1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Painting Grill Any tips

wobbly box Jul 27, 2019

1. wobbly box

wobbly box Registered User

The grill on my car at the moment is a silver grey colour and all the other plastic trims on the car are black. I’ve picked up another grill which is a dark grey colour but I want to paint it a satin black.
    I ve seen post about using Plasti coat or similar, it I would rather use traditional spray paint.
    I ve seen black spray can in Halfords and also scrap plastic primer, would this also be suitable for painting the chrome. I did look at removing the trim but it would leave gaps. I have removed the Audi rings as I will keep them the way they are.

Any tips for dealing with the chrome trim.

Thanks

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. RichardT

RichardT Registered User

I would suspect that if you spray up your grill with normal aerosol spray that it would great at first. But after a very short time it would chip/wear. You would be dealing with a very thin coat in a very vulnerable position.

4. wobbly box

Yeah that’s my worry. Is Plasticoat type paint harder wearing? Just thought something that can just be pealed off wouldn’t be very durable.

Neil C likes this.
  5. Han4mi

Han4mi Registered User

It depends. If you do it properly it last for a long time. You can't go cheap on the amount of coats. I did mine 9 months ago and it's still good as new.

6. s3bow

s3bow Registered User

I did the black edition swap recently and decided to buy a genuine grille and side grilles instead of painting. The front takes a hammering and my painter mate said he'd rather not paint it as it would just end up looking very second hand very quickly. I think I paid £250 for the grille and £40 each for the sides from TPS.
    I painted the rear diffuser and wrapped the window surrounds.

Chris.

7. Neil C

Neil C Registered User

Pics please

8. s3bow

s3bow Registered User

IMG_7544.jpg IMG_7546.jpg IMG_7550.jpg IMG_7551.jpg IMG_7553.jpg

Neil C likes this.
  9. wobbly box

Nice car, very smart.

I bought a second hand grill, ( very cheaply) it is a dark grey where as mine is a light grey. The idea was paint the second hand grill, if it start to deteriorate I still have the original that I can refit.

s3bow likes this.
  10. wobbly box

One last question, I was cleaning the new grille today and was ready to start the prep work, but I noticed a part number 8V3 853 651 and anotherAU370/373 Sline. Will this grille be a direct swap for the standard SE grille. Don't want to paint it then find it doesn't fit

thanks