Painting Calipers

Jampublic

Taking it easy..
Reaction score
Well I know this is done on a regular basis, but already I have made some mistakes! :(

Everyone has recommended Hammerite, so I rushed out and got paint not spray! Paint needs a second coat in 4 to 8 hours and spray need a second coat is a load less!

So anyone else, Hammerite Spray Paint! ok :)

I have opted for black, so after one coat here is my progress.

brakes-1.jpg

brakes-2.jpg

That is an advantage, no mess so far! Unsure about the finish, I guess with a 2nd coat it will look better?

Yeah, and given todays weather second coat should be ok in an hour or so I reckon...

Ok may have a look at that, put the wheel back on for the moment. Will try and get the drivers side wheel off, its seems to be welded on at the moment! :faint:

Of course abit of wet & dry before makes a big different. On the first rear caliper I did wire brush and a little wet & dry, but on the 2nd rear drivers side I did a fair bit more wet & dry and comes up really nice.

Brake-6.jpg

i used paint... nice sunny day... takes less than 30min before you can apply the 2nd coat. Id suggest stayin away from spray paint for this job

Well can say the more wet & dry action put in, the better the paint finish in the end. Drivers side rear looks great after the first coat.

May spend abit more time getting the front calipers looking nice and smooth, before I paint those tomorrow!

Ah well one more coat, in maybe 30mins then time for a beer! :)

Jampublic said:
me for a beer! :)

Wargrave High Street is cut off due to roadworks, and Waitrose has run out of Kasteel Kru.

I can WALK to the George and Dragon, muhahahahaha

I can't drive since I have only just finished painting the calipers, fancy driving in to Reading for a beer! ;)

jojo said:
Is spraying an option with the calipers off? I fancy doing mine red to match the Brembo fronts.

with the calipers off, better get them sprayed...

Since they are already off, get them reconditioned, sandblasted and powdercoated

I used fast dry enamel paint from B&Q (plasti-kote). It dries within minutes and leaves no brush marks.Been done 6 months now and still look like i did them yesterday.

Well good beer Dave, guess I will get on with the front calipers in the morning! Same again thursday then, this time George & Dragon!

Enjoy

Well I finished of the front calipers last night, slightly rushed but they look ok. Took a few photo's they this morning, since I could not put the steel clip back on till they where dry.

Passenger side:

passenger-sidecaliper.jpg

passenger-side-wheel.jpg

Close up:

close-up.jpg

Driver's side:

driver-sde-caliper.jpg

drivers-side-wheel.jpg

I unsure what I expected going for stealth black, if silver or red I guess they would stand out more behind the wheel. But they look fairly tidy and will have to see how the paint lasts! :ermm: