P0299 - After remap.

Tomjanke117

Reaction score
Evening guys,

At the start of January I had my 2011 Audi A1 1.6 TDI remapped with a DPF & EGR delete. Car has ran like a dream, responsive and much better to drive!

Unfortunately until last night. I have developed little to no power between 1000rpm-2300rpm, then it kicks in like a rocket! Very odd. After a few drives the glow plug light was flashing, plugged in with my scanner to reveal code P0299 Underboost. It actually goes off when you turn the car on/off. Since then I have checked all hoses for leaks, nothing visible at all.

I then removed part of the EGR Valve to discover it absolutely caked in soot. I cannot see any blanking plates installed, is it possible the EGR valve is stuck open and therefore creating an underboost until 2300/2400rpm? I’m thinking about now installing the plates but would love to hear others suggestions!

thanks again, any help is much appreciated

Talk to your tuner about the delete & ask how they actioned this as they may have just disabled via software & forgot the actual physical delete part or it maybe how they do that cars delete.

Regardless of they've messed up then they need to correct it.

Underboost I would look towards the turbo & associated parts, not sure if that's a vaned turbo via vacuum or electrical, either could cause that fault.

Reactions: Tomjanke117
Talk to your tuner about the delete & ask how they actioned this as they may have just disabled via software & forgot the actual physical delete part or it maybe how they do that cars delete.

Regardless of they've messed up then they need to correct it.

Underboost I would look towards the turbo & associated parts, not sure if that's a vaned turbo via vacuum or electrical, either could cause that fault.
morning NHN,

yes I did contact him and he advised that he did the software delete only, he also advised that is all that is necessary. Reading through various posts and forums this doesn’t seem to be the case as the EGR can remain open, so a physical delete is also required to stop anymore gases.

with the turbo, if it had failed or parts associated failed.. would the car still boost above 2300rpm? It feels like normal past this stage, as it was with the remap when first collected. There’s no noises, whooshing or anything I can detect.

Thanks again for the advise!

Hi guys, quick update.

Fitted EGR blank tonight, performance does feel slightly improved however I still have a boost issue before 2300rpm.

Evening guys, thought I’d post an update to help others in the future if need be.

Removed all pipes, checked for leaks etc nothing found and all appeared to be okay.

Checked over the turbo, looked to be in good condition and moved freely.

Left me with the turbo actuator to be replaced, so I ordered the part and arrived Friday afternoon. Very awkward job to remove and the right tools are most definitely needed for this, but it can be done! Took about 1 hour in total (due to a seized bolt) but managed to replace it. Actuator also set up properly, and has now cured the problem! Boost back, car feels great again - ah relief!

Thanks all

Reactions: y0su