Part Sourcing - Torsen Diff

V6_quattro

Reaction score
Hi Guys. After several emails and phone calls and trawling the net im really struggling to locate a part. Im after a Torsen Diff for a 51 plate A4 3.0 Quattro sport 5 speed manual box (Box code is FJV type 01A) I believe this may have been fitted in some late B5's also? Cant even get a reply from some breakers ive tried, any suggestions?

Thanks, Mark

Probably because its part of the rear of the gearbox and the breakers won't split it mate. What's up with yours they are normally bullet proof.

Its been a developing issue for a while, a knocking/thudding noise when pulling away from standing (rolling also) and accelerating in 2nd and 3rds gear, coming from the rear of the car (Only does it when not, not cold) all mounts etc have been checked, rear diff stripped and checked, a lot of play found in torsen diff, which even the garage said was very very unusual. Searching allover but struggling to locate on, don't mind buying a gearbox too if only I could find one, must be hundreds on different gearbox codes!.

I cant even find a full car for sale 3.0 Quattro sport 5 speed!, they are all either 6 speed of auto. So try and get more eyes looking im going to offer a £40 finders fee if someone can find me an FJV type 01A 5 speed gearbox (Quattro obviously) with torsen diff (Just need diff really but will buy box too if necessary)

Thanks for that mate, very encouraging LOL. Must be fairly odd in 5 speed then, which is why surely the FJV 5 speed box must have been fitted to some late B5's, just need to find out which then I can expand my search.

I was told that the clunking noise from my rear diff is the diff mounts that are a serviceable item, or so I have been told......for a smaller cost it might be worth replacing them before forking out for a diff!

I'll have a look at ETKA and see if that sheds any light on the mounts!

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the mounts have been thoroughly checked, even the rear diff has been stripped and checked. The Torsen diff that I need is at the other end of the propshaft (Between prop and gearbox), its only a small thing, but having seen images of it, they are quite a work of art inside..

Reactions: Icarus83
Take the diff out, swap the centre and top washers for steel ones and swap the stack gears end for end and flip them over. Job done. Tight diff once again...

That sounds good. Have you done this with success ?

Are these the washers that you would swap to have more rear bias.

Correct, I done mine 2 months back, the handing definitely is better out of the corners and on the plus side got rid of them thuds and knocks. Just look up 'Audi 4.1' and that's all the info you will need. I can put you in contact with a guy in the USA to send you the washers.

Hi sorry for the thread hijack, I'm having the very same issue with my Allroad 2.5tdi 180bhp with 6 speed manual box. The car drives fine when cold but as soon as its warmed up it starts knocking. Mainly when seeing off in 1st/2nd or when pulling under load. The knocking in sporadic, I'm certain is the torsen diff.
I'm guessing it's because the teeth are worn in the centre diff?
So all I need to do is get the washers and strip the diff swapping the gears? Do you have any more info.
Cheers

My advice is when you pull the diff apart is to make sure you keep everything in order and get the washers made to the same size as yours, as they vary slightly in different models. If your not worried about changing the washers just swap the gears end for end and turn them around that way your running on fresh side of the teeth.

Hi Cheers for the response. That makes sense, I'll try and remove the diff this weekend and see how much wear there is in the teeth, thanks again

Any problems don't be afraid to get in touch.
Good luck