Pressed/gelled plates are they legal?

Dan_anthony

Audi A3
Reaction score
recently bought myself some private plates and seen a few cars with the pressed/gelled plates which had also been shortened and wondered is this legal because I quite like them?

It's a big old can of worms really. From what I've read, the minimum size for the plate is 11mm from the edge of the lettering and the plate needs to be on a reflective background with the bs mark and the makers name/postcode

So in other words they are legal if done correctly such as spacing size of lettering etc?

Legal providing they have a reflective background and the font/sizing/spacing is correct. I've run them on my car for a couple of years with no issues.

Legal providing they have a reflective background and the font/sizing/spacing is correct. I've run them on my car for a couple of years with no issues.

That's what I thought seen a few disputes on Facebook about it and the ones I'm looking at are marked and reflective!?

the amount of cars i've seen with small plates (used to be a skyline at work with a plate the size of an iPhone) or stupid spacing makes me think no one bothers enforcing this at all.

Mines slightly smaller than usual, all within the limits of the law, personally I think it looks a lot better

The police can be slack at enforcing it, i went 6 months without a front plate last year after i managed to lose 3 pressed plates due to attaching them with crap double sided tape. At one point i was parked behind a meat wagon picking up the missus from a night out on the town and they didn't notice/care