Paint strength......

RVP20

Reaction score
Just a question for you all, does the strength of paint differ depending on what colour you choose? For example if you choose a solid colour would it be weaker than a metallic of pearl paint and why?

I once read somewhere that white paint was particularly resilient. Metallic or otherwise. Though it's all water based now I think.

Flat paint is softer...no matter what make...they all get abuse no matter what you protect them with....Sepang looks pretty tough though...not bad actually after one years ownership...don't do flat paint, even exclusive flat paints suffer the same fate

Reactions: pburv, Gazjs and DrEskimo
Flat paint is softer...no matter what make...they all get abuse no matter what you protect them with....Sepang looks pretty tough though...not bad actually after one years ownership...don't do flat paint, even exclusive flat paints suffer the same fate

+1

Avoid solid black if you're fussy....

Reactions: pburv

So I take it the special paints (which are flat) on RS models will look rubbish after a few years?

So I take it the special paints (which are flat) on RS models will look rubbish after a few years?

All paints can look rubbish after a few years. Depends how fussy you are. One persons major defects, are another persons minor niggles.

I've heard, and my salesman (and if he thinks the paintwork looks bad, thats really saying something...!) refuses to advise his customers to get solid black since it always looks naff, particularly after a 'dealer prep'.

White is different as defects aren't as noticeable. Might be the same for other flat paints, like Nardo, etc.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Bristle Hound
All paints can look rubbish after a few years. Depends how fussy you are. One persons major defects, are another persons minor niggles.

I've heard, and my salesman (and if he thinks the paintwork looks bad, thats really saying something...!) refuses to advise his customers to get solid black since it always looks naff, particularly after a 'dealer prep'.

White is different as defects aren't as noticeable. Might be the same for other flat paints, like Nardo, etc.

So would nardo look OK as apposed to solid black?

No not all, Exclusive paints are available on any Audi model designation,but you only tend to see them on RS models and some S models and on the rare ocassion S-line,its all about looking after the cars paint no matter what..but more difficult with flat paint...exclusive paints **** Sepang and Panther,daytona used to be exclusive

So would nardo look OK as apposed to solid black?

Sorry buddy have no idea about the paints on RS models. Just the Brilliant black and Ibis white...

In my experience, as others have already said, white's & silver's do hide a lot of marring/swirls
Any black or really dark colours are horrendous to keep nice if you have bad car OCD like some of us on ASN do lol

Doesn't matter what Audi model it is, the paint is the same whether its a humble A1 or a R8

Reactions: pburv
I had a black S1 and the paint was horrendous after 2 months and the paint was to hard confirmed by a paint assessor. I now have white and it does hide a lot but it slill has a few chips here and there but I'll sort them with the touch up kit.

I think everybody I know or have spoken to that has had a black car, have said that they would never get one again!

Reactions: scotty76 and MikeParkin
I think everybody I know or have spoken to that has had a black car, have said that they would never get one again!
I am so that person. Love it....

Clean S4

Hate it....

Dirty S4

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3, ScottishA4B9 and MikeParkin
Iv just collected my new car in Panther and after some light rain and a few miles it dries grey lol I'm on touch less washing just now until the 7th when it goes in for crystal serym black. Hoping the ceramic coating and careful washing is enough to keep marring and swirls at bay.