avant rear bumper.
B6 RS4-style hood grille.
B7 RS4 Side Skirts.
B7 RS4 rear door, right-hand side.
B7 RS4 rear door, left-hand side.
B7 RS4 fender, right-hand side.
B7 RS4 fender, left-hand side.
B7 RS4 Avant rear quarter, right-hand side.
B7 RS4 Avant rear quarter, left-hand side.
B7 RS4 front bumper (as donor for the corners).
B6 S4 Xenon headlamps.

B7 RS4 front wheel arch liners.
B7 RS4 rear wheel arch liners.
B7 RS4 gas tank flap.
B7 RS4 Avant black headlining with all matching trims and sun visors.
B7 Seat Exeo dashboard.
B6 S4 Convertible instrument cluster.

B7 Seat Exeo glovebox.
B8 S4 aluminium mirrors, with integral LED side repeaters.

A fair mix of b6 + b7 parts, one question, why a b 5 front subframe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A fair mix of b6 + b7 parts, one question, why a b 5 front subframe?

Really, I'm using a B5 V6 front subframe, as it allows me to run an 01E 6-speed manual with conventional side mounts, as opposed to the later B6 manual version, which only allows the DTS-style single crossmember.

My car currently has the later B6 (2003-2005) 02X 6-speed manual, which is a medium-duty unit, torque rated to 350Nm. No good for any V8 motor, even N/A. My built 01E will be used.

The later DTS-style method of mounting the transmission in a B6 will limit what exhausts I can run, too.

Interestingly, the B5 V6/S4 subframe is the same as that used in the early 6-speed (01E) and automatic models. I still have the original one off my B6 (when it was still tip) and it's the same as the B5 subframe. Apart from it being so rusty, that is.

I see, I was just wondering as it was the only b5 part listed. What kind of power at you looking at when it's all built?

My C5 S6 crank turned up today, well packed and oiled.

It's quite a substantial piece, I suppose it could be lightened, but while it would aid quicker spool up, it would hurt drivability, and make for a slightly snatchy on/off throttle characteristic.

My C5 S6 crank turned up today, well packed and oiled.

It's quite a substantial piece, I suppose it could be lightened, but while it would aid quicker spool up, it would hurt drivability, and make for a slightly snatchy on/off throttle characteristic.

The same effect as a lightened flywheel, a novelty that soon wears off I think. Anyway, where's the pictures? :whistle2:

Some pictures of my BCY motor, B6 420-TS's new heart. These are pre-delivery pictures, as the seller sent to me, so they're poor quality, really, might have as well used a pin-hole camera. It's going to be transported down next week, so I'll take my usual high-resolution shots.

Reactions: fanta and DieselJake
Looks good. ABZ V8 running on the floor craziness:

Spot the home made bell housing look robust but rough!

Lol...I remember seeing this a couple of years ago. Poor ABZ, being revved with no coolant.

I'd not seen that video but seems a little foolish to rev hard with no coolant, nevertheless I guess the noise in that video has got you excited for your lump to arrive? This car is going to be an absolute beast when it's complete!
Sorry if it's been covered already but do you have a rough timescale for the project or just as and when you can, like everyone else's haha?

Great work as usual Nollywood, keep it up :respekt:

So, I've been looking at flywheel and clutch options for the C5 RS6 motor.

As I have opted to run a regular 077-series V8 40V engine, I have more flywheel options open to me (8-bolt fitment to crank). I was considering the popular B7 RS4 flywheel and clutch, but having spoken to TTV Racing, as well as quite a few respected tuners in the UK, Europe and the United States, there's no proven benefit in running the B7 RS4 clutch over a B5 RS4 item.

If anything, the B5 RS4 pressure plate has been tested in different rigs, and it has more clamping force than the B7's. Torque wise, both the B5 and B7 RS4 engines produce similar torque outputs - 440 and 430Nm respectively. The B5 RS4 however produces its torque much lower down the rev range, which loads the clutch up more. Put it this way, 450Nm produced at 2,000 rpm is more destructive to a clutch than 500Nm produced at 6500. One of the reasons why it's popular to run diesel flywheels and clutches in big power gasoline motors.

The RS6 4.2 V8 BiTurbo (BCY) engine produces 580Nm between 1,950 and 5600 rpm. A very wide, and useful power band. It almost doesn't matter what gear you're in, it'll pull strong. Very different from a highly-strung, properly built 1.8T making 550hp. The power band really matters to me.

Engine will be with me by Wednesday, and I'll be ordering my flywheel sometime next week.

Reactions: Baka and QuattroCalum
The heart of this creation is a C5 RS6 (BCY) motor. I am tearing it down, and rebuilding it, retaining just the oil pump. I am using the crank out of a 2002 C5 S6, (ANK) which gives more flywheel options, due to its 8-bolt fitment. It seems a waste to start off with a built motor, and not go to stage 3.

What turbos would I need to go stage 3? I will not be running the original RS6 exhaust manifolds, with their low-slung, rear-mounted snails. My manifolds will locate both turbos above the frame rails, for ease of replacement, and close proximity to the frames, and transmission (01E 6-speed).

Camshafts? I'm aware the lumpy sticks in a C5 4.2 V8 have more lift, and duration (not S6). Are these a better option?

I would really appreciate some direction here.

are you planning to use the RS4 Rear anti roll bar on this?

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

So today, my C5 RS6 engine turned up.

I've done 6 V8 swaps till date, but still, I'm always startled by how big it is. Within the confines of an engine bay, it looks pretty compact. Sitting on a pallet, it's massive.

It's complete with the ECU and harness, but no snails. Since I'm mounting them differently, with different manifolds and looking to go stage III, there seemed little point in the added expense. I got xxx off the final price. I also didn't bother having the alternator, as I've got a built 190A unit.

Once all the build parts are with me, I'll begin the strip down for rebuild. The crank, cams and rods will be cryogenically treated, while the rotating assembly - crank, rods with pistons, flywheel and clutch attached, will be balanced before being refitted to the block.

Pictures to follow.

C5 RS6 BCY motor, shortly after it was unloaded from the delivery truck:

Stock C5 RS6 exhaust manifolds - I won't be using them, though:

C5 S6 (ANK) crankshaft:

C5 RS6 harness and ECU:

C5 RS6 (BCY) data sticker on timing belt cover:

Reactions: Northampton_ofn, QuattroCalum and fanta
One issue that C5 RS6 owners often come up against, when doing manual swaps, is ABS and ESP. Not being able to code the BCY ECU for manual, the ABS controller get's really unhappy. To a lesser degree - I say lesser, because it's not really an essential. Cruise Control.

I've been trawling through wiring diagrams, the ABS controller, and what data it needs to see, and via which pin / pins. I think I've got it worked out, and I know exactly what I need to do. [up]

I discovered that what I thought were B6 A4 2.5 V6 TDI front axles, were actually the originals from my 2000 B5 2.8 Quattro, before it got a V8, and an 01E swap. That meant inner flanges of 108mm.

I managed to get hold of the correct ones, with the 130mm inners. So, Tripod, rather than the regular Lobro units.

Reactions: Scott0583
B6 420-TS spec. Final spec may be subject to change, and subsequent revision:

Audi B6 420-TS Spec.

Powertrain:

Rebuilt 2004 RS6 (BCY) 4.2 V8 40V BiTurbo.
OEM steel laminate head gasket, 1 extra leaf added.
ARP Rod Stud kit.
ARP Cylinder Head Bolts.
RS6 cylinder heads ported, exhaust ports polished.
Intake manifold ported to match cylinder head ports.
Custom exhaust manifolds with V-bands.
C5 S6 (ANK) crankshaft, cyro treated.
Rods and cams cryo treated.
Throttle body ported to match intake.
OEM C5 RS6 intercoolers.
Vibra-Technics aluminium billet Motorsport mounts.
2 x Magnaflow 200 CPI CATs.
OEM B7 RS6 cat-back with rear active muffler valves.

Fuelling:

Bosch 0280150672 injectors, 800 cc/min (74 lbs/hr).
OEM 4 bar FPR.
Fuel pump capable of 365 L/H at 6.0 bar.
D3 A8 4.2 MAF housings, C5 RS6 MAF units, scaled accordingly.
Intake trumpets machined to accept larger MAF's.

Management:

Bosch Motronic ME7.1.1 stage III remap by MRC Tuning.

Drivetrain:

Built 01E 6-speed manual, from 2002 C5 A6 2.5 V6 TDI Quattro.
B6 A4 2.5 V6 TDI rear 4.11:1 differential.
TTV / B7 RS4 single-mass steel flywheel.
OEM B7 RS4 241mm clutch pressure plate.
OEM C6 A6 3.0 V6 TDI 241mm clutch friction disc.
B6 A4 2.5 V6 TDI front driveshafts.
Vibra-Technics transmission mounts.
Vibra-Technics differential mounts.

Braking:

Porsche Cayenne S 6-piston Brembo calipers (fronts).
Alcon 2-piece 365 x 35mm slotted rotors (fronts).
Porsche Boxster 4-piston Brembo calipers, custom brackets, OEM calipers for parking brake (rears).
Alcon 2-piece 330 x 32mm slotted rotors (rears).
Stainless steel braided hoses all round.
Dot 5.1 hydraulic fluid.

Rolling stock:

OEM B7 RS4 9" x 19" wheels, powder coated anthracite, diamond cut faces.
255/35x19 Continental Sport Contact 2 rubber.

Suspension:

Bilstein PSS9 adjustable coilovers.
OEM B7 RS4 lower and upper arms.
OEM B7 RS4 front and rear ARB's.
OEM B7 front ARB links.

Last edited:
I may have gone all dyslexic but....isn't it ARP head bolts and rod stud kit, APR being the American chip tuning remap etc etc?

I may have gone all dyslexic but....isn't it ARP head bolts and rod stud kit, APR being the American chip tuning remap etc etc?

You're definitely not dyslexic, my error. Thanks for pointing it out, I'll correct it right away.

YEP! The owner of this motor is Philip and he's got a Twin Turbo TTE set up (The Turbo Engineers).

I believe he's now set to run 1200bhp!

Absolutely INSANE. Follow 'them' on facebook.

Yeah 1200 hp, that was just the first clip I came across to post, a seriously fast car :blackrs4:

Reactions: DrStrange
Exterior:

OEM B7 RS4 rear quarter panels, grafted onto B6 rear quarters.
OEM B7 RS4 rear door bulges, grafted onto B6 rear doors.
OEM B7 RS4 side skirts.
OEM B7 RS4 rear bumper, B6 upper section grafted on, to match B6 tailgate and tail lamps.
OEM B7 RS4 fender bulges, including skirt attachment area, grafted onto B6 fenders.
OEM B7 RS4 front bumper flared sides with "gill slits", grafted onto B6 "Votex" bumper, smoothed into 1-piece.
OEM B7 RS4 brushed / matte aluminium trim around the side / door windows.
OEM B8 S5 satin-effect aluminium door mirrors with LED repeaters, mounting "triangle" modified to fit B6 doors.
B6 "RS4-look" hood grille, to match mesh in B6 Votex bumper.

Finished off in Ford Ultimate Green Pearl.

Reactions: DrStrange