P0238 MAP Signal Too High

WheelsOrTits=Problems

Reaction score
Hi all,

Really hoping one of you can help...?

I have a 2008 A3 2.0T FSI on 130k. The car itself runs sweetly and very smoothly, with no EML/MIL, but has always felt under powered, just like my old 2.0 FSI (non turbo) went.

I got hold of VCDS and ran a log today whilst driving, and it came up with the below:

Address 01: Engine (8P0 907 115 T)

13:31:24 Group 115: Charge Pressure Control
760 /min Engine Speed (G28)
18.0 % Engine Load
330.0 mbar Boost Pressure (specified)
2680.0 mbar Boost Pressure (actual)

Now I am aware that the specified and actual are actually the wrong war around, but nevertheless, the specified (2680.0 mbar) didn't change under any circumstances. In fact, the reading was so high that I could not even see it on the graph!

I checked the codes and it came up with:

000568 - Manifold Pressure / Boost Sensor (G31)
P0238 - 001 - Signal too High

Now, imagine my absolute elation that, after all this time, it is just the MAP sensor, and my car will then feel like it has a turbo instead of being an N/A engine. So... I went to order the MAP Sensor, and the chap who works there used to work for Audi for like 30 years, and he said he could order me the part, but he thinks that this is more symptom rather than cure. I get what he is saying, as in a fault code could read misfire bank 1, but that could be spark plug or coil or HT etc. I also don't want to buy parts and have the same issue, but I also don't want to give the local place nearly £80 just to put it on the rolling road and be told that it was the MAP Sensor all along.

I know, it's a *head, desk* thread, and I should just pay the garage to rolling road it, but having just been made redundant I'm really trying to save where I can, and will fit whatever parts myself all being well (though the MAP looks like a right pain in the ***!)

All advice greatly appreciated!

*******SOLVED******* (Info below in case this helps anyone else who was stuck like me)

MAP sensor is easily accessible, and at the front of the engine on the pipe, halfway up. Will try to get pics if I can, but it's just to the right of the centre of the car when looking under the bonnet. You'll see the box with a label on it. I did not have to remove anything at all to access it (and could have changed it quite easily)

Well... There was a split wire to the connector. Sorted this, and it's like a whole new car. I cannot even put into words, only smiles, that this thing is now the rocket I wanted when I bought it. It now feels like a 200bhp car!! And I didn't have to pay a single penny. Very, very happy man.

Now... With what I was expecting to pay to diagnose and repair it, is it worth a stage 1 remap? Or is this (as I expect) just asking for trouble with turbo/clutch etc?

*******SOLVED******* (Info below in case this helps anyone else who was stuck like me)

MAP sensor is easily accessible, and at the front of the engine on the pipe, halfway up. Will try to get pics if I can, but it's just to the right of the centre of the car when looking under the bonnet. You'll see the box with a label on it. I did not have to remove anything at all to access it (and could have changed it quite easily)

Well... There was a split wire to the connector. Sorted this, and it's like a whole new car. I cannot even put into words, only smiles, that this thing is now the rocket I wanted when I bought it. It now feels like a 200bhp car!! And I didn't have to pay a single penny. Very, very happy man.

Now... With what I was expecting to pay to diagnose and repair it, is it worth a stage 1 remap? Or is this (as I expect) just asking for trouble with turbo/clutch etc?
Glad you got it sorted man , go for the St1 but just make sure everything you need is there and check you have no other faults before the map .