PCV removal and catch can to atmos question

LSL

Luke
Reaction score
As far as I can tell (I could be very wrong though) the point of the system is to remove burnt oil vapor and introduce fresh and filtered air into the engine. It does this by sucking the dirty air out and into the TIP when boosting.

Now if you've fitted a catch can that vents to atmosphere the two connections to the engine wont be pulling any vacuum so wont the burnt oil vapoury air just mill around in the engine not getting refreshed?

I'm almost certainly being a noob here as I'm sure everyone wouldn't be doing it if it wasn't ok but I'm just curious as I'll hopefully be doing it this weekend.

oil vapour is blown out of the head / block, it needs no vacuum

if venting to atmosphere you need to route the piping somewhere suitable or you'll get that horrible smell through your heater vents.

the whole purpose of a PCV and breather system is to let the engine BREATHE. it relieves pressure in the crank case and the rocker. Its absolutely vital that it can breathe well, especially on a tuned car. Not injesting oily vapours is just an added bonus. the benefits of having it recirculate is that it effectively pulls the vapours out, relieving the crankcase even more.
technically, if you have a catch can fitted that works you could still have the system recirc to the intake and it not ingest anything nasty.
Here is a very good and indepth article to help you understand it:http://www.shophemi.com/images/media/p-2273-arrington_ccv_bible.pdf

Sorry to jump in on this thread but is this easy/ straight forward to do yourself? I'd be interested in doing this myself if its straight forward to do

Thanks for the replies, I guessed that would be the case! And I'll definitely give that article a read karl.

Also does anyone know the ID of the TIP>hockey puck connection off the top of their head?
Oh and do you need to keep both check valves in the brake booster line or just the one on the F shaped pipe :laugh:

Last edited: